Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2009, 11:56 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Scheduled price increase???

I was looking thru the latest Pop photo issue and was eyeing the DA 21 limited. My jaw dropped when I saw that it is listed at B&H as ~515 USD (up from $429). Across the board all the Pentax lenses were up significantly. I went to BH and the prices were still the same as before but this can't be a typo as all the lenses were higher. BTW, Those thinking of the 31 mm limited. Try ~ 1 grand.

Anyone know? I suspect a price increase with maybe future rebates like certain other brands.

06-06-2009, 07:58 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Now I don't feel so bad that I got my Limited lens after the rebate.
06-06-2009, 08:17 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This happened months ago in Canada and there was a couple of threads on it. The DA* 50-135 went from about $1k to $1.6k and has now settled down to $1.2k -

The last new lens I bought here was the DA 35 ltd , think I paid $429 ?? McBains now has it for $679 ..... the maket place is going to get more of my buisness these days ....

It appears to be hitting the US now.

Last edited by daacon; 06-06-2009 at 08:22 PM.
06-08-2009, 08:47 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeah, I noticed this also. Many lenses went up almost a hundred bucks. In the few weeks while waiting for my tax refund the 10-17 went up about $80. I was fortunate to find one in the marketplace.

06-08-2009, 08:54 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MSM Quote
I was looking thru the latest Pop photo issue and was eyeing the DA 21 limited. My jaw dropped when I saw that it is listed at B&H as ~515 USD (up from $429). Across the board all the Pentax lenses were up significantly. I went to BH and the prices were still the same as before but this can't be a typo as all the lenses were higher. BTW, Those thinking of the 31 mm limited. Try ~ 1 grand.

Anyone know? I suspect a price increase with maybe future rebates like certain other brands.
Actually all brands had this price increase, though I beleive Pentax was a bit more than most but only to bring them in line with C & N. I suspect this is something to do with currency exchange rates being the original trigger.
06-08-2009, 09:06 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MikePerham Quote
Actually all brands had this price increase, though I beleive Pentax was a bit more than most but only to bring them in line with C & N. I suspect this is something to do with currency exchange rates being the original trigger.
My thoughts exactly. The yen was increasing steadily against the dollar until mid April, it has since fallen a bit, but still not to where it was last winter. Price increases tend to lag currency exchange rates. If the yen continues to fall I expect lens prices will fall also, maybe by autumn.

NaCl(parity with canikon is still an issue tho)H2O
06-08-2009, 09:15 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Tbh, you should have seen it comming, The price increase happened for the rest of the world around New years. US isnt imune to global finances.
06-08-2009, 11:19 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by melander Quote
Tbh, you should have seen it comming, The price increase happened for the rest of the world around New years.
Not here in the UK it didn't, ours is just about to happen and rises look to be in the 50%+ bracket.