Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2009, 08:43 AM   #1
Forum Member
ndy4eva's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC Canada
Posts: 60
Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM

I'm looking for wide angle lens and I saw this one from Sigma's website. It seems it's pretty new lens. It seems it's better than older 10-20mm f4-5.6 and might be better than Pentax DA 12-24m.

Does anyone know when this will be available for pentax?

Sigma - Lenses

Thanks,

06-11-2009, 09:36 AM   #2
Pentaxian
Mike.P's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: South Coast .. UK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,754
Dont think its been released for Canon or Nikon yet and you can usually add 6 months on for the Pentax and Sony mounts once it has.
Go for the 12-24mm ... superb lens and I will bet the Sigma is going to be expensive.
06-11-2009, 10:21 AM   #3
K-9
Veteran Member
K-9's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: USA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,966
The May issue of Digital Photo tested 12 current wide angle zooms and the Sigma was rated the best (the older F stop one, not the just coming out 3.5) and the Pentax ranked the worst and actually was dead last. It showed pics with some bad fringing and softness at f4, and this internet review also shows CA is a little too high for my liking on the Pentax:

Pentax DA 12-24mm f/4 AL ED [IF] - Review / Test Report

There's also someone with a review on BandH about the horrible CA/purple fringing of this lens.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=NavBar&A=getItemDetail&Q=&...rToReadReviews

I would definitely go with the Sigma, and even the current one as it will be cheaper than the new f3.5. Both should be cheaper than the Pentax, and from what I've seen, better IQ.

Last edited by K-9; 06-11-2009 at 10:30 AM.
06-11-2009, 06:03 PM   #4
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Albuquerque NM
Photos: Albums
Posts: 192
I call sigma today .They explaine to me HSM option only for Canon and Nikon.
Sigma for pentax doest build with HSM option

06-11-2009, 06:17 PM   #5
Veteran Member
MoiVous's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 671
Go for the Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 if you can't wait - its an awesome lens.
It now lives almost permanently on my K200d for streetscapes and landscapes.

The secret is to use an aperture around f8 and use manual focus set at about 1m. With hyperfocal distances, you get almost everything in focus.

But don't try the on camera flash - nasty shadows!
06-11-2009, 07:03 PM   #6
Veteran Member
bimjo's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Pasco, WA
Posts: 967
Having an 82mm filter ring is a potential show stopper for me, though the constant aperture might overcome that. Unlikely though considering I seldom use my 10-20 wide open anyway.
06-11-2009, 07:06 PM   #7
Pentaxian
jgredline's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: LosAngeles, Ca.
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,587
QuoteOriginally posted by MoiVous Quote
Go for the Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 if you can't wait - its an awesome lens.
It now lives almost permanently on my K200d for streetscapes and landscapes.

The secret is to use an aperture around f8 and use manual focus set at about 1m. With hyperfocal distances, you get almost everything in focus.

But don't try the on camera flash - nasty shadows!
Agreed. One of my most beloved lenses!
06-11-2009, 07:50 PM   #8
Pentaxian
jgredline's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: LosAngeles, Ca.
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,587




These next few where all at hyperfocal.








06-11-2009, 08:08 PM   #9
Forum Member




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Queen creek, az
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 79
odd test

They did not really explain in the test why it was the worst optically and also stated that they tested all lenses on a 12mp body. So - either they used an adapter or were sloppy in their discription of the test. (The Pentax crop looked better than several of the others) I actually picked up that mag for the first time a couple days ago and was not impressed. They stated that the Fuji f200fd had better IQ and detail than the lx3 and had a big Fuji f200fd add on the back cover. I do have the sigma 10-20 and love it but from what I have seen the Pentax is much more consistent corner to corner.


QuoteOriginally posted by K-9 Quote
The May issue of Digital Photo tested 12 current wide angle zooms and the Sigma was rated the best (the older F stop one, not the just coming out 3.5) and the Pentax ranked the worst and actually was dead last. It showed pics with some bad fringing and softness at f4, and this internet review also shows CA is a little too high for my liking on the Pentax:

Pentax DA 12-24mm f/4 AL ED [IF] - Review / Test Report

There's also someone with a review on BandH about the horrible CA/purple fringing of this lens.
Pentax | SMCP-DA 12-24mm f/4 ED AL Autofocus Lens | 21577 | B&H

I would definitely go with the Sigma, and even the current one as it will be cheaper than the new f3.5. Both should be cheaper than the Pentax, and from what I've seen, better IQ.
06-12-2009, 06:01 AM   #10
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Boston, PRofMA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,053
QuoteOriginally posted by bimjo Quote
though the constant aperture might overcome that. Unlikely though considering I seldom use my 10-20 wide open anyway.
It always puzzles me when people say the constant aperture matters...on the current 10-20, I'm usually at f/11 or f/13, so f/3.5 doesn't matter to me unless that means it's sharper at f/11


QuoteOriginally posted by amicah22 Quote
the Pentax is much more consistent corner to corner.
Because it's probably less wide. The wider it is, the more real world things map to a single pixel. I hated my 10-20 initially because I pixel peeped...then realized it's not meant to be used that way...
06-12-2009, 07:04 AM   #11
Veteran Member
bimjo's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Pasco, WA
Posts: 967
QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
It always puzzles me when people say the constant aperture matters...on the current 10-20, I'm usually at f/11 or f/13, so f/3.5 doesn't matter to me unless that means it's sharper at f/11
Because some of us have crappy eyesight and sometimes like to manual focus & more light in the viewfinder is better than less?

Might just be me though.
06-12-2009, 08:19 AM   #12
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Boston, PRofMA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,053
QuoteOriginally posted by bimjo Quote
Because some of us have crappy eyesight and sometimes like to manual focus & more light in the viewfinder is better than less?
I don't even bother focusing...just set to hyperfocal and frame it up and shoot...I use it as a landscape lens mostly...
06-12-2009, 08:39 AM   #13
Pentaxian
jgredline's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: LosAngeles, Ca.
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,587
QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
I don't even bother focusing...just set to hyperfocal and frame it up and shoot...I use it as a landscape lens mostly...
Same here. F/8 and hyperfocal and good to go!
06-12-2009, 10:36 AM   #14
Veteran Member
Jewelltrail's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Rhode Island
Photos: Albums
Posts: 4,180
The original Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 is a great lens--I love it.


Great shots jgredline!
06-12-2009, 10:41 AM   #15
Pentaxian
jgredline's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: LosAngeles, Ca.
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,587
QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
The original Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 is a great lens--I love it.


Great shots jgredline!
Thank you!. I find it to be one of my favorite street lenses. I usually always have it at F/8 with F/11 being max for me. If I where shooting landscapes, I am sure I would go smaller, so it is hard for me to see where F/3.5 would be of benefit to me. I see a much larger, heavier lens being used at F/8
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
10-20mm, f3.5 ex dc, k-mount, lens, pentax, pentax lens, sigma, sigma 10-20mm f3.5, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - Sold: Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM (CONUS) luke0622 Sold Items 4 04-27-2010 05:40 PM
For Sale - Sold: SIgma EX HSM 10-20mm f/4-5.6 for Canon wallyb Sold Items 3 12-19-2009 06:31 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:44 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top