Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2009, 11:10 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Is your Takumar radioactive?

The 50 1.4.......Interesting....but it's not like I have it sitting on my lap for days on end...

Radioactive lenses - Camerapedia.org

06-11-2009, 11:19 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Do you eat bananas? I heard that bananas are actually more radioactive than takumars
06-12-2009, 01:09 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Ever since I started using my Super Takumar 50mm f1.4 I've been having great chunks of hair fall off my head.
EEk I've been nuked by a lens.
06-12-2009, 02:10 AM   #4
Dom

There was another thread like this one.
Yes your lens is radioactive but Thorium which is the isotope in the glass has a half life of 14.6 billion years. This means that it emits very very very very slowly and the only danger to you is if you eat your lens. If you did eat your lens you'd have a few other problems, like if I was is down with coffee that's radioactive to.

P.s. most things are radioactive to a greater or lesser extent.

06-12-2009, 02:25 AM   #5
Banned

you want something radioactive? wear an illuminated watch from the 30s or 40s heck even the 50s from timex. that radium 226 is good for nearly another 1000 years. most people already know about the radioactive element of certain older Takumar lenses. but you are exposed to more normal 'background' radiation everyday of your life than this lens could ever effect you with.
06-12-2009, 11:22 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My paper had a story today about radioactive wasp nests, which sounds like a good idea for a terrible sci-fi movie.
06-12-2009, 11:57 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just1MoreDave, That's pretty funny!
"which sounds like a good idea for a terrible sci-fi movie"

NaCl(or maybe a terrible idea for a good sci-fi movie)H2O

06-12-2009, 12:04 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think we have all learned a very valuable lesson here.....don't lick your lens clean...especially after eating a banana while wearing a Timex standing under a wasp nest listening to Barry Manilow.
06-12-2009, 03:26 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
I think we have all learned a very valuable lesson here.....don't lick your lens clean...especially after eating a banana while wearing a Timex standing under a wasp nest listening to Barry Manilow.
And if you're listening to Barry at a concert in Saratoga, NY and sipping the radioactive spring water you are really doomed.
06-12-2009, 03:29 PM   #10
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
ROTFLMAO

I had something smart to say but this beats the hell out of it.
06-14-2009, 12:24 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Not only is this baby radioactive, but it has the worst case of fungus I've ever seen:

The good thing is that when the fungus infests your lungs, the radioactivity
kills it, so the lens renders itself inert.

Plus it still takes shots like this:

OH NO, RADIATION OVERLOAD NOW!! EERRRT, EERRRT, EERRRT.....

06-14-2009, 12:35 PM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

Not only is this baby radioactive, but it has the worst case of fungus I've ever seen:

The good thing is that when the fungus infests your lungs, the radioactivity
kills it, so the lens renders itself inert.

Plus it still takes shots like this:

. . .

OH NO, RADIATION OVERLOAD NOW!! EERRRT, EERRRT, EERRRT.....

Just think of the mutated fungi that are growing in that thing! They will probably emit spores and consume the Hubble Telescope.
06-14-2009, 12:54 PM   #13
Veteran Member

What are you worried about? In 14.6 billion years it will only be 1/2 as deadly.
Meanwhile, with any luck, you might start to glow in the dark. No need for flash.

Mickey
06-14-2009, 03:59 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Dangerous Lenses
In addition to the radioactive problem with the various Takumar lenses there is another problem which is even more dangerous.

In another thread a few months back a user related that he was was changing from an M42 mount to a K mount while standing on the platform of a train station. He dropped the mount adapter, it rolled off the platform, and ended up by the tracks. He jumped down retrieved the mount adapter, and returned to the platform.

The conclusion which I have come to is that in addition to having your eyeball shrivel up and fall out along with the potential loss of teeth from radiation exposure, you have an even better possibility of getting run over by a train. These lenses are dangerous and should only be used by a professional. Send all your Takumar lenses to Mike Cash. Mike is really "Mr. Takumar" around here and he will know what to do. You can't be too careful.
06-14-2009, 07:09 PM   #15

Oh my, radiactive mutant fungi spore... I can see it now "All your Takumars are belong to us"