Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2006, 05:31 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Which one better - pentax DFA100mm or tamron 90mm macro?

Read plenty about tamron 90mm macro or sigma 105. Not too sure how much pentax lenses would differ from these 2 lenses?

No reviews comparing these lenses against DFA on line or in magazines as if DFA 100 macro does not exist ( only Fa 100 macro )

Tamron seems to give such sharp centre image with fantastic colour rendition. Very tempting. I have sigma 150 f2.8 macro for canon so not interested in getting that.

Comments appreciated :

thanks in advance

11-02-2006, 03:22 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Hi roentarre

The Tamron is cheaper (since the Pentax rebate only works in US) and easier to get in Melbourne. Sharpness-wise, the Tamron is said to be sharper wide open (relatively speaking, since both lenses perform superbly) but this becomes a non-issue because when you are taking macros, you will probably want as much depth of field (ie stopping down) as possible.

The DFA100 has the added advantage of quick-shift which will be really handy when doing macro since you will probably want to do manual focusing most of the time. And you get the Pentax color rendering that so many people seem to like.

The Sigma 105 seems to come last when you compare it to the other two lenses but the lens actually performs very very well from all the images I have seen posted. Not to mention it is the cheapest out of the three, or at least in US anyway.

Botom line, as long as you don't get a bad copy (like I did with the Tamron, returned and got my refund), all 3 leneses are superb! If you are on a budget, get the Sigma. If wide-open sharpness is important, get the Tamron. If you want to stick with Pentax, like the quick-shift function and money is not an issue, get the DFA100/2.8.

cheers
Kenny
11-02-2006, 05:10 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Hi roentarre,

I have owned and used both these lenses, both for a short period as I'm not that interested in macros really - they were used for a short term project each only.

Some of my experiences are here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/289-100mm-macro.html
from where I quote myself:

QuoteQuote:
SMCP DFA100/2.8 and the Tamron 90/2.8 Macro 1:1 Di (the current model, Di means Digital, meaning extra coating on the back of the rear element ensuring no reflections from the AA filter will bounce around).

The winner is the Tamron, thanks to lower price, better resolution at large aperture openings, better build quality, focus delimiter, recessed front element making it unnecessary to use the bulky lens hood. The DFA100/2.8 has a tad better coating and probably better resale value and a ugly bad hood, a plastic build, no focus delimiter and somewhat less resolution at f 2.8 - f8 (as I recall it). For macro shots at small aperture openenings they produced equally good pictures.
Other opinions in the thread of course... To me the SMCP DFA10072.8 was a little flimsy, or better expressed, it felt flimsy. I'm not a big fan of that QuickShift function of Pentax'. I don't like the feeling of it. Still, if you are going to use the lens as a macro only any of them will serve you just fine, just a bit different.

Good luck,

Jonas
11-02-2006, 05:14 PM   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by kjao Quote
-snipped-
The DFA100 has the added advantage of quick-shift which will be really handy when doing macro since you will probably want to do manual focusing most of the time. And you get the Pentax color rendering that so many people seem to like.
And what is that color rendering, really? I have never really succeeded to see it and I have pestered people with nosy questions about it and even tried to make people at the DPR forum to define what color rendering really is. Nothing. So, please allow me to ask in a friendly way; do you see anything special or noteworthy with color rendering from Pentax lenses compared to other brands (and I do suppose, of course, that the usual green fringe seen in OOF areas is not what you mean )?

regards,

Jonas

11-02-2006, 05:35 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Hi Jonas

When I said "Pentax color rendering" I mean the color from straight out-of-camera photos are more to my liking. I guess you can probably get the same rendering thru PP but that's more work.

It is like I find DA lenses (at least kit lens) tend to produce more vivid/bright color than FA lenses (which I prefer).

cheers
Kenny
11-02-2006, 07:20 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Ok Kenny,

thank you for getting back on this,

--
regards,

Jonas
11-02-2006, 09:59 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you all for the input.

I had seen the great shots from mo and RedHawk's classic vintage shots... impressive