Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2009, 05:44 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Got mine from Amazon a week ago, seems to be fine I think...

06-15-2009, 09:26 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Got mine from KEH - 2nd hand in EX+ condition. Flawless given the expectation of off-centre softness at f/2.8, esp. at wide end. So no complaints from me either. Great lens.
Thanks for the info
06-15-2009, 10:02 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bossy Quote
Well, I'm considering this lens as my new walkaround zoom lens since my Kit lens is kinda cracky..
This might be OOT, but,not about the range, does it perform better than Tamron's 28-75 or Sigma's 24-70 at F.2.8 ??

Cheers..
I use a 16-50 as a walk around lens and have a very early number. the problem is frankly that the others are 'film camera' focal lengths which is just too long for the digital camera. but then when others thought a 35mm wide angle was just right for a film camera, I owned a 28mm F2 which I thought was just right
as a fixed focal length. I'd say the vast majority of the photos I take with the 16-50 are at 16----

I own for rexample a FA24 f/2 prime which is pretty well regarded, but I rarely use it because it is too long for 'scapes'.---in my opinion.

the downside of the 16-50 is that built in flash can't see over the top of it.
06-17-2009, 06:36 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To buy or not to buy

I agree that this lens is stellar when you get a good copy.

I bought this lens about a month ago from B&H and was not pleased with my first copy, same issues as normally reported. I bought it for my sister-in-laws wedding and really needed the wide side of this lens, my 28 - 75 was just not enough.

As usual I procrastinated on the purchase, it arrived on a Friday and I was leaving on the following Thursday, I didn't have time to send it back for replacement before I left, so I returned it and purchased another from Amazon. I was much happier with the second lens, but I did end up with two at the same time for a couple of days.

As some on else said, add enough into your budget to pay for return shipping to make sure you get one that you are pleased with because it is a great lens.

Good luck on your decision.

06-17-2009, 06:40 AM   #20
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by rvannatta Quote
the downside of the 16-50 is that built in flash can't see over the top of it.
Yup. I just remove the lens hood and adjust focal length to about 18-20mm then it seems to disappear. I'll agree a slight fault of the design (lens and camera flash together) but not a deal breaker by any stretch.