Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2007, 04:31 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Help with possible 50 1.7 A issue

Hello everyone,

I just picked up a 50 1.7 A lens to use on my K10D. I put it on last night for the first time, set the aperture ring to A, set it to P mode and took a few shots. Every thing appears to work right except the largest aperture it displays is f2.0. Try as I might it won't go to f1.7. I've tried removing the lens and checking the stop down lever, manually rotating through all the apertures, and resetting it to A several times. The blades feel like the move freely enough. Still the same thing, f2.0 nothing lower. Am I missing something?

thanks

Dave

04-26-2007, 05:50 AM   #2
Veteran Member

You just picked up a used lens that is somehwere between 18 and 23 years old. You don't know when it was in regular use. The contacts may be dirty or oxided. (I assume your camera works just fine with all other "A" lenses you have.)

Clean the contacts on the lens by wiping them carefully. Also touch the cameras contacts with the cleaning sheet and try again. Then mount the lens and set the camera to the Av mode. Turn the wheel and see what aperture values you can choose. Maybe it helps or not. If not I don't know what it can be.
04-26-2007, 06:10 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I don't think there are any contacts on the lens, as it is full manual. Right? I don't think I remember seeing any on there. I was under the impression the camera body stopped the lens down via the little protruding lever on the lens mount. The only other lens I have is the kit lens, and it works fine. I didn't try Av yet, not sure why. I did try M and there was no difference.

Dave
04-26-2007, 07:19 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you have an "A" setting on your aperture ring, there are contacts on the lens. They're necessary to provide a route of communication between your lens and camera body regarding aperture. It's the same route the "2.0" info showing up in your viewfinder travelled at some point.

They'll just look like little dots. They match up with the small contacts around the periphery of your camera body's lens mount, down near the release button.

04-26-2007, 07:19 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Why not have a look at the lens? I think there is a contact on it. But what it does? I don't know. Maybe it reports max aperture opening.

As it is an A lens you should try Av mode. The M mode is after all pretty compromised by the camera's inability to read the light stopped down.
04-26-2007, 07:25 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks guys, I'll check it out. Unfortunately I'm at work right now, so no access to the lens.

Thanks agin,

Dave
04-26-2007, 05:23 PM   #7
Veteran Member

You mean, you dont take your camera to work with you?
04-27-2007, 04:58 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I wish Well, I tried to clean the contacts last night, no luck. Still the same, P mode or Av, lowest displayed aperture is f2.0. Kind of at a loss, thinking about just contacting the seller about returning it.

dave

04-27-2007, 06:09 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I would go in camera settings and change aperture setting steps from 1/2 to 1/3. It might be that when it gets to f2.0 it can only jump to f1.5 which is not available.
04-27-2007, 06:17 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I'm sorry to hear that Dave. Denis idea is worth a try though. I seem to remember that the A50/1.7 went to f/1.7 on my DS when set to half stops in the menu but that might have changed with the K10D. (And it is after all half a stop from f/2 to f/1.7.)
Denis' suggestion is probbaly the only thing left to try.
04-27-2007, 07:09 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Yeah I thought that might be it too, unfortunately that was actually one of the first things I tried. I may try one other thing. I'm giving my wife her anniversary present of a (new to her) Pentax DS this weekend. I might try to check it on there to see if acts the same. On a side note, with all this checking out of the camera, I noticed I appear to have front focus issues, so I'm going to hav eto check that out further

Dave
04-27-2007, 06:17 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I know this is really obvious but you did activate the custom setting to allow for manual aperture ring eh?
04-28-2007, 01:56 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
You mean, you dont take your camera to work with you?
Mine sits at my elbow, like a faithful hound, while I am at work.