Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-10-2009, 08:49 PM   #1

FA77mm?,Should I keep it?

...Just bought this lens a couple months past and it works great and all,I just find I leave it in my camera case as I tend to do wider angle photography the most.Am I crazy to even think of trading or selling to get a DA 12-24MM or something similar?.Will I regret selling in the future when my tastes change to portraits or something?.I have seriously taken about 100 shots with it but I use my 18-55mm kit lens all the time as its wider.Everything people say about the 77mm is true but I just cannot get enough in the frame.So frazzled over this!

06-10-2009, 08:54 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
There is no right answer to this. I seldom use tele but I keep the nice ones anyway cos I just appreciate well made stuffs. As long as I am not starving, I just let them sit in my room.
06-10-2009, 09:10 PM   #3

Original Poster
77mm

...If I had a super wide already I would not even think of trading/selling,but it is such a nice lens,hard to give up,maybe I should just save up fer a wide angle and be happy!
06-10-2009, 09:12 PM   #4
Damn Brit

It's not going to get any cheaper so if you can afford to keep it, maybe you should.

06-10-2009, 09:20 PM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you don't use it, you won't miss it.
Though when you come to doing some portraits you may look for it and it's not there...
Tough choice, but like others, I'll say if you can afford to keep it, keep it.
There would be an endless number of people just on this forum who would love to take it from you!
06-10-2009, 09:27 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Electric Eye Quote
...Just bought this lens a couple months past and it works great and all,I just find I leave it in my camera case as I tend to do wider angle photography the most.Am I crazy to even think of trading or selling to get a DA 12-24MM or something similar?.Will I regret selling in the future when my tastes change to portraits or something?.I have seriously taken about 100 shots with it but I use my 18-55mm kit lens all the time as its wider.Everything people say about the 77mm is true but I just cannot get enough in the frame.So frazzled over this!

Here's what I would do: put your 18-55 away for a full week, and force yourself to use the 77ltd. Go on walkabouts with it, start 'seeing' at 77mm. Shoot some portraits, some flora.

Pretty soon you'll start seeing the effect this lens can have on your photography, and it will become indispensable. But to get to that point you have to put away your kit lens for at least one week.

06-10-2009, 11:52 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I agree with Jay

06-11-2009, 02:09 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have to say that I agree with Jay, too.

It's an interesting exercise that I find useful to keep the "usual" more interesting. The last time I did this was in the lead-up to the appearance of the Nifty-50, when I made myself walk around with an older 50mm SMC Takumar on my camera, just to get myself back in the way of seeing things with a particular fixed focal-length lens.

I've got both the 31 and 77 limited lenses, and I find that the 31 gets used more, simply because it's closer to the "natural" field of view, and perhaps easier to use from that perspective. Forcing oneself to see in a narrower field of view can be a little daunting at first, but I think I'd agree that your pictures get better, the longer you stick with the one lens policy.

There probably are practical limits to the focal length that you could usefully do this with, though.
06-11-2009, 04:26 AM   #9

Original Poster
77mm

...Thanks folks!
I will give that a try,I will see life from a 77mm perspective for a week or so and re-evaluate the situation from there.I was just going crazy with using the kit lens when I know that 77mm is in the cam case and I didn't want to use it!.Appreciate everyones input!
06-11-2009, 06:38 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Here's what I would do: put your 18-55 away for a full week, and force yourself to use the 77ltd. Go on walkabouts with it, start 'seeing' at 77mm. Shoot some portraits, some flora.

Pretty soon you'll start seeing the effect this lens can have on your photography, and it will become indispensable. But to get to that point you have to put away your kit lens for at least one week.

I also agree with Jay. This is an exercise I put myself through any time I get a new lens. As others have noted, it should allow you to "understand" the lens -- what it does well, what it struggles with and, with some lenses like the 77, what it blows you away with. In its element, this is a phenomenal lens and I suspect that if you take the time to learn it you will be loathe to part with it. Indeed, as I have discovered, this can be an expensive exercise -- good as the kit lens is, it can't hold a candle to the 77 and you may find yourself looking at the 15,21,31,40,43, Limiteds as well as the * lenses. Dave
06-11-2009, 06:45 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Gee I am the opposite, I adore the focal length, it's just perfect for me, but would kill for a MKII to improve contrast wide open, CA's and the sluggish AF.
06-11-2009, 07:16 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I am in a similar quandary. On impulse, I bought a FA 77 a couple of weeks ago. It is a beautiful lens and is capable of truly beautiful images. The only problem is that I too tend to favor the wider focal lengths. To complicate matters, the 77 shares space in the bag with the very interesting Jupiter-9 85/2. While the J-9 is not good for every situation, it provides some very real competition when it comes to portraits and still-life/floral photos.

So, after having read this thread, I pledge to put all the other lenses away for a couple of weeks and use the FA 77mm exclusively.

Steve
06-11-2009, 07:21 PM   #13

Original Poster
77mm

...United we stand brutha's!.I hope this exercise puts me in a better frame of mind!...lol!
06-15-2009, 07:34 AM   #14
Forum Member

Keep it ! Keep it ! Keep it !

At least for a year. If by that time you are sure you will not regret parting with it you will get your money's worth back and more.

A couple of weeks after I bought my copy I used it exclusivly at a 20+ people Birthday party for my very old aunt. I used it all evening without flash in rooms lit by daylight and rooms lit by regular lightbulbs, some dim, some brighter. I took many candid and non-candid portraits and group portraits, people of all ages. Every photo is beautiful. Even in such somewhat more cramped quarters I loved using it. The rendering of this lens is outstanding and of a flavor all its own. I've also tried to use it at noon on very sunny days and it performed amazingly.

I say part with this lens only the day you part with your last pentax (D)SLR.
06-15-2009, 08:01 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think your usage will go in cycles and also upon taking trips etc.

if you are budget limited and you don't mind manual focus you could consider either a jupiter - 9 or the samyang 85 F1.4, and use the left ovver money for a 12-24 or sigma 10-20