Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2009, 03:44 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Few questions

I am looking for prime lens with reasonable reach at affordable price (say below 1000$) I searched a lot, thought and weighed various pros and cons. Finally I narrowed down on two probable lenses i.e, Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 HSM II version (latest) or Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 version. I am leaning towards Tamron due to following reasons (these are based on reviews and user reports on various forums)

1. Good IQ with less PF/CA and good contrast
2. Good Macro function
3. about 100 $ cheaper than Sigma's offering.

I heard its slow in focusing, I would like to know how is its performance with K100D in terms of focus speed and accuracy?

And another main question is how good this lens work with Teleconverters and which is the preferred TC? Can I go for 2X Tc say from Kenko ? I mean is it compatible with any TC? How is its performance with TCs? Is IQ retained or degrades?

And if some one can point out the difference between Kenko 2X TC MC4 vs MC7 models? Why is MC7 expensive?

MY main use will be wildlife shooting.

Image examples will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance

Atindra

06-14-2009, 04:11 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Just to make things clear for newcomers, you say you are looking for prime lenses, but the ones you are looking for are zoom lenses. Primes are fixed focal length, like 31mm. or 77mm. As for your question, I can't answer since I don't own any of those two ZOOM lenses.
06-14-2009, 04:12 AM   #3
Veteran Member

If you're looking for a prime lens, may I ask why you have narrowed your choice down to two zoom lenses?
06-14-2009, 05:37 AM   #4
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'll assume you're just looking for fast telephoto lenses, whether zoom or fixed-focal length (prime). If you've got the K100D (and not the K100D super), the then HSM capability of the Sigma lens is not going to be compatible with your camera. It will still have full AF function, but won't be the silent SDM AF.

If you want to include prime lenses in your list to look for, you have the DA* 200/2.8 and the DA* 300/4 for even more reach. These are more expensive but are given good reviews. The 70-200s are more versatile, though, and are good value for money. Not too much appreciable difference between them that I can gather.

06-14-2009, 06:46 AM   #5
Forum Member

Antidra, being from India, may have used the word "prime" as an adjective meaning 'of great quality' rather than 'a lens of fixed focal length.'
06-14-2009, 10:32 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Atindra Quote
And if some one can point out the difference between Kenko 2X TC MC4 vs MC7 models? Why is MC7 expensive?
The number refers to the lens elements used. More elements usually means greater quality, since each element can correct for a specific distortion or aberration. It's not an absolute rule; some 4 element TCs are still good.

TCs are not quite as interchangeable as they look in the catalog. A particular lens might not work well with all TCs. You should wait for someone to recommend a particular combination of lens and TC. Sooner or later, everyone will get over the "prime" thing.
06-14-2009, 11:43 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks to all----my bad

One person has rightly pointed out. My meaning of using the term "prime" was for fast lens with good quality. Thank you all for correcting my confusion.

so overall now it remains that I need fast zoom lens with sharp image quality. DA* of pentax are prime but they are too costly-I want to keep it below 1000$ along with TC probably.

Tamron's model is almost 120$ cheaper than Sigma and hopefully I can get that in India.

Atindra
06-15-2009, 07:57 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
I'll assume you're just looking for fast telephoto lenses, whether zoom or fixed-focal length (prime). If you've got the K100D (and not the K100D super), the then HSM capability of the Sigma lens is not going to be compatible with your camera. It will still have full AF function, but won't be the silent SDM AF.

If you want to include prime lenses in your list to look for, you have the DA* 200/2.8 and the DA* 300/4 for even more reach. These are more expensive but are given good reviews. The 70-200s are more versatile, though, and are good value for money. Not too much appreciable difference between them that I can gather.

The Sigma HSM lens does not have a screw drive(just looked at mine), so the closest the OP would get to AF is focus confirmation.

Considering the extra cost of the Sigma is most likely explained by the newer technology focusing that the K100d cannot utilize, it supports your tendancy towards getting the Tamron. I like my Sigma 70-200 and have no problems recommending mine, but the Tamron fits your situation better.

06-15-2009, 10:26 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tvfd911 Quote
The Sigma HSM lens does not have a screw drive(just looked at mine), so the closest the OP would get to AF is focus confirmation.

Considering the extra cost of the Sigma is most likely explained by the newer technology focusing that the K100d cannot utilize, it supports your tendancy towards getting the Tamron. I like my Sigma 70-200 and have no problems recommending mine, but the Tamron fits your situation better.

Thanks I guess I may get Tamron for Pentax mount in India as B&H India also lists it in the "in stock" category.

Atindra