Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-12-2009, 04:46 PM   #16
Veteran Member

On a purely cost/benefit analysis the DA probably wins except if you expect to go FF in the future.

However, the FA 77 is a work of art. Any photographer that you show it to will be thoroughly awed. It's a luminous jewel. Canon and Nikon have great lenses (optically) but I'm yet to see one that matches the FA 77 and 31 in awesome construction.

06-12-2009, 05:45 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
the FA limited lenses have "soul"...it's difficult to quantify exactly what that is, but when you compare it to the cannon or Nikon equivalent lenses the lens produces a rendering that is in subtle ways *better* in terms of microcontrast and resolution.

and I seem to recall that the 70mm f/2.4 exposes 1/8th of a stop slower at f/2.4 than the FA77 limited does at the same aperture. yes, it's a small difference but it's there.

and it comes with fairy dust

here's some of my images with the FA77 limited below - bokeh addicts be warned! avert your eyes!

06-12-2009, 05:47 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
However, the FA 77 is a work of art. Any photographer that you show it to will be thoroughly awed. It's a luminous jewel. Canon and Nikon have great lenses (optically) but I'm yet to see one that matches the FA 77 and 31 in awesome construction.
Correct, once you hold it you know it is good, once you use it you grow to love what it gives... this goes for both the above which I have.

You will not be sorry... It really is a luminous jewel

Neil
06-12-2009, 07:18 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Show me!!!!

I'd like to see a compairson between the 70 and 77 at f2.4.

Ray

06-12-2009, 08:16 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

raybo, you're splitting photons there mate...it's only a fraction of a stop.

let's not forget that the FA77 is a bit sluggish at focusing and the DA70 is quite snappy...the difference is slight but it's there... and the DA limited also has the additional functionality of quick shift ....but it can't cover full frame without substantial vignetting at f/2.4 the FA77 does not have much vignetting wide open on full frame. lens tests have a habit of exaggerating such effects, it really isn't much of a problem in the real world.

in fact, it can be quite favourable for portrait photography.

Last edited by Digitalis; 06-12-2009 at 08:23 PM.
06-12-2009, 08:50 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
raybo, you're splitting photons there mate...it's only a fraction of a stop.

let's not forget that the FA77 is a bit sluggish at focusing and the DA70 is quite snappy...the difference is slight but it's there... and the DA limited also has the additional functionality of quick shift ....but it can't cover full frame without substantial vignetting at f/2.4 the FA77 does not have much vignetting wide open on full frame. lens tests have a habit of exaggerating such effects, it really isn't much of a problem in the real world.

in fact, it can be quite favourable for portrait photography.
Thanks for the info Digitalis.

The fact is i'd really like to see (stop for stop) a real shoot out between these two lenses as i'm torn between the both of them.

Ray
06-12-2009, 09:18 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Even making a direct comparison between the two wouldn't make anything any easier I'm afraid. you're just scared of making a wrong decision. and the truth is that there is no clear cut answer; there is only a choice between them...or you can buy both.

damn you Pentax for making two excellent lenses that are in many ways so similar, yet so different, and these differences are in the end merely nit picking trifles.

I got the FA77 because of it's Bokeh, and because f/1.8 is perfectly usable aperture...same goes for the DA 70 LTD f/2.4 is an eminently usable aperture even to the corners where the FA77 has a slight weakness.(from what I have seen The FA77 LTD matches the DA70 at f/2.5)

06-12-2009, 09:25 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Even making a direct comparison between the two wouldn't make anything any easier I'm afraid. you're just scared of making a wrong decision. and the truth is that there is no clear cut answer; there is only a choice between them...or you can buy both.

damn you Pentax for making two excellent lenses that are in many ways so similar, yet so different, and these differences are in the end merely nit picking trifles.

I got the FA77 because of it's Bokeh, and because f/1.8 is perfectly usable aperture...same goes for the DA 70 LTD f/2.4 is an eminently usable aperture even to the corners where the FA77 has a slight weakness.(from what I have seen The FA77 LTD matches the DA70 at f/2.5)
Pay half the amount and get the DA 70?
06-12-2009, 09:45 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

if you want to then go for it...
06-12-2009, 10:14 PM   #25
MSM
Veteran Member

77 mm

Ah yes the debate comes around again. What a great problem we Pentaxians have. The 77 mm was the the reason that I switched to Pentax. I just loved the images I saw. (of course, the K10d was another good reason). The lens construction is jewel like. For me it is kind of a goldilock lens (i.e. not too big and not too small).

I totally agree with Digitalis that there is a fear of making a wrong choice. I believe that both are capable lenses. I've never used the 70 mm but I have seen some great shots with it. One can't go wrong with either. Having said that, I knew for me if I went with the 70 mm I would always wonder what I missed out on with one of Pentax's truly special offerings in the 77 mm.

For those undecided try this: Close you eyes and imagine walking into (online) B&H and having both lenses on the counter only to realize that today they were the same price.* Now imagine which you would hand to the salesperson. Look in the bag...that's what you should buy. It is that easy. Just look in the bag, baby!

* note I didn't say they both cost the price of the 77 or 70 mm. It doesn't matter. What does matter is that you remove cost. ( I know that I am going to get flamed for that.) Yes, there is cost issues but great glass is/can be forever. When you take that price difference over years of ownership, is it that much? Not really. I knew this was a very important lens for me and that I would use it a lot. When you remove cost all the subconscious issues/biases (right or wrong) will lead you to pick the lens for you. good luck.
06-12-2009, 10:31 PM   #26
Veteran Member

if you want to then go for it...
You are killing me Digi!

I just want someone to jump in and give me some kind of compairison images between the 70 and 77.

No takers?
06-12-2009, 10:36 PM   #27
MSM
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Raybo Quote
You are killing me Digi!

I just want someone to jump in and give me some kind of compairison images between the 70 and 77.

No takers?
Raybo: Just go to Pentax photo gallery. But, you know that it won't solve your problem. All the images will be good! Take my advice above, and do it...
06-12-2009, 10:40 PM   #28
and
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Raybo Quote

No takers?
You wont see a big difference in sharpness. Its more about the other factors people have mentioned in this thread.
06-12-2009, 11:01 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
You wont see a big difference in sharpness. Its more about the other factors people have mentioned in this thread.
Pixie dust?
06-12-2009, 11:17 PM   #30
and
Veteran Member

I was refering to price, speed, af speed, size, aperture ring etc