Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-07-2009, 01:07 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Ultra Wide Angle Primes, DA15mm best choice?

Hi all, I've decided to LBA myself an ultra wide prime and have just about settled on the Pentax DA 15mm Limited (when it's available in Australia). I would prefer the f2.8 of the 14mm but am looking for a low profile lens and I am not particularly attracted to the Sigma 15mm. I already have the Sigma 10-20mm zoom and Pentax FAJ 18-35mm (from MZ-5n days) for wide angle zoom use.

The somewhat reserved DP review of the 15mm doesn't bother me too much after seeing Sailor's images https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/60355-new-da-1...ed-11-img.html.

I am a prime lens devotee with the three FA limited and 28, 40 ,50, 135 in my kit. Body will be K20D mainly but I like the old *istd for a small walkaround camera which currently has an FA28 or M40 pancake attached.

So the question is Pentax 14 or 15, or Sigma 15. What would you select?

Some reviews of the DA15mm on the Forum would be nice!

David

06-07-2009, 02:25 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi David,
Have the DA 14 and yes, its pretty darn good. I am loathe to buy anything not f2.8 (or faster) as it does come in handy more times than I care to recall. I guess iso speeds counter that to some degree.

I have added the DA 21 (f3.2) as my 'go everywhere/ travel light' wide angle, and will eventually add another pancake or two for that light weight travel option, as well as the 'inconspicuous factor' pancakes give.

I do not know the 15mm but am sure someone will jump in with some hands on knowledge.
Cheers
Grant
06-07-2009, 03:16 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi David.

An interesting dilemma you have. Have you spent any time with either lens? I have the Pentax 14mm f2.8 and I understand your reservation about size. Nonetheless, it's a good lens with nice colour rendition and control of flare, and the coverage is impressive. Seeing we're in the same city, if you want to try the 14, you're quite welcome to.

I'm getting used to the 16-50 DA* at the moment, so the 14's having a rest.

Coincidentally, I've got an *istD and the 31 and 77 FA primes, as well as a K20D.

Rob
06-07-2009, 04:12 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Hi David.

An interesting dilemma you have. Have you spent any time with either lens? I have the Pentax 14mm f2.8 and I understand your reservation about size. Nonetheless, it's a good lens with nice colour rendition and control of flare, and the coverage is impressive. Seeing we're in the same city, if you want to try the 14, you're quite welcome to.

Coincidentally, I've got an *istD and the 31 and 77 FA primes, as well as a K20D.

Rob
Great offer there Rob.. a true gentleman I must say.

By the way mate, how are you finding the DA*16-50. I got mine before getting the FA31 limited(have the FA77 as well) .. and I still love that lens its my favourite zoom and I use it mainly at its short end.

Cheers

Neil

06-07-2009, 04:28 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nulla Quote
Great offer there Rob.. a true gentleman I must say.

By the way mate, how are you finding the DA*16-50. I got mine before getting the FA31 limited(have the FA77 as well) .. and I still love that lens its my favourite zoom and I use it mainly at its short end.

Cheers

Neil
You're too kind, Neil. One tries, you know...

I was pretty impressed with Adrian Owerko's 16-50, when I saw him with it at McLaren Vale, this Easter, so LBA took over, naturally. I must say I wasn't disappointed with the one I picked up from a fellow Forum member in NYC, a few weeks ago.

For its size and cost, the "kit" 18-55 is amazingly good, but the 16-50 is head and shoulders over it, as you'd expect for the price. My outfit includes a Voigtlander 58/1.4, so the primes span the 16-50 range and, of course, they do things the zoom can't hope to match except for its rapid versatility.

Adrian, by the way, was the source of my 14/2.8, which brings me back to the topic at hand. His collection of DA*s is pretty impressive, too, although I can't remember if he had the 15mm Pentax.
06-07-2009, 07:10 AM   #6

Da15

You know you want it
06-07-2009, 08:57 AM   #7
and
Veteran Member

While I dont think the da15 is a bad lens, its main features are the build quality and the size. If you get the 16-50 f2.8 then the da 15 is only 1mm wider and 1 stop slower.

So if it were me Id go for the da 14 instead.

06-07-2009, 12:27 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by David Quote
I would prefer the f2.8 of the 14mm but am looking for a low profile lens...
Nyaa nyaa, you can't have both!

Given your kit of primes I'd think that the DA15 would be a natural fit - its compact and shares filters with the others. The DA14 is going to be a bit of a chore to bring along and you'll probably neeed a new set of filters for it. My experience with the DA12-24 is that it's pretty each to grab indoor shots at F/4 because the SR is so effective at these wide focal lengths.
06-07-2009, 02:14 PM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by mrcrontab Quote
You know you want it
That is an impressive shot! Magical light right there.
06-07-2009, 04:49 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi David.

Rob
Thanks RobA, and yes to your offer and will be in touch via pm. I look forward to meeting you.

Take care,

David
06-07-2009, 04:55 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mrcrontab Quote
You know you want it
That's not fair, beautiful shot. I can't even buy the 15mm in Oz yet.

Used to live in Peachtree country in '66/67, had a ball.

Take care,

David
06-08-2009, 01:12 AM   #12

Thanks.

Showing off aside, the size and lightness of the da15 has come in handy for me far more than the extra speed of the da14, since I mostly use it outdoors during walks.

Everyones needs differ of course.

It is my go-to guy for small aperture wide scapes outdoors and doesn't see much use indoors or low light conditions so far. Indoors I tend to be going after people, and da15 is not my preferred people weapon.
06-08-2009, 01:22 AM   #13
Veteran Member

that is a great shot Mrcrontab
06-08-2009, 01:57 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi David.

Rob
It's a small small world. RobA_Oz rang me after my PM with details and he was working in an office about 200 yards from my flat in Hobart

I've now got the 14mm to play with!

We were wondering how many other Tasmanian Pentax devotees reside in Tasmania and if we could get together. Not sure where to post a general query (can moderator help?).

David
06-17-2009, 12:35 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Saved from LBA Da* 15mm Limited

Hi David.

Rob
I posted a few weeks ago re the DA* 15mm Limited for a prime WA lens even though I have the Sigma 10-20mm. For some reason I still can't identify I wasn't happy with the Sigma (I do like primes).

I took Rob up on his offer of a lend of the DA 14mm. Nice piece of glass!! However, after careful comparison between the Sigma and Pentax wide angles I couldn't really tell the difference between them at 14mm. So after reviewing tests of all three lens I have survived the LBA and will happily stick with my now trusty Sigma 10-20mm.

Thanks Rob, you saved me about Aus$1000. Now what can I spend the money on?

Off topic, how many other Tasmanians are there in Pentax land? If this message connects could you send me a PM for possible gathering or whatever.

Thanks again, Rob

David