Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-12-2009, 08:48 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
RichardS's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Nelson Bay, NSW, Australia
Posts: 2,126
It's not just photographic stuff. One of the most jaw-dropping prices I ever saw was for a 1973 Pontiac Firebird Formula 400. New price in Detroit was $US4,000 (a co worker bought one). The used price 9 years later in Melbourne was >$US16,000.

06-12-2009, 09:21 PM   #32
Veteran Member
xjjohnno's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Melbourne Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,115
Compare the asking price for Windows Vista in different countries. I think the philosophy with global companies is setting prices they think they will get away with.
06-13-2009, 12:40 AM   #33
Forum Member
jaws's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Torquay, Victoria, Aus
Posts: 63
I have contacted CRK regarding the DA 50-135, Bh have it for approx $1,000.00au delv. to my door, (may have to pay customs duty if over $1k, if so add 10% $100.00)
CRK said they will supply the lens delivered for $1,320.00 inc GST, now that's not a price match but is quite a bit less than the $1600.00 that other online shops are quoting for a 'aus warranty" lens.
My choice would be to buy here in case of any issues however I do buy thru the internet and have had good experiences in the past.
Any other prices on this lens that anyone has seen would be appreciated.
cheers,
John
06-13-2009, 12:56 AM   #34
Inactive Account




Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Sunshine Coast - Australia
Posts: 61
The "other" shops - whether online or bricks and mortar (which charge more) are all getting their lenses from CRK. Normally, a distributor would NOT undercut its own retail network by selling direct.

If I was running a camera store in Oz - either a physical or an online one - I would be very pissed off at this action from my ONLY source of product. Or conversely, I'd decide to either stock an absolute minimum of the product available from that distributor or not to deal with it at all.

06-13-2009, 01:00 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
RichardS's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Nelson Bay, NSW, Australia
Posts: 2,126
QuoteOriginally posted by jaws Quote
I have contacted CRK regarding the DA 50-135, Bh have it for approx $1,000.00au delv. to my door, (may have to pay customs duty if over $1k, if so add 10% $100.00)
CRK said they will supply the lens delivered for $1,320.00 inc GST, now that's not a price match but is quite a bit less than the $1600.00 that other online shops are quoting for a 'aus warranty" lens.
My choice would be to buy here in case of any issues however I do buy thru the internet and have had good experiences in the past.
Any other prices on this lens that anyone has seen would be appreciated.
cheers,
John
That price seems reasonable to me. I, too, have bought many things through the internet and it doesn't scare me, but I'm prepared to pay a little extra to buy locally just in case.

You'll love the 50-135, BTW. I bought one used from another Melbourne member at Easter time and I keep getting Wow! moments

What procedure did you have to go through? Join the DPR forum? Send emails? Phone CRK?

Richard.
06-13-2009, 01:21 AM   #36
Forum Member
jaws's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Torquay, Victoria, Aus
Posts: 63
Thanks for the reply, I emailed first and got no reply after about a week, so I rang Melb office and was put thru to sales and they were quite helpful,( and had seen my email) so its just another phone call when I'm ready.
cheers,
John
06-13-2009, 04:55 AM   #37
Veteran Member
wwwmorrell's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mount Buller, Australia
Posts: 398
QuoteOriginally posted by jaws Quote
Thanks for the reply, I emailed first and got no reply after about a week, so I rang Melb office and was put thru to sales and they were quite helpful,( and had seen my email) so its just another phone call when I'm ready.
cheers,
John

I can click "BUY NOW" at either Adorama or B&H & the lense will be in the mail tomorrow morning & usually delivered within three to four days depending on carrier [UPS or USPS].
06-13-2009, 05:25 AM   #38
Forum Member
jaws's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Torquay, Victoria, Aus
Posts: 63
QuoteOriginally posted by wwwmorrell Quote
I can click "BUY NOW" at either Adorama or B&H & the lense will be in the mail tomorrow morning & usually delivered within three to four days depending on carrier [UPS or USPS].
Thats very tempting info.....

06-13-2009, 05:34 AM   #39
Veteran Member
wwwmorrell's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mount Buller, Australia
Posts: 398
QuoteOriginally posted by jaws Quote
Thats very tempting info.....
And what is more exciting, if anything, after purchacing your new baby, you can sit at your computer and track its progress all the way to Oz with their tracking service.
06-13-2009, 06:04 AM   #40
Veteran Member
nulla's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Melbourne Australia
Posts: 1,560
QuoteOriginally posted by wwwmorrell Quote
And what is more exciting, if anything, after purchacing your new baby, you can sit at your computer and track its progress all the way to Oz with their tracking service.
I got all my lenses bar one through B&H and can only praise on service. I did actually get one Lens in Australia at Teds the 55-300mm and it took a little over 2 weeks to get in and I had to go and collect it. B&H on the other hand 3-4 days to my door and all Lenses worked out cheaper than Aussie prices (online as well)

With the tracking service you can work out when to be home to collect.. the guy who usually delivers to me gets to my door the following day that item lands at the airport and always before 10am
06-13-2009, 06:52 AM   #41
Senior Member




Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 268
QuoteOriginally posted by jaws Quote
Thanks for the reply, I emailed first and got no reply after about a week, so I rang Melb office and was put thru to sales and they were quite helpful,( and had seen my email) so its just another phone call when I'm ready.
cheers,
John
I almost had similar experience. After 3 days of no email reply, I fired another email to the boss of CRK, and got my reply on the same day.
Since the boss mentioned about 2 days of waiting time is what we should expect from another forum, I will always take on that offer.
06-13-2009, 09:34 PM   #42
Forum Member
jaws's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Torquay, Victoria, Aus
Posts: 63
Based on the price of the lens from B&H its 815.00US del.which is $1003.00 Au, therefore over the allowable duty free limit by $3.00 adding the customs duty and then the GST it comes in at $1,244.00 in total, I can get it from CRK for $1,320.00 so not a big saving for something that may be held up in customs.(I get the GST back anyway) If the lens was under $1k then its definately worth doing.
cheers,
john
06-13-2009, 11:25 PM   #43
Veteran Member
schmik's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sydney Aus
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 527
QuoteOriginally posted by jaws Quote
Based on the price of the lens from B&H its 815.00US del.which is $1003.00 Au, therefore over the allowable duty free limit by $3.00 adding the customs duty and then the GST it comes in at $1,244.00 in total, I can get it from CRK for $1,320.00 so not a big saving for something that may be held up in customs.(I get the GST back anyway) If the lens was under $1k then its definately worth doing.
cheers,
john

hahahaha... so it depends on the exchange rate on the day.

This happened to a friend of mine and the value + shipping of an item was $1007. He argued with customs and they gave in. It did take an extra week though.

I totally agree with Brumby too. The importer undercutting the retailers. That is just not on. The retailers won't stand for it for ever. Obviously if CRK can afford to sell at this reduced rate then why isn't that the actual price. The supply chain of this stuff and the 'internet global economy' are certainly not in sync yet. It will all get sorted out in the next few years. I don't mind paying extra for the proper service but how much extra? Lets say 15 - 20% for an Online aussie store, NO THANKS. Lets say 10% extra for a bricks and mortar store that also delivers (and HAS the items in stock) with knowledgeable sales people, OK.

At the current rip off prices, what are we actually paying for? it sure as sh1t isn't service.

mike


mike
06-14-2009, 12:32 AM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
RichardS's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Nelson Bay, NSW, Australia
Posts: 2,126
QuoteOriginally posted by schmik Quote
hahahaha... so it depends on the exchange rate on the day.
Or whether or not the next item on your wish list is something like the FA31 Ltd.
QuoteOriginally posted by schmik Quote
This happened to a friend of mine and the value + shipping of an item was $1007. He argued with customs and they gave in. It did take an extra week though.
I'd probably buy locally to avoid the hassle, but YMMV
QuoteOriginally posted by schmik Quote
I totally agree with Brumby too. The importer undercutting the retailers. That is just not on. The retailers won't stand for it for ever. Obviously if CRK can afford to sell at this reduced rate then why isn't that the actual price.
<snip>

It could be that the retailers are putting on a monster markup and that CRK is just protecting its market by reducing the temptation to buy overseas. Maybe.

Richard.
06-14-2009, 01:21 AM   #45
Veteran Member
schmik's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sydney Aus
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 527
QuoteOriginally posted by RichardS Quote
It could be that the retailers are putting on a monster markup and that CRK is just protecting its market by reducing the temptation to buy overseas. Maybe.

Richard.
It definitely could. At the moment I suspect not. Going through the group buy thing for the k7 (we got over 20 people in on it) we did not get that much of a discount... it 'appears' that the retailers don't have the hugest margins or are good at hiding it. Who really knows.

Having said, Vanbar(.com.au) gave us the best deal and are trying to secure us stock from the first shipment, this is also very important. They have been excellent to deal with and appear to be friendly guys that know their stuff and appreciate that a customer can have a 'relationship' with a store not just transactions.

I wonder what the minimum sales required are to buy direct from CRK. EG, if all of us started a 'Aus Pentax Club' we would buy as much in one year as most retailers. Of course the Aus Pentax Club members get the real price. THis could be effective and it would also answer the question of what CRK charges...... imagine if Adorama/B&H were still cheaper.....hahahahaha

mike

Last edited by schmik; 06-14-2009 at 02:01 AM.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
da*, f4, freight, k-mount, line, pentax, pentax lens, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What a great find, and my Rip Van Winkle experience Oro Welcomes and Introductions 3 08-10-2010 11:53 AM
RIP Mercury Sailor General Talk 19 06-04-2010 04:16 AM
RIP Legacy Pro??? stevebrot Pentax Film SLR Discussion 9 05-24-2010 11:10 AM
RIP Sam Wheatfield Photographic Technique 0 11-28-2009 09:24 AM
what to do if you see a rip off. amicah22 General Talk 2 05-20-2009 11:33 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:07 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top