Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2009, 09:32 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
Originally Posted by Just1MoreDave
This 52mm filter size is a peculiarity of the K lenses. Even when the optical design was unchanged from Takumar to K to M (such as the 50/4 and 100/4 macros), the K versions were the only ones with 52mm filter threads.

Yep that's correct, there were no "K" series lenses with a 49mm filter thread.

06-11-2009, 02:52 PM   #32

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Yep that's correct, there were no "K" series lenses with a 49mm filter thread.
The 85/2.2 Soft has a 49mm thread i think although i've never used one so i could be wrong.
06-11-2009, 03:12 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
The 85/2.2 Soft has a 49mm thread i think although i've never used one so i could be wrong.
No you are correct. Even though this lens came out in 1986, eleven years after the first "K" series lenses, it's still technically a "K" lens. So I stand corrected, thanks for pointing this out.

Phil
06-12-2009, 03:16 AM   #34

Yes, all is OK if we talk about the M42 vs the K lenses, but what happens between M42 takumars 55/1,8?

Which is better, if any, the ST, the S -M- C or the SMC 55/1,8?

Rino.

06-12-2009, 03:29 AM   #35
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by estudleon Quote
Yes, all is OK if we talk about the M42 vs the K lenses, but what happens between M42 takumars 55/1,8?

Rino.
the last SMC version is the best concerning the lens coating. but these three 55's all have the same optical formula. performnce difference will be most noteable between the super and the SMC. between the S-M-C and SMC not so much if at all.
06-12-2009, 03:56 AM   #36

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
the last SMC version is the best concerning the lens coating. but these three 55's all have the same optical formula. performnce difference will be most noteable between the super and the SMC. .
Thanks. Very quickly and complete, super usefull.

Thanks again.
06-12-2009, 06:51 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I love my AUTO-Tak 55/1.8, while it has the same optical formula as my SMC, it is also more beautifully made, and the coating is simpler, probably different than on a Super, which results in a different look to photos. I wouldn't want to let either go.

06-12-2009, 07:22 AM   #38
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
I love my AUTO-Tak 55/1.8, while it has the same optical formula as my SMC, it is also more beautifully made, and the coating is simpler, probably different than on a Super, which results in a different look to photos. I wouldn't want to let either go.

I actually prefer my auto-takumar over the others as well. I really enjoy the flare once in a while. its just more fun to use than the others.
06-12-2009, 11:08 AM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by estudleon Quote

Rino.
There are mechanical and coating differences but the same optical design and six-blade aperture. Here's a group photo showing some of the possible variations:

The SMC version has the rubber focus grip. I've seen a few of these lenses with failing glue on the focus distance scale, causing the scale to unravel and scrape against other parts when focusing. For a while, this just sounds awful until the scale comes off entirely. It prejudices me against the rubber focus grip lenses, though I can fix it. These have the mechanical upgrades for open aperture metering on the later M42 cameras. Pentax said at the time that SMC was an enhanced version of Super-Multi-Coated, though they look pretty much the same.

The Super-Multi-Coated version isn't in that photo, but it would have a metal focus ring. These might have parts for open aperture metering or not, depending on age.

The photo shows three variations of Super-Takumars. The rubber focus grip version is probably rare, probably meant to use up leftover glass and parts. I'm certain that the coatings were not SMC, and internal screws were common, not phillips like in newer lenses. It is set up for open aperture metering too. The oldest version uses a different font. Some people really like the look of the older coatings.

When I got these lenses, they were cheap enough to buy several and choose yourself. Sometimes the popularity spikes and prices rise, but the supply is large enough to keep prices from getting too high.
06-12-2009, 07:24 PM   #40
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
I actually prefer my auto-takumar over the others as well. I really enjoy the flare once in a while. its just more fun to use than the others.
+1

BTW... Glad you like it Séamuis...

woof!
06-13-2009, 06:24 AM   #41
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
+1

BTW... Glad you like it Séamuis...

woof!
I absolutely love it. its my favorite 55.