Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2009, 06:44 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I should have it in a week. I'll post some sample images once I do along with the final price and anything else that might be of interest.

Thanks again to all for the info.

06-18-2009, 07:13 AM   #17

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lensscribe
How small the world has become - Iám sitting here in Stellenbosch and also eyeing the lens - maybe we need to come to an arrangement........ggggggggg
06-19-2009, 03:34 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hello georgecape, increasingly small world indeed.

Haha, yes, I suspect a number of local Pentax users are eyeing it. I've been chasing it since the auction started and anticipate a great deal of action on it come Wednesday.

Maybe we could come to a joint-custody agreement? You take even months, I take odd? We'd certainly make a courier company very happy!

Why is it that all the decent secondhand sellers are in Cape Town?
06-24-2009, 01:30 PM   #19
Forum Member

Well having watched this auction close I can imagine your tension in the last few minutes :<), I was also going to bid on the lens but I'm really trying to finish building my collection of M lenses and restrained myself. 2.8 and APO always make my mouth water but zooms are not my forte.
Regards
Greg
Pretoria

06-25-2009, 05:00 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hey Greg,

Yeah, other than the kit, I've never bought any zooms before. I love the A and FA primes. The last few minutes were a little tense, clearly someone was testing to see what limit I'd set, and hoping to just outdo it. I was at a dinner, and excused myself to go and sit outside in the cold with my phone and watch it wind down.

Thankfully when the other bidder realised I was watching it s/he stopped trying, but I had visions of it climbing well over the 3k mark and having to sit outside for half an hour.

It's arriving tomorrow, and I'm headed to a game farm this weekend, so will post some tester pics next week. Here's hoping it's as good as expected

Mmm, M primes. Are there many good secondhand camera stores in Pretoria? Seems to me most of them are in Cape Town.

Craig
06-25-2009, 05:53 AM   #21
Forum Member

Hi,

BEWARE that lens was designed for a RIKOH KP/R mount camera and according to the seller it has a pin protruding from the lens mount, this will JAMB in the focus screw drive of the Pentax and will lock the lens. You have to first remove the pin fron the lens before you can use the lens.

There are many posts in the forum about this BIG problem.

Regards
Greg
06-25-2009, 08:19 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hey hey,

Thanks for the heads-up. Yeah, I'm aware of the potential pin problem, and have already packed the necessary tools to do the 'surgery'. I'm not particularly concerned, I have a Vivitar that had the over-sized flange problem, so am quite happy to doctor lenses where necessary.

Have you ever been to Ludwig's in Pretoria, and is it worth a visit if you have?

C
06-25-2009, 08:48 AM   #23
Forum Member

>Have you ever been to Ludwig's in Pretoria, and is it worth a visit if you have?

Yes, bought a lot of stuff from him, Pentax K F8 1000mm, Pentax M42 135 F3.5, Novoflex 400mm/600mm e.t.c and he has sold some of my equipment.

Greg

06-30-2009, 03:12 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Cool, I've heard good things. I'll definitely stop in next time I'm in PTA.

So, the lens arrived. It's a beauty - clearly lovingly looked after by the previous owner. I'll post some pictures from it later this week.
07-03-2009, 03:05 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Right, so the pin is tiny, rounded, and spring loaded, and doesn't present any problems, so I haven't bothered to remove it. Even without AF engaged (to push the pin back) there are no problems putting it on camera or taking it off.

Herewith, a selection of sample pics from this monster lens. I've included a number of 100% crops.

[210mm/f2.8]
Johannesburg's Telkom tower as viewed from Constitution Hill, almost two KMs away, in a car, at dusk, handheld.

--

[+/-140mm/f5]
Leaves with a crane in the background and a 100% crop.

--

[+/-70mm/f8]
A swimming pool brush and 100% crop.

--

[+/-200mm/f7.1]
This is one of the coolest test shots I think, simply because the rendering of the hanging chain, and the fact that you can actually make out the operator knocking off shift is just awesome. Not to mention the fact that the sun was rapidly vanishing (hence the muddy colours).

I love this lens.

I'll submit some pictures of it, and a review, in months to come when I've used it more, and gotten over the honeymoon besottedness. At the moment, there's no way I'd be objective.