Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-12-2009, 01:12 PM   #1
Igilligan

Auto-Tak 35 F2.3 - Heliphoto

Hey Josh and all...

Josh I still have not really got a chance to put this lens thru its paces. It is a beautiful design, and your tripster photos with it surpass any I have mustered thus far. But I got a shot of the Menace yesterday that was cute and thought I would post it to and a couple of flower shots to prove that I am at least using it...

I promise to really give it a serious go soon, but that darn Tair 135 continues to dominate the camera time here in Gusville.

Auto-Tak 35-2.3 wide open I love the color from this baby!

And the inspiration for posting this... The Menace

a little movement blur, but it is hard to keep The Menace still...

06-12-2009, 01:54 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Eh Gus, your manual focusing prowess just kills me ten times over... Great shots!
06-12-2009, 02:55 PM   #3
Veteran Member

The eyes in that last shot are pretty jaw-dropping. Very nice.
06-12-2009, 03:38 PM   #4
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Gus yer really getting under my skin. Every time I think I've cured the LBA, you post about some other great lens. I've been good the past year with only one lens purchase trying hard to save for a K-7. Please stop with the great shots.

06-12-2009, 06:00 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
those pics feature the most bizarre bokeh I have ever seen. it's a very interesting effect.
06-12-2009, 10:23 PM   #6
Veteran Member

LBA...does it ever end!!!!......I see shots like those and it makes me want to get out there.....
06-12-2009, 10:45 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Gus - I'm so glad to see you shooting with the lens. I was starting to think you bought it just to shut me up (perhaps you did ). I think your shots with it far surpass mine - mine were just "trippy bokeh" vehicles, whereas yours actually have subjects! Love that first rose pic, and the "Menace" shots are great (she's got the felt pen pox!). I know you've been on a tair tear, but you've gotta let some photons through that other glass once in a while...

06-13-2009, 10:44 AM   #8
Igilligan

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
Eh Gus, your manual focusing prowess just kills me ten times over... Great shots!
there is not much prowess involved... it is a trick! The closer the subject the easer the mf is to get right! You will probably notice most of my subjects are just a few feet away... But thanks for the ego boost Andi, "prowess" just makes me feel good!

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
The eyes in that last shot are pretty jaw-dropping. Very nice.
I was pretty happy with the eye shot too. So sharp, I must have stopped down a bit on that one... although in that light it could not have been too far.
Thanks for checkin' on me.

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Gus yer really getting under my skin. Every time I think I've cured the LBA, you post about some other great lens. I've been good the past year with only one lens purchase trying hard to save for a K-7. Please stop with the great shots.
Peter, keep saving. I want to get the DA 50-135, The FA 77 and ___________. But I will probably end up with a bunch more MF cheapies and a K7 in December and still not have any DA* lenses or FA ltd's in the bag.
MF glass is a real sickness, it feels a lot like a drug addiction and the prices feel about the same $25 $50 or on a big purchase $100

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
those pics feature the most bizarre bokeh I have ever seen. it's a very interesting effect.
Trippy is what I am into right now... I have a couple other lenses that make this one seem "smooth" haha. The early Auto Taks had some very spacey oof areas and I do love the look. Although it is impossible to know from one shot to the next what it will look like. And often it looks bad!

QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
LBA...does it ever end!!!!......I see shots like those and it makes me want to get out there.....
For me it does not end, it slows and then speeds up again. A real roller coaster ride! Thanks for the comment... now get out there.
06-13-2009, 10:59 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nice photos Gus! The first and the last one blew me away....
IWTL! IWTL!
(For those not understanding newly inventid abbreviations: I Want That Lens!)

EDIT: you should write a lens review, it's not done by anyone else
06-13-2009, 11:01 AM   #10
Igilligan

QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote
Gus - I'm so glad to see you shooting with the lens. I was starting to think you bought it just to shut me up (perhaps you did ). I think your shots with it far surpass mine - mine were just "trippy bokeh" vehicles, whereas yours actually have subjects! Love that first rose pic, and the "Menace" shots are great (she's got the felt pen pox!). I know you've been on a tair tear, but you've gotta let some photons through that other glass once in a while...
Hey Josh... oh but your 'trippy bokeh' vehicles are what I am after. With these old lenses, sometimes I stick them on the camera and feel a 'connection. Other times I kind of get what they are about, but just cant seem to make them sing the way I know they can... This lens falls into the last catagory.

The Helios 44, Jupiter 9 and Tair 11a all were "love at first click"

But this one has a mind of her own. She refuses to perform on demand. Changes what she wants to see... And only gives hints of what she can do for me... a real piece of work this one!

But she is so beautiful... And feels so good in my hands... I want to love her, but she makes it so hard
06-27-2009, 09:25 PM   #11
Igilligan

Look at me, Look at me

Used this lens again just to play around...

The colors in good light from this thing are amazing. This rose is spot on!

and it even does ok in evening shadows...

thanks again Josh... did you pick up the 135 version of this lens at the same time you got the 35 2.3 auto
06-27-2009, 09:47 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Gus, those rose shots are great! I especially like the first one...

The 135mm I have (which I did get in the same purchase as the 35/2.3) is the preset model pictured here (my photo). It's a fantastic work of art, and I'd say at least as sharp as either the *50-135 or the Tamron 70-200 @ 135mm, if not sharper...
06-27-2009, 10:19 PM   #13
Igilligan

QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote
Gus, those rose shots are great! I especially like the first one...

The 135mm I have (which I did get in the same purchase as the 35/2.3) is the preset model pictured here (my photo). It's a fantastic work of art, and I'd say at least as sharp as either the *50-135 or the Tamron 70-200 @ 135mm, if not sharper...

I love that rose shot too... too often the pentax struggles on reds and wants them fushia... but this one does red so well...

I thought I remembered you getting the 135 at the same time... I know you are using it... at least not enough... we need to talk.
Work out some sort of rent to own plan

Thanks for the kind words. Hey what is the latest on the prints? When do you get them?