Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2009, 09:55 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery
Those are serious defects that should have been noted. The way Ebay works, the seller should be falling all over himself to address. Send it back and he can list the item properly.

It sounds like you are doing the right thing. Keep an eye out and advise... I bet the next buyer surfs these pages as well.

06-15-2009, 10:33 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Skyntara Quote
Yeah, sending it back registered with signature because that's how they sent it to me.

They seem pretty cool, offered refund without hesitation and they seem to be a pretty decent ebay store so I'm pretty confident there won't be any issues.

I've just done one last check on Ebay and purchased the A 1.2 from matsuiyastore.

Oh how I wish that one was listed ealier.
actually there was one listed at the matsuiyastore before that one that you recently purchased. and it was totally in excellent/perfect condition. this one was much cheaper but still in very good condition. hope you enjoy this lens.
06-16-2009, 12:18 AM   #18

Original Poster
Well it's in the post now.

Not before i went nuts taking shots with it. So long as the replacement is as good as this one or better, I'll be a very happy man.

I anyone is wondering if this lens is sharp wide open the answer is yes, yes it is. Also the bokeh is creamier than this coffee.

Full and 1:1 Crop below....

06-16-2009, 06:20 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

yes it's a common misconception that the 50mm f/1.2 isn't sharp wide open..it isn't as sharp as the FA31 is wide open, bit I can't think of a lens that would do better.

06-16-2009, 01:50 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Skyntara Quote
Well it's in the post now.

Not before i went nuts taking shots with it. So long as the replacement is as good as this one or better, I'll be a very happy man.

I anyone is wondering if this lens is sharp wide open the answer is yes, yes it is. Also the bokeh is creamier than this coffee.

Full and 1:1 Crop below....

what camera body did you use this on?
06-16-2009, 02:47 PM   #21

The exif states that it was a K200D.
06-16-2009, 05:44 PM   #22

Original Poster
Yep, K200D.

And it was wide open of course - just not in the EXIF thanks to mutilation. Minimum focal range so minimum possible DOF for the lens.

06-16-2009, 07:39 PM   #23

50mm 1.2

I'd give them the benifit of being BIG. Large stores often have workers that are not well versed in all makes of cameras. Additionally, they sell things so fast no one likely even looked at the "small" things. (BIG if you own Pentax!)

When I looked around for an Adaptall PKA-2 mount for my Tamron SP 3.5, 70-210mm, all the Ebay ones, (whenever they went on sale), and stores I phoned wanted around $100 to $150 USD.

A few months later, (January 2009), they were still very hard to find. I was getting desprit and very pleased to hear a local store, (Adorama), had one for $36 USD. The salesman told me it was completely manual, (as the box was marked), but I had to have one so I drove to them and bought it.

Four months and about 300 shots later, I looked really close at it. To my surprise it actually was an Adaptall PKA-2, not manual as marked on the box.

Being the honest guy I am, (or stupid???), I went back to clear things up. They told me not to worry about it since their store was marked for closing a month later and the books were closed on my sale anyway.

Like I said, big stores do make honest mistakes here and there. (Color me happy!)
06-16-2009, 10:10 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have bought numerous smaller Pentax accessories from this eBay seller “emiliaarts”.
(Mostly lens cases and caps, nothing as big as a lens.)

I have had no problems with them as a seller; the only issue is that you have to question some of their item descriptions. Example they sell a camera case that fits about ten different bodies, wrong. You as a buyer need to know what the case you are after looks like and which camera it fits.

I just bought an eye cup from them and they said it also fit about ten different bodies, which I know have different sized viewer accessory grooves. I wanted to buy the eye cup for my K2 & KX, so I asked for them to send me pictures of the eye cup mounted on those bodies. They sent the photos and I purchased it. I just think they are not that knowledgeable about some of the items they are selling.

I bought a Pentax K400/5.6 from the “matsuiyastore” and was totally happy with it. They are true professionals and know what they are talking about.

My advice is to buy the big stuff from the real camera stores and save the smaller accessories for the other guys.
06-17-2009, 11:09 PM   #25
Veteran Member

If anyone has lenses that have been butchered like that please feel free to send them my way

Skyntara,
I can almost bet that a Sigma SLR shooter owned that lens in the past. We have to shave off the aperture lever, along with the plastic part sticking up beside it.
Then it'll fit our Sigma's.

In the case of the 50mm f1.2 I believe that it'll hit the UV (dust) filter pictured here

before it'll hit infinity. So it's a useless lens for anything other than close up photography.
But most people wouldn't realize this before preforming the mods required.

The missing pin probably just happened, while preforming the mod.

Sigma cameras use a K-Mount (although a little larger than the Pentax, so a Pentax lens fits a little loose) and the electronics used in Canon lenses.
With a little work we can modify any new Canon lens to work with out cameras, and any Pentax lenses... which still have a manual aperture adjustment to work with our cameras.
06-18-2009, 01:53 AM   #26

Original Poster
Ahh, might have been a Sigma user. The plot thickens. Although if the person that modded the lens couldn't even get infinity focus then I just might have to rage harder!

Thankfully my 77mm Limited arrived today and took all the pain away.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/638016-post187.html
06-23-2009, 05:10 PM   #27

Original Poster
Well I got a full refund today. Seller was very courteous and apologised profusely.

Quote from seller:

"I would also like to inform you that i have noted your details down in are database so that if you ever did decide to buy of us then we could offer a better deal to you to make things up for any inconvenience caused.
Please email me back with what you think, or if theirs ANYTHING else i can help you with."

So I'm pretty happy with this resolution. These guys do seem to have a bit of Pentax gear and if you don't live in the EU are very happy to remove VAT from their prices.

I am out $30 in shipping, but he refunded the total payment made to him, including shipping.

And now I get the privilege of saying that I've owned 2! 50mm A 1.2

Last edited by Skyntara; 06-23-2009 at 05:21 PM.
02-01-2010, 11:38 PM   #28

My lens

I've owned a Pentax SMC A 50mm f:1.2 since about 1985. Looking close at Skyntara's pictures at the top, I noticed something different.

Sure I've got the lever on mine but for whatever reason, on the ring, the filled in "dimples" beside the needed dot, (drilled out on his), are not on my lens.

Anyone know what those dimples are for?

LoL: The only problem it now has is that it's difficult to focus. LoL
(Reality is... my old eyeballs starting to go bad and I'm leaning towards auto focus lenses.)

Last edited by George E Norkus; 02-01-2010 at 11:49 PM. Reason: Additional data.
02-02-2010, 11:36 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by George E Norkus Quote
I've owned a Pentax SMC A 50mm f:1.2 since about 1985. Looking close at Skyntara's pictures at the top, I noticed something different.

Sure I've got the lever on mine but for whatever reason, on the ring, the filled in "dimples" beside the needed dot, (drilled out on his), are not on my lens.

Anyone know what those dimples are for?
The dimples tell the camera what the lens's maximum and minimum apertures are. That allows the camera body to control the aperture when the lens is set to A. A complete explanation is here:

Features and Operation of the Ka Mount

Pentax and other manufacturers built these mounts in different ways, probably designed around their manufacturing process. There are newer and older mounts for the A50/1.2. They both send the same information to the camera, though.

The missing part on the OP's lens is this three-piece assembly:

The rounded part sticks through a hole in the mount. The spring allows it to move out of the way when the lens is mounted. The contact connects the mount to the contact on the camera body for an A lens. The rounded part retracts when the aperture ring moves off the A position.