Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2009, 05:55 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If the setting is an urban hardcsape; that is, tight with lots of sharp lines, I suggest the DA 21 Ltd, or the less stealthy DA 12-24.

If it's a more open urban/suburban park-like setting, I suggest the DA 35 Ltd, or FA 31 Ltd.

If you had to choose one, you can't go wrong with any of these in an urban setting paired to a K20D.

...my 2 cents...

06-14-2009, 10:39 AM   #17
Veteran Member

I have used my 35 as a walkaround, especially when I was much more into seeing things macro. The reality is that currently the 31 rarely comes of the camera. Ridiculously good "street" lens. The only thing about the 35 is mine can tend to underexpose. The 31 is sublime.

I've also used the 43 as a walkaround lens. It is a little more intimate, but also not as sharp as the 31. Just a different look to the shots. If I had to generalize I find the 43 a little better with faces, the 31 better with surroundings. But the 77 is the best "face" lens I've shot. Depends on what you see when you walk around...
06-14-2009, 10:53 AM   #18
and
Veteran Member

I had the FA35 and its a great lens and a good walkaround choice if you preference lies around 50mm. The FA31 is very slightly faster and has a bit better performance but not enough to make up for the price difference. The FA35 is a great choice and a steal at the price its selling for. Also it has a removable hood unlike the 31 and has a opening in the hood for when u have a CPL on it and want to adjust that.

The DA40 Im sure its a great lens and not so costly but its very slow for the range it has, the voigtlander 40 ultron is very nice buts its MF and sounds like 35 is as far as you want to go.

The da21 is a good lens yes, very sharp and nice built, bit annoying hood that keeps screwing itself of. I think its too bad they didnt make it just a bit bigger and f2.8. but for me it was a very nice walkaround FL when I had it but I would miss the shallow DOF and bokeh of the FA35, I love to isolate things with small DOF.

I think the FA35 is a good buy while it is still around, great optics at a good price. which FL suits you best is something only you can answer as there is no one right answer for that
06-14-2009, 02:48 PM   #19

Original Poster
Thanks for all the help and thoughts everyone!

I ended up going with the DA21 for a number of reasons, after playing with both it and the DA35. While the 35 truly is a spectacular lens– I'm sitting looking through my in-store test shots with it and I'm just blown away by the color, contrast, and especially how it captures the nuances of light– I decided that the FOV provided by the 21 was more in line with where I want to go with my shooting.

I already have the Sigma 30 to cover roughly where the DA35 would, minus the macro, but I've been itching for something ever-so-slightly wider, and the 21 does so perfectly.

I like to think that Chase Jarvis's "The best camera is the one you have with you" idom is a great way to consider gear. The combination of the 21 and the K-7 will make a great light-weight unobtrusive kit to carry with me everywhere.

Most importantly, the 21 is wider than I've ever worked, which will push my composition skills and help me "think" in a wider view.

Oddly, B&H had neither Limited lens in stock at their store, despite having it listed online. Luckily Adorama is just a few blocks down and had them both for the same price.