Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2009, 04:01 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
The second photo with the 2 windsurfers gives some proportion to the photo plus the background is nicer at f11. Your shot is focused good, it's just the narrow DOF that gives it that look. I would crop it tighter and maybe some adjustments in PP.
Which ultimately brings up the question, why bother getting the 300/4 and shoot it at f/11 if for just about the same price i could've gotten the 55-300 to do the same thing? That thing looks mean, that's for sure... but what's the point if i have to stop is down considerably to get usable results?

06-09-2009, 08:16 PM   #17
F16

'Usable' is the wrong word to choose. There's nothing wrong with the lens at F4, you just happen to dislike the look a long telephoto at a large aperture gave you. The look will vary somewhat from one lens to the next, but take any 300mm lens and shoot the same shot at F4 and you'll get a pretty similar image with any of them.
06-09-2009, 08:17 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just because in this particular situation the perspective happened to be one in which shallow DOF led you (but not, apparently, everyone) to see an issue with the image doesn't mean f/4 is *unusable*. It just means that in certain cases, shallow DOF might not be what you want, so you'll want to stop down. So what? That's true of all lenses.
06-10-2009, 07:48 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I wasn't implying that you should get another lens. Sometimes a shot just doesn't come out the way we would like because cameras and lenses aren't quite the same as our eyes. The 55-300 would probably produce a similar picture in the same conditions. Its not a fault of the lens, its just how they work. The nice thing digital offers us is the ability to fairly easily salvage a photo that isn't quite "right" and make improvements in post processing. I'm not being critical, I'm speaking from experience. I'm a master at "slightly off" photos.

06-10-2009, 08:37 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by alexeyga Quote
Actually so far the one thing i've enjoyed about this lens is the fact that it's the MF one... And i'm mostly shooting focused down to infinity (or just shy of it) anyways... Need more practice and more windy days... though when it's blowing, i'm with these guys out there....

Anyways... i think it's just the right combination of things.... aperture wide open+shotting almost facing the sun+highly contrasted subject... just to say that I was somewhat puzzled with some pics...
I must admit I dont usually use this lens at infinity. I use it for wild life, and a 4 inch bird at infinity may not even be the size of one pixle

focused much closer in and with a 1.7x AF TC attached can give excellent results