Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2009, 10:56 AM   #1

used Pentax Lenses - where are they??

I have purchased a couple if used lenses from KEH but they seem to not have a large selection. Without going the ebay route ( sorry I do not care for ebay ) where do you guys/gals find used lenses in the USA ??

kman

06-11-2009, 11:28 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Adorama and B&H have used sections, similar to KEH - higher prices, but less risk. Craigslist might work in some areas. The marketplace here has a good selection.

You might want to learn to care for eBay. It worked for me. I had 2 lenses when I got my DSLR, which I got with the kit lens. According to my database, I bought 210 lenses on eBay for about $6700 (includes shipping). Yes, some transactions were not perfect but most were great. I also learned a lot.

I also bought the FA35 new from B&H and one lens from the marketplace here.
06-11-2009, 11:32 AM   #3
Banned

I have purchased three, soon to be four MINT takumars on ebay. in fact nearly every lens I have ever purchased has been from ebay. learn to use it right, be diligent and use common sense when browsing and buying lenses and you wont get burned. besides the bay, the marketplace here on the forums is an excellent place to 'shop'.
06-11-2009, 11:40 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Adorama has a used section as well.

06-11-2009, 11:59 AM   #5
Veteran Member

KEH

I've used KEH extensivly and I find they are very conservative in their quality raitings.
06-11-2009, 12:07 PM   #6
emr

I have been recently following the Marketplace with keen interest and to me it looks like there aren't as many better Pentax-branded lenses for sale than before. Does anybody else get that impression or is it just my illusion?
06-11-2009, 12:35 PM   #7

Just one more?

Now that is a bad case of LBA!

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
According to my database, I bought 210 lenses on eBay for about $6700 (includes shipping). Yes, some transactions were not perfect but most were great. I also learned a lot.
06-11-2009, 01:07 PM   #8

KEH is a good place to start, but also...

The Marketplace here

shopgoodwill.com: they'll have the occasional autofocus lens, but normally they'll have some selection of the more common M42, M and A lenses. Never seen a * lens there...very uncommonly an F or FA will pop up (usually kit lenses)

Local goodwill stores: Again mostly manual lenses, but you never know what you'll find.

Local pawn shops: Keep meaning to try, but I'm in a pretty small community.

Local camera stores: If there are any in your area (not chain stores) you could be in luck looking for new-old stock lenses, there might be some around, or trade ins, things like that.

Craigslist: very hit an miss but it only takes a few minutes to look.

06-11-2009, 01:54 PM   #9
Pentaxian

according to the ads, pentax claimed there were 23million lenses that would fit their cameras.

I only have 7 so it's not my fault

seriously though they are getting somewhat scarce but Jester_rm has llisted all the good points
06-11-2009, 02:49 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jensm Quote
Now that is a bad case of LBA!
My real addiction was selling. I still have a hard time seeing an eBay auction for something I know I can resell better and honestly and double my money.

No matter where you buy, knowledge is power. Know as much as possible about the lens you're looking at, its competition, price, value to you, rarity, condition, etc.
06-11-2009, 05:04 PM   #11
Pentaxian

The marketplace here is probably the best place, people are honest, you see good lenses turn up from time to time. Kijiji is also a nice place, at least it is in my area.
06-11-2009, 05:39 PM   #12
Pentaxian

The K10 seems to have been a real boost for Pentax, I saw a real decline in good glass being offered for sale after that camera came out. The K20 added more users, and I expect the K-7 will just do more of the same. I have a feeling that the good, older glass has been snapped up already, and now it's going to be a bugger to find some of the rarer pieces at reasonable prices.
06-11-2009, 09:03 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kmanlaker Quote
I have purchased a couple if used lenses from KEH but they seem to not have a large selection.
Were you limiting your search to AF lenses? Not as many of those available, true - but there are dozens of MF ones!

QuoteQuote:
Without going the ebay route ( sorry I do not care for ebay ) where do you guys/gals find used lenses in the USA ??
Sorry, that's the only other really good option as far as selection goes.
06-11-2009, 09:30 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I bought my DA 16-45 used from Adorama. It was and still is in excellent codition and they even tried to offer me some sort of service warranty.
06-11-2009, 11:00 PM   #15
Damn Brit

I have found a few on Craigslist, they usually had a camera attached to them but prices were close to what I would expect to pay on Ebay for the lens only.