Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2009, 12:06 AM   #1

My A 50mm 1.2 is Castrated! How to Proceed?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I've been so excited for the past week waiting for my Pentax-A 1.2 50mm to arrive.

I probably paid a little more than necessary for it, but it seemed to be a good specimen from a decent ebay store. I really wanted one, and there weren't many around to choose from. The listing is below.

Pentax-A 50mm f1.2 Lens K1000/ME/LX/K200D/K20D/K10D/IST - eBay, For Digital SLR, Camera Lenses, Photography. (end time 08-Jun-09 19:14:28 AEST)

I got the seller to drop the VAT since he was shipping out of the EU and everything seemed great until today, when it arrived.

I find that we have two MAJOR problems.

Some (canikon) Ahole has shaved off the aperture lever *and* managed to lose the pin for the electronic coupling.

So basically now I have paid good money for a lens that isn't even as usable as the M 1.2 50mm.

I have contacted the seller and made it clear that I am not amused. On close inspection of their tiny photos I can now make out that the aperture lever is missing and the electric contact is an empty hole. Unfortunately I was more interested in the glass when looking at the pictures and figure that 2 things as blatant as these would be in the description rather than "This Lens is in Very good condition. this lens would be a 9.0 out of 10 for its condition. Only Very light wear on the barrel"

The lens is quite nice so I'm wondering if I should seek a part refund and attempt to repair it, or take a full refund, throw in some more cash and buy one from Germany for another $100 that includes manual and box (and presumably aperture lever and A pin).

Pictures below:

and F*** the canikons who carve up rare valuable Pentax lenses because their lenses either suck or are too expensive. This is the second A 1.2 lens that I've seen mutilated for use on another system. Can't they at least use the M version?

Sorry, I'm raging pretty hard right now....

06-15-2009, 12:11 AM   #2
Veteran Member

the place to buy A50/1.2 is eBay My World - matsuiyastore

389 British pounds = 637 U.S. dollars (?)
and Matsuiya has it for US $538.00 + US $25.80 shipping

Last edited by deejjjaaaa; 06-15-2009 at 12:19 AM.
06-15-2009, 12:27 AM   #3

Original Poster
Sadly they didn't have any listed when I was buying.

If I can get my money back that would probably be the go.

I'll take that as a vote to get a refund and repurchase one with all its bits intact.
06-15-2009, 12:44 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wow. Sorry to hear. For the money you paid, I don't think it's worth it unless you can get half the money back as partial refund. Anything less, return for a full refund and buy elsewhere.

Sellers like that should get their balls kicked in.

06-15-2009, 01:02 AM   #5

Original Poster
Oh yeah.

Partial refund would need to bring it down below the cost of a 1.2 M 50mm. That's basically what it is, without open aperture focusing, stop down metering.

The only bone-us is the 9 Aperture blades.

We shall see. The only good thing about it being a reputable seller is they should at least treat the complaint seriously.
06-15-2009, 01:20 AM   #6
Veteran Member

You probably overlooked the photos posted by the seller because the missing electrical contact is there.
Without the electrical contact and aperture lever, the lens is basically junk imo. Don't know if one can cannibalize any old A lens but at any rate, that would mean more cost and no guarantee such repair will work. Ask for a refund pronto... item was not as described.
06-15-2009, 01:54 AM   #7

Original Poster
Dispute with paypal is open.

It's sad because this lens does take some nice shots. Mucking around inside with low light and getting very nice results wide open.

Bokeh is making me cry.

06-15-2009, 03:09 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That is bad news. The seller should have made clear the lens was significantly altered and would be of no real use to a pentax owner. You should get a full refund.

btw there is no M version of this lens, only a "K" version.

Both the "K" and A 1.2's are great lenses.
06-15-2009, 03:51 AM   #9

Original Poster
Good news, the seller is willing to refund in full. I guess I'll whack that cheaper one on the credit card while I wait for a refund - that's what credit cards are for.

They only acknowledged that the tiny contact for the electronic coupling was missing - no mention of the fact that the aperture lever and surround were shaved off. Lens Serial number is 1413412 so it can be avoided.

I'm guessing I just send it back registered post and request a refund. Not sure on the procedure exactly as I've never returned anything from ebay and the guides don't explain what to do.
06-15-2009, 04:21 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Skyntara Quote
I'm guessing I just send it back registered post and request a refund. Not sure on the procedure exactly as I've never returned anything from ebay and the guides don't explain what to do.
Do make very sure that you return it with a postal service that:

1) Shows status of transit/delivery online.
2) Shows the postal code/area code of the business/residence it's returned to.
3) Because of the high value of the item, use a postal service that requires a signature before it will be handed over.

All three of these things are NECESSARY, or else the seller, if they are unscrupulous, can basically say they never received it while holding it in their hands and keeping your money. Again, all three are necessary; having just one or two will not secure your refund, and neither will something like if your online tracking information only shows the town/state/county it was delivered to and not the postal code.

Also, you can expedite your refund by calling up PayPal and telling them it's been delivered successfully after you've confirmed it yourself online. 90% of the time, they will instantly refund you over the phone in a matter of 1-3 minutes.

One more thing, I wouldn't leave the seller a negative if they truly seemed out of the loop as to the condition of the item. I usually reserve negatives for sellers who harass me or are openly defiant of eBay/PayPal policy. A neutral would be fine. Beware of leaving a positive feedback with a negative comment, though, as it can be removed by eBay.

I've got quite a bit of experience with not-as-described items or bad sellers on eBay (unfortunately), and I've always successfully gotten a good outcome. If you really need help in a pinch, feel free to PM me. Sorry about your crummy lens, and cheers!

Last edited by wallyb; 06-15-2009 at 04:28 AM.
06-15-2009, 04:49 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

yikes...it would be possible to repair that lens,but it would be better not to let the seller get away with that kind of mutilation to such a wonderful piece of glass..
06-15-2009, 04:58 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by RawheaD Quote
Sellers like that should get their balls kicked in.
Most likely the seller didn't recognize the modification. Nobody should get their balls kicked in.
06-15-2009, 05:00 AM   #13

Original Poster
Yeah, sending it back registered with signature because that's how they sent it to me.

They seem pretty cool, offered refund without hesitation and they seem to be a pretty decent ebay store so I'm pretty confident there won't be any issues.

I've just done one last check on Ebay and purchased the A 1.2 from matsuiyastore.

Oh how I wish that one was listed ealier.
06-15-2009, 05:24 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Skyntara Quote
Yeah, sending it back registered with signature because that's how they sent it to me.

They seem pretty cool, offered refund without hesitation and they seem to be a pretty decent ebay store so I'm pretty confident there won't be any issues.

I've just done one last check on Ebay and purchased the A 1.2 from matsuiyastore.

Oh how I wish that one was listed ealier.
In reading the comments etc, if this was in fact an E-Bay store, they should have known better.

I can see an individual, posting sale of an item where they don't know technically what is and is not correct, BUT NOT A STORE.

they rated the lens a 9 out of 10. that implies almost new, not with bits hacked off and bare metal showing.

They have a responsibility for posting things correctly, and should not put that onus on you to review 320x200 thumbnail photos of the product
06-15-2009, 06:31 AM   #15

Original Poster
Indeed, especially when they claim they are "the Biggest Pentax and Ilford supplier in the world with thousand of product."

But as I said, they were very quick to reply, offered me a full refund no problems, and provided it goes smoothly I don't feel the need to try and punish them with feedback or anything like that. Maybe the work experience kid made a mistake or something.

However, if they relist it with the same desciption I'll be a bit annoyed. Still, I've noted the serial number so I'll just keep any eye out after I return it and make sure there's no sheningans.