Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2009, 09:16 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Manual lens + K20D makes green?

My first call for help....

I bought a very inexpensive manual lens from B&H just to play learn with last week; a Soligor 75-250mm macro f/4.5. For cheap I could get my manual lens education. Its clean, solid and I wondered what the catch was. Ok, contrast was pretty weak so I just use the "Natural" setting in the camera only for this lens and up the contrast so it looks like any other lens. But also the green looks pumped so I set the tint slightly so the whites are white. After a couple hundred pics, i realize the tint is actually jumping back and forth. Pics below are not an extreme example but are less than a second apart and nothing changed other than me pressing the shutter again. I used PhotoMe to look at all the EXIF but darned if anything tells me why it can suddenly change tint. Only with this fully manual lens. Using manual mode, green button to meter.

Ideas? Pics only resized, no PP.

Last edited by imtheguy; 06-14-2009 at 11:47 PM.
06-14-2009, 11:00 PM   #2
Inactive Account

I bet if you got an IT87 target, and made an icc colour profile for each WB setting, it would fix that in RAW. Or, your $16 lens is worth what you paid for it?
06-14-2009, 11:07 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
You mean the camera would automagically fix it or I would fix the color cast...which I can easly do in the jpg if I need to. I also have no idea what an IT87 target is ( I assume some sort of white or grey panel) and even less idea how to make and apply an icc profile to the camera WB setting...my printers yes, the camera, no.

But does any of that address the issue of why would it change tint for no obvious reason in less than a second? Far less concerned with fixing than I am with understanding, thanks.

Last edited by imtheguy; 06-15-2009 at 06:09 AM.
06-15-2009, 09:29 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Squirrel!

I am assuming you were using auto white balance. I don't know how the camera does AWB. I just shoot RAW and fix it if it looks bad. I see occasional small differences in color temperature and tint, like temperature going up 100 and tint going down 2, but nothing as dramatic as that without a big external change.

06-15-2009, 09:55 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply. WB was set to Sunny. This is only a slight tint shift compared to some but because of the white fence and previous shot I used it as the example. I am looking to understand the relationship between manual mode and camera such that the camera can shift tint when no other obvious factors changed. I did not re-meter or anything, just went click, click.

Let me try a more specific question - is there any reason for a K20D to change anything in the exposure between shots when its in Manual mode and the user doesn't touch a button?