Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2009, 02:18 PM   #16
F16

The genuine adapter is always the first thought, and I also suggest that you should have one. But for longer lenses if I won't be using the lens in a near infinity focus situation, I won't use a genuine adapter (I have a couple of them), I much prefer using my 3rd party flanged adapter. The flange is only .75mm on mine, so it adds very little extension, so the longer the lens, the further it will allow focus and with some long telephotos may even allow infinity focus. With a 135mm lens for example, it will allow focusing out to around 50 feet. It's quicker and easier to use than the genuine adapter and they are very cheap, no spring to mess with, just mount/dismount like a K lens. Obviously if you're using a shorter lens or expect to be focusing near infinity, then you're still going to want to get a genuine adapter. But I now use my 3rd party flanged adapter as often as my genuine adapters.

06-25-2009, 06:11 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by F16 Quote
The genuine adapter is always the first thought, and I also suggest that you should have one. But for longer lenses if I won't be using the lens in a near infinity focus situation, I won't use a genuine adapter (I have a couple of them), I much prefer using my 3rd party flanged adapter. The flange is only .75mm on mine, so it adds very little extension, so the longer the lens, the further it will allow focus and with some long telephotos may even allow infinity focus. With a 135mm lens for example, it will allow focusing out to around 50 feet. It's quicker and easier to use than the genuine adapter and they are very cheap, no spring to mess with, just mount/dismount like a K lens. Obviously if you're using a shorter lens or expect to be focusing near infinity, then you're still going to want to get a genuine adapter. But I now use my 3rd party flanged adapter as often as my genuine adapters.
Interesting thought, F16. I guess I had read too many stories about the lenses or adapters getting stuck when a third party adapter was used. Where did you get yours?

I've only snapped a few shots with the Tair--I can't wait to leave on my camera for a whole day.

Here are two around the house:

I also made a small post about it in my new photo blog (the link's in my sig). I already know I'm gonna love this lens.
06-25-2009, 10:46 PM   #18
F16

There are a lot of similar flanged adapters, this is the one I bought - pro M42 to Pentax PK adapter for k10d k100d K110D DS DL - eBay (item 200279278051 end time Jul-20-09 18:59:26 PDT)

The complaints relate to the 'imitation' versions of the genuine pentax adapter, the adapters that work in the same manner but often need a tool to remove the adapter. The version I linked to is even safer and more foolproof than the genuine adapter (no spring, easier to thread/remove, and easily left on a lens). However it does not allow infinity focus as mentioned, because of the flange. Again, depending on the lens in use or the situation, this adapter can work fine - if, for example, I'm using a lens for portraits or close-ups, I grab this adapter (or just leave it threaded on the lens and mount it like that).