Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2009, 11:22 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

It seems to be 77ltd week! I've been casually snapping away with mine almost exclusively.

06-17-2009, 08:40 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Original Poster
...Nice colours here!
06-17-2009, 09:35 PM   #18
Inactive Account

Sell it

QuoteOriginally posted by Electric Eye Quote
Am I crazy to even think of trading or selling to get a DA 12-24MM or something similar?
Of course not. I used to have one and sold it with no regrets. The Canadian price for this lens is now officially insane. It's worth too much money now if you don't dearly, dearly love it. I prefer my DA70 which is now waaaay cheaper (try Canadian eBay seller prodigital2000). With the price difference, get more DA lenses in a focal length you prefer. FA's were designed for film, I didn't really like 77mm on digital. Nice lens, strange focal length. Very few non-cropped keepers for me anyhow. Others will vociferously disagree...
06-17-2009, 09:39 PM   #19
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Here's what I would do: put your 18-55 away for a full week, and force yourself to use the 77ltd. Go on walkabouts with it, start 'seeing' at 77mm. Shoot some portraits, some flora.

Pretty soon you'll start seeing the effect this lens can have on your photography, and it will become indispensable. But to get to that point you have to put away your kit lens for at least one week.

Good advice!

06-18-2009, 02:49 PM   #20
nah

Well I just picked one up from eBay for $527 CND with shipping and tax in. I heard too many good things about this lens, so I just had to see what the commotion was all about. Hopefully it arrives next week.
06-18-2009, 02:56 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

It seems to be 77ltd week! I've been casually snapping away with mine almost exclusively.

Jay as usual... you are a prove that its the photographer not the lens

but its is very very sharp
06-18-2009, 03:05 PM   #22
Veteran Member

...Just bought this lens a couple months past and it works great and all,I just find I leave it in my camera case as I tend to do wider angle photography the most.Am I crazy to even think of trading or selling to get a DA 12-24MM or something similar?.Will I regret selling in the future when my tastes change to portraits or something?.I have seriously taken about 100 shots with it but I use my 18-55mm kit lens all the time as its wider.Everything people say about the 77mm is true but I just cannot get enough in the frame.So frazzled over this!

Not at all. I have the 70 and it rarely see's the light of day. I own the 12-24 and it is an incredible lens. Use what you use and discard what you don't. I find I use the 12-24, 16-50, 31 and 40 Ltd's more than anything else I have.
06-18-2009, 03:21 PM   #23
Veteran Member

in general wide is more useful for "walk around"
but some times you just need the extra reach then you wish you had a zoom lens and not a stupid prime

just kidding .

I just bought the 77mm I do use wide almost always and currently the sigma 24mm is always in my camera (even tho IQ wise ..this is my worst lens )

if 12-24 is what you need get it...

Pentax currently don't have the wide lens that I need which is FA * 20mm 2.8 pancake ... so I keep buying more long lenses that I don't really need

06-18-2009, 10:56 PM   #24
Veteran Member

This is a classic lens. I would love to own a second copy if you really do not want to keep it
06-22-2009, 08:48 PM   #25
Site Supporter

Original Poster
FA77mm?,Should I keep it?

...Well I still haven't managed to get my 77mm out of the case folks.I have been on 2 excursions since my last post and have yet to let the lens see the light of day.I will still try to do the 77mm exercise as previously mentioned and I hope all will be good!.On a better note I have come into a few hundred extra bucks and almost have enough for the Sigma 10-20mm.Maybe the family of lenses can all live together?...lol!
06-22-2009, 09:51 PM   #26
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
...Well I still haven't managed to get my 77mm out of the case folks.I have been on 2 excursions since my last post and have yet to let the lens see the light of day.I will still try to do the 77mm exercise as previously mentioned and I hope all will be good!.On a better note I have come into a few hundred extra bucks and almost have enough for the Sigma 10-20mm.Maybe the family of lenses can all live together?...lol!
What I finally had to do was to try a different kind of photography. I took my 77 to the Wednesday evening bicycle races held in a large park on the east side of Portland. Yes, I took my artsy-fartsy 77/1.8 limited to the races to do sports photography.

I felt sort of silly out there with my tiny lens when the other photogs had huge gray beasts. I also got a hard lesson on just how poor the AF is for the K10D/77 limited combo when attempting to track rapid movement of a group of bobbing, swooping, weaving riders. I finally turned the AF completely off and set the camera to TAv mode. Wow is that the perfect solution when the light is crummy and the action is quick. Set the shutter speed and aperture for what you want and let the camera find the correct ISO.

I then found a good vantage point where I could see the approaching pelaton, prefocused on a good spot and waited for the bikes to come charging past. I can't say that I got a ton of great shots, but they truthfully weren't too bad considering that this was my first try shooting action! Was it the best use for the 77 ltd? Ha! Ha! Probably not! Am I more comfortable with the lens? Definitely!

Here are the best of the bunch...

Steve
06-23-2009, 12:21 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Great post Steve

really like the second shot mate... well done

I must put your theory to use .

cheers

Neil
06-23-2009, 04:41 AM   #28
Site Supporter

Original Poster
...Brave!,very brave!.I must come up with the courage to do something like that if it ever stops raining????????????????????????
06-23-2009, 09:35 AM   #29
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for the positive strokes.

Steve