Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2009, 03:06 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by glasbak Quote
And I presume, 'lens made in japan' on the aperture ring.
This text is gone in the 7xxxxxx series.
I just had a check, and there's nothing. Apart from the front markings of SMC PENTAX-M 1:1.7 50mm, 338xxxx ASAHI OPT. CO., JAPAN on the front, the focus distances, DOF scales and the apertures, there's no other markings on the lens.

06-07-2009, 09:56 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Taiwan-made lens that I used to have had a plastic trim ring, not aluminum like the Japan version I had now. That was the only difference I remember.
06-08-2009, 06:23 PM   #18

Original Poster
That they have similar quality is all I want to know.
Thank you all for the information and pictures!
06-12-2009, 11:11 AM   #19
Site Supporter

Also, I wonder if the "Asahi Optical. Co., Japan" indicates manufacture in Japan, or just that AOC was based in Japan. I tend to want to see "made in..." to be sure.

06-12-2009, 11:36 AM   #20
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by lawsonstone Quote
Also, I wonder if the "Asahi Optical. Co., Japan" indicates manufacture in Japan, or just that AOC was based in Japan. I tend to want to see "made in..." to be sure.
like Asahi Opticals serial number desigantions, its a bit of a mystery. as far as I know, all m42 Takumars were made in Japan, but earlier lenses (such as the super-takumars) were marked 'Asahi Opt. Co., Lens Made in Japan', all on the beauty ring. with nothing on the barrel. while later Takumars (SMC Takumars) were labeled 'Asahi Opt. Co., Japan' on the beauty ring and 'Lens Made in Japan' on the barrel. so it may or may not signify Japan manufature, depending on when it was made. some evidence would seem to suggest so, while other would seem to suggest otherwise.
06-12-2009, 11:42 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lawsonstone Quote
They did not typically spell out explicitly "made in Japan", either on cameras or lenses. Most items and nearly all of the higher-end lenses were made in Japan. Kit lenses and cheaper cameras may not have been. The newer the camera is, the more likely it was made outside Japan.

I have assumed that when the item says "Japan", it means made in Japan, because when they started making items in other countries, those items dropped the "Japan" from their markings. For many items made in multiple countries, however, the part marked simply "Asahi Optical Co." is easy to replace with a part marked "Asahi Optical Co., Japan". So it may not be worth a great deal to worry about it.
06-12-2009, 11:54 AM   #22
Banned

QuoteQuote:
I have assumed that when the item says "Japan", it means made in Japan, because when they started making items in other countries, those items dropped the "Japan" from their markings.
then why would my SMC Takumars have both 'Asahi Opt. Co., Japan' on the beauty ring and 'Lens Made in Japan' on the barrel? it doesn't really make sense to essentially show Japanese manufacture twice on the lens. if the 'Japan' at the end of Asahi Opt. Co. designates made in japan , then why would any of the lenses also have 'lens made in japan'?
06-13-2009, 02:28 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Also consider that maybe the optics are made in japan, and the assembly is done somewhere else.
I have a pentax F 28-80 (non SMC), where the recessed text 'japan' in the barrel is below a sticker, and that was not by accident.
So the plastic molded part was probably reused outside japan ?

06-13-2009, 03:55 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My M50/1.7s:

803**** says asahi opt. co., japan, but doesn't say where it's made
361**** made in japan