Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2009, 05:19 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Just curious, but what is the ballpark cost of one of these. Don't worry, I'm not looking for one, but I am curious.

06-08-2009, 05:24 PM   #17
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
Just curious, but what is the ballpark cost of one of these. Don't worry, I'm not looking for one, but I am curious.
I would guesstimate somewhere between five and six hundred USD.
06-08-2009, 06:56 PM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by redpigeons Quote
I WANT THIS LENS!!

PLEASE SELL IT TO ME IF YOU HAVE IT!! I've looked every where!!

Edit:PS.. its the FA 20mm f/2.8 (but if you don't know that you cant really help me any way )
From reviews I've read, the DA 21mm limited produces better results. Easier to find as well...$429 from B&H.

Pentax SMC-FA 20mm f/2.8 Review / Test Report

QuoteQuote:
Verdict
The Pentax SMC-FA 20mm f/2.8 is a pretty good lens but the current SMC-DA 21mm f/3.2 Limited is a little better all-in-all. That said the differences aren't really pronounced enough to justify an upgrade if you own the older lens. The general performance is actually very good except at wide-open aperture where the FA 20mm f/2.8 suffers from a relatively weak border performance combined with rather low contrast and high vignetting. To be fair that's a fate it shares with many lenses in this range. From f/4 onwards the situation is much better with an excellent center quality and good to very good borders. The amount for barrel distortions is a bit too pronounced for a fix-focal lens whereas CAs are only a real problem beyond f/8. The build quality of the lens is Ok but it can't really rival the Pentax Limited series here
06-08-2009, 07:22 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by redpigeons Quote
I just know my luck the first DA lens that I will buy and Pentax will announce a FF camera.
If/when, I will gladly offer to purchase your obsolete DA glass at half price.

06-09-2009, 01:27 AM   #20
axl
Veteran Member

and I'll be 2nd in the que...
06-09-2009, 01:36 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Aside from being harder to find and more expensive, I really don't see too much of an advantage with the A 20mm f/2.8 over the DA 21mm f/3.2 Limited. The A lens needs to be stopped down to at least f/4 which sort of negates the maximum aperture advantage. Where the DA 21mm wins hands down is the fact that it has quick AF. Focusing with wide angles can be a challenge when almost everything looks like being in focus in the viewfinder, unless you rely on hyperfocal shooting. The DA lens has Quick Shift anyway, so manual adjustment is very easy. Plus it is super small. I had a chance to get the A 20mm but I'm glad I got the DA 21mm instead. Another alternative is the FA 20-35mm f/4 zoom, a lens with very punchy colour rendition.
06-09-2009, 02:32 AM   #22
emr

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Aside from being harder to find and more expensive, I really don't see too much of an advantage with the A 20mm f/2.8 over the DA 21mm f/3.2 Limited.
Two letters: FF. Even if one doesn't believe in Pentax FF DSLR, there's always film SLRs. And the OP mentioned wanting the ability to use it on his film body.
06-09-2009, 03:16 AM   #23
Veteran Member

I've also been looking for a Pentax 20mm f/2.8. Though I may have to settle for a Voigtlander 20mm f/3.5 instead.

06-09-2009, 04:10 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Aside from being harder to find and more expensive, I really don't see too much of an advantage with the A 20mm f/2.8 over the DA 21mm f/3.2 Limited. The A lens needs to be stopped down to at least f/4 which sort of negates the maximum aperture advantage. Where the DA 21mm wins hands down is the fact that it has quick AF. Focusing with wide angles can be a challenge when almost everything looks like being in focus in the viewfinder, unless you rely on hyperfocal shooting. The DA lens has Quick Shift anyway, so manual adjustment is very easy. Plus it is super small. I had a chance to get the A 20mm but I'm glad I got the DA 21mm instead. Another alternative is the FA 20-35mm f/4 zoom, a lens with very punchy colour rendition.
Creampuff, I have both the FA 20mm F2.8 and the FA 20-35mm F4 zoom and I have to disagree with you about stopping down to f4. I've found my copy to be pretty sharp at F2.8. I don't own the DA 21mm so I cannot comment on focus speed, but I manually focus most of the time anyway so that is not a big point with me. What I really like about the FA 20mm F2.8 is color rendition, nice creamy bokeh, the complete lack of any distortion, it balances perfectly on both the K10D and K20D, and it's both very sharp and moderately fast.
The FA 20-35 is almost a perfect garden lens, excellent color rendition, good close focus capability, and perfect zoom range. The downsides are not as good bokeh as the 20mm and F4.
Unfortunately I am at work so cannot provide samples at this point, I'll post some tonight to prove my points.

NaCl(I'll rate the FA 20mm F2.8 right up there with my 43 and 77 ltds)H2O
06-09-2009, 04:25 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
Cardinal, IIRC I got mine at Adorama early last year, E+ condition for around 625 usd.

NaCl(some of the best camera related money I've ever spent)H2O
06-09-2009, 05:55 AM   #26
Veteran Member

NaClH2O, nice to know that you have a good copy.
The copy my German client had that he offered to pass to me wasn't terribly sharp at the corners wide open. Well the FA lenses do offer that punchy colour and I had a lot of fun with my FA 20-35mm.
At any rate on APS-C, the 20/21mm focal length becomes just a moderate wideangle in terms of field of view and as I like to shoot quickly and was looking for something small, going the AF route with the DA 21 was my choice.
06-09-2009, 06:51 AM   #27
Veteran Member

The 20mm can be used on 35mm film, so it wins.
06-09-2009, 06:56 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Pentax should reissue the lens road map and give us more D-FA lenses
lenses that optimize for Digital and film and everybody wins !
D-FA star zooms would be fantastic too

thou for my own personal needs ... seeing the new oly made e understand that soon or later I would get an hybrid camera ... its perfect for me and for what I shoot ..

I am just waiting for one that is not 4/3 so yeah either way you guys might be able to buy my APS-C lenses in the future
06-09-2009, 07:13 AM   #29

I've got one of these but I'm not sure about selling it...............sorry. It's a great lens.

But then again I didn't realise that it's worth $US 600 either Hmmm, maybe I could be persuaded after all, I'll have to think about this

Last edited by carlb; 06-09-2009 at 07:21 AM. Reason: Updated comments
06-09-2009, 07:25 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by carlb Quote
I've got one of these but I'm not sure about selling it...............sorry. It's a great lens.

But then again I didn't realise that it's worth $US 600 either Hmmm, maybe I could be persuaded after all, I'll have to think about this
well think about it and if you do please send me a privet message