Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2009, 09:00 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Vivitar Series One 90-180mm Macro Zoom

I'm contemplating buying one of these in excellent condition but two things are holding me back. One is the price of $250 and the other is I've read that this lens produces some "yellowing" around the focal plane. Is this lens good enough to justify spending $250? Anyone have any experience with photos taken with this lens that show "yellowing"?

06-12-2009, 12:05 AM   #2
D W
Veteran Member

$250 is a good price for it, the last PK mount one of these on ebay went for around $400.
It is a amazing sharp lens and held the record as the sharpest zoom lens tested by Modern Photography.
I still have mine and use it on a regular basis despite the weight of an all metal lens.
The zoom let you frame your subject without moving your camera/lens combination back and forth and the refocusing required.
06-13-2009, 09:16 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks D W. I appreciate your input!
06-15-2009, 05:13 PM   #4
A Proud PENTAXER !!!

QuoteOriginally posted by D W Quote
$250 is a good price for it, the last PK mount one of these on ebay went for around $400.
It is a amazing sharp lens and held the record as the sharpest zoom lens tested by Modern Photography.
I still have mine and use it on a regular basis despite the weight of an all metal lens.
The zoom let you frame your subject without moving your camera/lens combination back and forth and the refocusing required.
I think DW has summed it up quite well. It's a very unusual zoom lens, and one worth keeping indefinitely, not only for its intrinsic qualities (superb), but also for its historical value. Some links:

Vivitar 90-180

http://www.mflenses.com/Vivitar-Series-I-by-Robert-Monaghan.html

http://www.mflenses.com/Vivitar-90-180mm-flat-field-f4.5-Lens-Review.html

Vivitar series 1, 90-180mm macro - FM Forums