Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2007, 09:40 PM   #1
Veteran Member

What lens to take....

Hi all,

I'll be going on my honeymoon to Malaysia in August (yeah, it's still a while to go) but better to be somewhat prepared. I want to take pics of anything really; street, landscape, portraits, beaches, etc. here's a list of what lenses i've got available and what do you recommend i take (max 3 or 4 lenses).

Pentax SMC DA 18-55 mm
Astron 35-70 mm
Pentax SMC FA 70-200 mm
SMC Takumar 28 mm
Super Takumar 55 mm
Super Takumar 135 mm
Lensbaby 2.0
2x KAX Macro Teleplus MC7

cheers

04-27-2007, 10:04 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by figmental1978 Quote
SMC Takumar 28 mm
Super Takumar 55 mm
Super Takumar 135 mm
Just leave that adapter on there, and you've got a pretty sweet setup. If it were me I'd see if I couldn't pick up an S-M-C Takumar 50/1.4 rather than the 55, but that's splitting hairs.
04-27-2007, 11:01 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
hmmm....thats what i was thinking, but wouldn't the zooms be easier and more versatile while travelling?
04-28-2007, 12:24 PM   #4

I would suggest you take your zooms as you will find the photo opportunities will come up at all times and on short notice. You will also find that, because of the heat and humidity, you will not want to carry a lot of gear when out walking.

I have not shot with a DSLR on my trips to Malaysia but have used a C** G1 and a N** 5700 point and shoot on a couple of trips. Watch the condensation on the camera and lenses when leaving hotels and cabs that are airconditioned. I found it best to keep my camera in it's case and once out on the street, open the case and let the camera warm up.

I am looking forward to going back next year with my K10D and taking lots more images. I am sure you will enjoy your time in Malaysia, the people are friendly and helpful and the country is beautiful. (So is the food)

Some images from my trips at Penang 2004
to wet your appetite.

Have a good trip.

04-28-2007, 05:27 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks brian,

with the zooms i feel that my 70-200 is too much, the 35-70 is a crappy lens in low light and the 18-55 hasn't got enough reach but i guess together they're not too bad a trio.

as for the takumars, the 28, 55 & 135 are a nice trio too as Finn pointed out.

nice pics of KL and Penang, i'm really looking forward to going!

cheers
04-29-2007, 10:38 AM   #6

I was looking over my lenses after thinking about your trip and wondering which of mine I would take. I can't remember too many occasions where I needed or could use a longer zoom as there is a fair amount of haze from the humidity. I would take my Sigma 17-70 and the DA 40 limited with an extender. I think that would give me enough range.

You will find it quite bright, even with the haze, so you will get lots of good images. Be sure to take a spare battery and your charger. You will need an adaptor for the end of the power cord but the charger should work find.
04-29-2007, 10:23 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
cheers brian, some good tips!
04-30-2007, 07:34 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Not a fan of the kit lens, but as it is the widest you have, that would be #1, and the 70-200 zoom #2. That's it.

04-30-2007, 08:30 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I may retract my earlier comment. If humidity is a factor, I would be hesitant to change lenses too often lest moisture build up inside the camera (can that happen???). Maybe a zoom or two is the best idea after all.
04-30-2007, 10:18 PM   #10

I don't think that there is a choice here. The 18-55 must come with you. And for a second lens, I'd take the 135 if it's significantly faster than the 70-200.
Most important are the memory cards and spare battery.
I think that when you're travelling (especially if you are with your wife for example) often lens changing on the field is out of the question, you want to see stuff primarily, you didn't go all that way for the photos. Wide zooms are the best at this, along with a DA 21mm I guess.
05-01-2007, 01:24 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks all

i'll think i'll take the zooms just for convenience. i also have a 2x converter that will give me a little more range with the 18-55. and if i'm fooling around with the takumars every 20 mins and ignoring my wife, i may be divorced before i get home!
05-01-2007, 06:11 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I don't wish to inject an unpleasant note here, but one should take into consideration the possibility of loss or theft on the trip. I'm a Takumar fan and would take them just for that alone, but as a practical matter they are easier (on the pocketbook) to replace in the event of loss or theft.
05-02-2007, 07:48 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
good point, but i would be more worried about replacing the body than any of my lenses as they are fairly cheap.