Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2009, 06:27 AM   #1

Query--85mm f1.4 for Pentax

I am currently looking into purchasing an 85mm f1.4 lens for my K100D, and I have a query that I'm hoping someone here might be able to help me with. I have read a number of reviews for the Samyang/Vivitar/Polar 85mm for Pentax, and I am very interested in purchasing the lens.

My dilemma at present is where to purchase it from. Being based in Australia, I have little option but to purchase the lens over the internet. There is currently an item listed on Ebay in Australia--85mm f1.4 for Pentax. It looks very similar to the Samyang/Vivitar lens, but the barrel has no brand label. I emailed the seller (an online ebay store) to query about the branding of the lens and the email I received back said the following:
QuoteQuote:
These lenses are manufactured in the same factory in Japan and Korea as
brands such as Nikon & Phoenix. They are the same specifications and quality
but without the markup for a brand name. Because we purchase in bulk, these
big factories take our orders and we can supply at much lower prices.
The seller has 99.7% positive feedback, which seems good, but I'm a little nervous about buying a lens that has no branding at all. My other option is to purchase the Vivitar branded lens through Adorama.com (who I've dealt with before very happily), but this would add more than $50 to the cost of the lens for me.

I suppose I'm wondering if anyone might have some advice about purchasing under such circumstances. Purchasing third-party lenses doesn't bother me; it's the fact that it has NO branding that is a concern. (Although the seller does state that the item comes with a manufacturers warranty--but then I don't know who the manufacturer is!) Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Rayenna

06-09-2009, 07:53 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
try the following at samyang

Ben Kim
Manager of Sales & Marketing
Samyang Optics Co.,Ltd.
Tel: +82-2-784-9961 (ext 202)
Dir: +82-2-552-3393
Fax: +82-2-784-1440
Email: seoul@syopt.com

he may be able to advise who markets the lenses in your region.
06-09-2009, 08:09 AM   #3

Hi Rayenna,
some of the new 85mm f1.4's don't have an A setting (Rokinon, Opteka); I would ask the seller if it does. If it doesn't, it might be worth spending the extra $50 on the Vivitar.
06-09-2009, 09:09 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the vivitar which does have the A setting.

I made sure before I bought it that this was the case, however, when you look at photos some are K mount and some are KA mount.

the K mount usually, as Mile High indicated, is $50 less than the KA mount.

06-09-2009, 02:52 PM   #5
roy
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
i'd go for the KA..
it'll also resell higher if you need too..
06-09-2009, 08:49 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
some of the new 85mm f1.4's don't have an A setting
I did ask the seller if there is an A setting and they advised me that it does.
QuoteQuote:
when you look at photos some are K mount and some are KA mount
I didn't check about the mount, although the item is listed as being for Pentax DSLRs (which I was assuming meant it would be KA, but now I'm thinking I should ask that question also).

Actually, I'm now leaning toward paying the little extra for the peace of mind and knowledge that the lens is legitimate. Thankfully for me I have family who will be in the US in a couple of weeks so I can get the lens shipped in country and save on postage. ^^ Although I just had a thought--would this effect my warranty? I'll need to check that out, I believe.

Thanks for the thoughts--I'm looking forward to getting this lens!