Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-05-2009, 01:14 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dropped my 16-50mm on the ground

I accidentaly dropped my 16-50mm lens on the ground when changing lens. It landed on the lens hood, so no damage to the front element of the UV filter. Now I cannot remember whether (when zoomed to max) the front seems slack and not very firm. I don't remember if it was like this before I dropped it, and would like to know what other owners of this lens has to say about it. There are no mechanical issues as I can notice.

Also, for lenses not having IF: when having the lens hood mounted on it when storing it in bags/backpacks it seem to me that it will tear on the mechanical structure since it is mounted on the front section. Are there any guidelilnes go this, or is it not a problem that should worry about?

06-05-2009, 10:56 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
oh wow... I've dropped my DA*50-135 before due to a bad camera bag design and my rushing around during a wedding. It's had no problems though.

What do you mean by slack? Are you asking if there's supposed to be zoom creep?
06-05-2009, 11:03 PM   #3
GSk
Inactive Account

Original Poster
No, there is no zoom creep. Neither before or after I dropped it. The front part of the lens can be moved a little from side to side, and I am not sure if it was like this before I dropped it. Other lenses I've had have not been like this.
06-06-2009, 12:03 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Two of my lenses (Tamron 28-75 and FA 50) have a bit on play on the front part but it doesnt seem to affect anything. I've heard reports of FA 35 with and without play (mine doesn't have play) so you might get different replies from everyone. I'm guessing it depends on your copy.

06-06-2009, 02:06 AM   #5
GSk
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I have not not noticed any change in iq, but my thougth/fear is that when there is some play, lens elements will be in "disorder" and that it must affect quality. I hope that I am completely wrong about this, of course
06-06-2009, 05:52 AM   #6

Our 16-50 has a little play at the front end, so I shouldn't worry.

Ours also took a tumble when the Wife slipped and broke her ankle on honeymoon in February, in the middle of nowhere up a steep hill! Survived fine with just a scratch on the bottom of the lens hood, camera came away with just a scratch on the bottom of the grip. Shame the Wife is more delicate!
06-06-2009, 06:08 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GSk Quote
I have not not noticed any change in iq, but my thougth/fear is that when there is some play, lens elements will be in "disorder" and that it must affect quality. I hope that I am completely wrong about this, of course
Check it out, do some test shots. My Sigma 24mm F1.4 has some from play and it doesn't seem to affect IQ. Of course I bought the lens second hand and it's always had this, so I have no "before" to compare it to. But it seems to be doing quite well.
Since you've shot with the lens before, is there anything that you can go back to and try to recreate the first shot? That might give you a pretty good 'before and after' comparison.

NaCl(it would be a hoot if the lens is significantly BETTER after being dropped)H2O

06-06-2009, 06:44 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My 16-50 hasn't been dropped (at least while I've had it and if it was beforehand, it's been well-repaired) and there is a little play on the front of the lens. There's no doubting the quality of the photos it takes, though.

Hope that helps.
06-06-2009, 07:31 AM   #9

I droppped my 16-50 once too during a busy wedding, and the lens hood "saved" it. The hood got stuck beyond the thread, and I have to use some force to free it. Tested the lens, and luckily no noticeable IQ changes.

Again, I notice a bit of wobble at the front end. But since I didn't pay attention before the incident, I can't tell whether I caused it or its part of the original design.
06-07-2009, 05:29 PM   #10

Sorry, should have mentioned that it had a small wobble before it took a tumble. Our first one also had an exact same wobble out of the box, so it is normal.