Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2009, 05:54 AM   #1

Wide dilemma

I "need" a normal wide to complement the 10-17. I'm looking at DA15, but found a K 15/3.5 and is thoroughly tempted by the old glass. Any opinions/comparisons etc?

06-11-2009, 06:15 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by thomascdk Quote
I "need" a normal wide to complement the 10-17. I'm looking at DA15, but found a K 15/3.5 and is thoroughly tempted by the old glass. Any opinions/comparisons etc?
I believe it was codesigned between Pentax and Zeiss, and it is supposed to be very good, but perhaps not as excellent as the K18/3.5, but of course wider. What do they want for the K15/3.5?
06-11-2009, 06:23 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
What do they want for the K15/3.5?
~€400

[message has to be 10 characters]
06-11-2009, 10:54 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I don't have the DA15, but I do have the K15/3.5. It's very nice and has an absolutely amazing field of view on my film cameras, but the crop factor really takes a toll. I really don't use it any more now that I have the DA12-24.

You should be aware that it's a LOT bigger and heavier than the DA15. In fact it's comparable to the DA12-24 in size and weight:

06-12-2009, 12:27 AM   #5

Original Poster
Those pics almost makes the case for the old glass for me. What a beauty.
06-12-2009, 03:17 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The "dial-in" filter is such a cool feature. I have this feature on my K17 f4 fisheye.

The K15 would be a great lens to own, but you have to be aware that it might be lacking contrast compared to the DA. Although the glass will be (hopefully) excellent , don't forget that the digital sensor is more sensitive to stray light than film. Although the K has SMC it wont be as good as the coating on the DA lens and on sunny days you might find the pictures flatter than what the DA can produce. Perhaps an owner can confirm?

Dont get me wrong, I want one of these lenses too (there are a couple on ebay now and might well bid). Just be aware that for general use, the DA would probably be a better all rounder.
06-12-2009, 04:00 AM   #7
Banned

those 15mm's were supposed to have been manufactured in m42 just before the switch to K mount. id love to have an m42 version... and yes this lens was co designed with Carl Zeiss, in fact the Zeiss version is highly regarded among zeiss fans. it was also used by Leica (Super-Elmar) even though when comparing the original version from both manufacturers, the pentax version is superior due to the Aspherical element that Asahi Optical briefly used. this is likely one of the best wide angle lenses you can buy. said to be perfectly corrected for distortion and coma. as well as being the most interesting due to its heritage and connection to two of the most well known and regard optics manufacturers. speaks volumes for Asahi Optical and the lenses they were producing at the time.

06-12-2009, 07:27 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks! I've been thinking. And shooting in the rain with the 50-135. I think I'll get the 16-50 as a practicial lens and the K15 for the joy - if it's a decent copy. Best of both worlds?!
06-12-2009, 07:35 AM   #9
Banned

Thanks! I've been thinking. And shooting in the rain with the 50-135. I think I'll get the 16-50 as a practicial lens and the K15 for the joy - if it's a decent copy. Best of both worlds?!

I could hardly argue. if you can afford the K along with the 16-50, I say go for it.
06-16-2009, 09:24 AM   #10

Original Poster
Well, I bought the 15mm. What a beauty. It has a slight dent on the hood, but the glass is perfect. What a beauty! (I know I repeat myself). And with the original case too. I'll post some photos of and with shortly...

Also got a M50/1.2. Perfect condition.

From a very respectable camera shop too. For a combined price of ~€530. Not too bad, I think.

Bad news for Pentax though. The shop wasn't interested in Pentax (or to be precise - the shops customers). They had one(!) K20D sitting on the shelves for 18 months before returning it. And this is a shop that caters for the serious high end. They have 50 on the waiting list for the Canon top model (5-thingy) etc. And are very serious about used glass. I'm happy with my purchase, but sad about Pentax. The shop told me it was all about no FF from Pentax.
06-17-2009, 03:28 AM   #11
Banned

you got both lenses for that price? hell the 50mm can go for that price on a good day. so can the 15mm, even higher in some cases. you pretty much got one of these lenses for free based on average prices, id say you got one hell of a deal! im quite jealous of the 15mm. I look forward to some photos.
06-17-2009, 04:04 AM   #12

I have posted an example with the A15/3.5 in the A club.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/32801-club-5.html

Mike
06-17-2009, 04:15 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
The "dial-in" filter is such a cool feature. I have this feature on my K17 f4 fisheye.

The K15 would be a great lens to own, but you have to be aware that it might be lacking contrast compared to the DA. Although the glass will be (hopefully) excellent , don't forget that the digital sensor is more sensitive to stray light than film. Although the K has SMC it wont be as good as the coating on the DA lens and on sunny days you might find the pictures flatter than what the DA can produce. Perhaps an owner can confirm?

Dont get me wrong, I want one of these lenses too (there are a couple on ebay now and might well bid). Just be aware that for general use, the DA would probably be a better all rounder.
The K 15/3.5 is tack sharp and has very high contrast and beautiful, vivid colour rendering - even on digital. As I don't have the DA15, I cannot compare the results, but the K15 leaves nothing to be desired, except in flare resistance. Flaring is heavy, when shooting directly into the sun and I would expect much better performance with a modern multi-coating. Even my Sigma 15-30 zoom displays much less flaring than the K15. - Apart from that the mechanics of the K15 are amazing - a real gem of a lens.

Ben
06-17-2009, 04:34 AM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
you got both lenses for that price? hell the 50mm can go for that price on a good day. so can the 15mm, even higher in some cases. you pretty much got one of these lenses for free based on average prices, id say you got one hell of a deal! im quite jealous of the 15mm. I look forward to some photos.
Yup. Got a ~€130 discount for taking both lenses of their hands :-D

I was aware of the flare issue before I bought it, but the lens is a beauty and the deal so good I could probably make a profit selling it (not going to happen). The metal Asahi Pentax lens cap alone is pure joy.

I've just shot a few pictures and so far contrast and colors looks very, very good to me. Will post some shortly.
06-17-2009, 05:56 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
The K 15/3.5 is tack sharp and has very high contrast and beautiful, vivid colour rendering - even on digital. As I don't have the DA15, I cannot compare the results, but the K15 leaves nothing to be desired, except in flare resistance. Flaring is heavy, when shooting directly into the sun and I would expect much better performance with a modern multi-coating. Even my Sigma 15-30 zoom displays much less flaring than the K15. - Apart from that the mechanics of the K15 are amazing - a real gem of a lens.

Ben
I have the A15, and it's also very prone to flare even with the SMC-coating! It must be the large curved front lens causing it. Because my M20/F4 has a very good flare resistance, that also apply to the K24/F3.5 as well, and both have the SMC-coating.

Mike