Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-12-2009, 04:28 AM   #16

Original Poster
thank you

thanks for all of the info --- I will just keep checking to see what is available thru the sources you guys listed. The one thing that strikes me as odd is that KEH and the other retailers seem to not have are the fast "*" AF zooms. I know pentax used to make f2.8 pro zooms like a 28-70 and70-200. It justs seems odd that I have never seen any of these available used, of course I only look every so often but still you would think someone is selling these types of lenses. You guys all know that if a person wanted to purchase a used nikon or canon pro zoom there would be dozens to choose from. Not picking on pentax at all --- if I was I would still not own my k10 ( and seriously considering the k7 )

kman

06-12-2009, 04:55 AM   #17
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by kmanlaker Quote
thanks for all of the info --- I will just keep checking to see what is available thru the sources you guys listed. The one thing that strikes me as odd is that KEH and the other retailers seem to not have are the fast "*" AF zooms. I know pentax used to make f2.8 pro zooms like a 28-70 and70-200. It justs seems odd that I have never seen any of these available used, of course I only look every so often but still you would think someone is selling these types of lenses. You guys all know that if a person wanted to purchase a used nikon or canon pro zoom there would be dozens to choose from. Not picking on pentax at all --- if I was I would still not own my k10 ( and seriously considering the k7 )

kman

that can be easily explained. everyone who owns such lenses wont give them up. couple this with the fact that less people use the pentax system, you then get less of these lenses on the second hand market.
06-12-2009, 05:00 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

kman
Just to be clear, if you do a search on EBay for pentax mount lenses, at any time there are between 300 and 400 lenses. New and used, and in all mounts from M42 to KafJ (Kafj being the crippled K mount)

Fast glass is always expensive, but in looking at nikon lately (because you can modify nikon to mount onto pentax), although there are a lot more lenses available they also cost as much if not more than pentax.
06-12-2009, 05:48 AM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Just to be clear, if you do a search on EBay for pentax mount lenses, at any time there are between 300 and 400 lenses. New and used, and in all mounts from M42 to KafJ (Kafj being the crippled K mount)

Fast glass is always expensive, but in looking at nikon lately (because you can modify nikon to mount onto pentax), although there are a lot more lenses available they also cost as much if not more than pentax.
Help me out I forget why is it called the "crippled" mount??

kman

06-12-2009, 05:57 AM   #20
Banned

Help me out I forget why is it called the "crippled" mount??

kman
because it lacks the mechanical stop-down coupler. which means it is incapable of metering with pre-A lenses. ie the camera can no longer communicate with the lens on what aperture you are set to. (pentax shifted from mechanical linkage to electrical contact) thus metering is only accurate at the widest aperture. this is not a problem with m42 lenses, but with K and M Kmount lenses you have no way (before the green button) to stop down the lens.

this piece would be #4 in the diagrams.

Last edited by séamuis; 06-12-2009 at 06:11 AM.
06-12-2009, 07:31 AM   #21

Original Poster
thank you for the crippled diagram ---- very good info

kman
06-12-2009, 07:56 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
because it lacks the mechanical stop-down coupler. which means it is incapable of metering with pre-A lenses. ie the camera can no longer communicate with the lens on what aperture you are set to. (pentax shifted from mechanical linkage to electrical contact) thus metering is only accurate at the widest aperture. this is not a problem with m42 lenses, but with K and M Kmount lenses you have no way (before the green button) to stop down the lens.

this piece would be #4 in the diagrams.

very good set of photos.

2 points to add

on most KA, and higher mounts, not all of the greyscale contacts are present, In fact on KA mounts there are insulators where no contact is needed and the lens base shorts the body contacts where required,

you are also missing the AF drive screw on the KA2 mount
06-12-2009, 08:26 AM   #23
Banned

very good set of photos.

2 points to add

on most KA, and higher mounts, not all of the greyscale contacts are present, In fact on KA mounts there are insulators where no contact is needed and the lens base shorts the body contacts where required,

I didn't make these. they are linked from aoch.it

06-12-2009, 09:50 AM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
According to my database, I bought 210 lenses on eBay for about $6700 (includes shipping)..
ALL OF YOUR LENSES ARE BELONG TO US
06-12-2009, 09:50 AM   #25
Pentaxian

There isn't one. The KA2 mount was only used on the MZ-M/ZX-M cameras, which are manual focus only.
06-12-2009, 10:19 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter

kman
kman, I'd keep checking the KEH "In transit" category. Frequently they will list some pretty good lens there. If you find a lens you are interested in, give them your e-mail and they will let you know as soon as the lens arrives. For popular lenses, this can frequently be your only option. The good ones go fast. One minor quibble is that occasionally the "in transit" lens never appears at KEH.

NaCl(good hunting!)H2O
06-12-2009, 10:59 AM   #27
Pentaxian

According to my database, I bought 210 lenses on eBay for about $6700 (includes shipping).
Thanks for making me feel better about my LBA! :-)
06-12-2009, 11:07 AM   #28
Pentaxian

There isn't one. The KA2 mount was only used on the MZ-M/ZX-M cameras, which are manual focus only.
interesting, I didn't know that. I suppose there is hope then for a MF dslr?
06-12-2009, 02:05 PM   #29

Photos: Gallery
shopgoodwill.com is a great source, though it has become more and more popular by the month. Not so many steals there anymore. Funny, the finest condition lenses I have came from this source. These are raw estate items that have not passed through a single resale.

Ebay is always a good source. Look closely at complete kits with bag, etc. Estate stuff. Sometimes there is a gem in there that got missed or is not listed correctly. Occasionally, there will be a Chinon kit populated with Pentax lenses that are hardly noted. Did I just say that? Hope no one reads this...

Craigslist or any want ad can work for you famously. Keep in mind, these sellers all think their basic camera kit is worth as much as they paid for it 30 years ago: K1000, 50mm lens, and four rolls of film, $250.00. On the other hand, the seller may not recognize a really valuable item, sell it for the same $250.00. You have to be persistent, it is a matter of probability that you fine the rare items.