Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2009, 05:44 AM   #1
Veteran Member

70-200mm hsm II

Just a few quick questions about this lens...

1) I know there are some issues with Tele converters and this lens because of the HSM. Which ones will give full control over the lens (AF etc.)

2) Is the HSM II version better at 200mm wide open than the original HSM version? I have been looking around for reviews but cannot get the answer to this question...

Thanks for anyone who has input!

06-09-2009, 07:57 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bwield Quote
Just a few quick questions about this lens...

1) I know there are some issues with Tele converters and this lens because of the HSM. Which ones will give full control over the lens (AF etc.)

2) Is the HSM II version better at 200mm wide open than the original HSM version? I have been looking around for reviews but cannot get the answer to this question...

Thanks for anyone who has input!
Assuming you are talking about the SIGMA version, I'm certain that Sigma sells a specific 2x converter that will only support a few lenses, including their 70-200 f2.8 HSM lens.
I've tried it in a shop on my K10D, all functions worked fine then.

- Bert
06-09-2009, 08:44 AM   #3
Inactive Account

There are only a couple of TCs that will work with the II HSM version. One is Tamron and the other is Kenko but be careful with the Kenko, I bought the wrong one by mistake! Sigma are are still working on their compatible versions.. If you search you should find a few posts about this very topic.. I just got a replacement 70-200 HSM II yesterday, my first one had serious softness issues... wish I'd of got the Tamron to be honest..
06-11-2009, 05:20 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The newer Sigma 70-200mm are not a patch on the old ones.
I have the MKI 70-200mm f2.8 APO EX along with the 1.4x and 2x converters.

I have hardly used it with the 2x converter as I keep hearing stories about bad IQ when the pair are matched but the other day I gave it a go.

Rather impressed actually.

Wide open with 2x Tc

One stop down with 2x Tc