Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2007, 03:33 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hama Multicoated UV Filter

Just tested my HAMA "HTMC"Multicoated UV Filter for my Pentax 31 Limited lens. It has four layers on each side and I will add, am very impressed with the build quality. It is on par with the HOYA Pro Filters at a very reasonable price.

Ben

04-30-2007, 03:56 AM   #17

Only for very special shots I take the filter off. Maybe not a bad idea to test it for each of my lenses under conditions I usually work in.
04-30-2007, 06:10 AM   #18
Inactive Account

Protection Without Degradation

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
I just read an article in our Local Rag by Dave McGinn (National Post) titled Great Photographs usually clear, clean. The article goes on how to take good pictures - catered towards advanced PS and SLR (both film and Digital).

The one point that has caused me some concern with reagrds to SLR is "Avoid UV filers. Do not under any circummstances put a UV filter on the end of a lens. That will degrade image quaility right away before you even get started. You do want to put filters such as polizared ones on your lens bases on the shooting conditions"

All my lenses have Tiffen Filters. 2 - Haze-1 Filters., 1- Sky-1 A. It says they absorbs almost 1/2 the UV Light fo the Sky-1 and 3/4 for the Haze-1. I bought them at the recommendation of where I bought the camera - for me it as more so for protection. I think they were around $20 - $25.

So did I get hosed ? Is this Article becuase the author has shares in Tiffen or other filter companies ? Am I really degrading the quality of my camera ? What are some good filters to use ?
I am in the camp of those who would rather not chance a damaged front element. My choice is the B+W MRC clear glass. Hopefully, all I am getting is high quality lense protection without any filtering effects. These "filters" ( I own four of them) are not cheap, but the peace of mind is worth it.
04-30-2007, 04:54 PM   #19
Site Supporter

The filter debate surprised me when I re-entered photography via a DSLR at the end of 2005. Back when I started "serious" photography with an MX in the late 70's (and well before the internet age), I recall what seemed to be universal belief in UV or skylight filters. Did something change with digital, or did I just happen to read books and magazines written or edited by people who believed in (or advertised) them?

Now I still use them (Hoya, Pentax or B&W) 'cause I "grew up that way" and I feel comfortable with the protection.

Jer

04-30-2007, 07:42 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Amid one of the heated debates regarding filiters, someone asked - more than once - "whose lens was saved by having a filter on it?" and "whose lens was lost by not having a filter on it?" There were no replies to either question, though one guy had a totalled front element (if not more) that a filter would not have saved.

I don't think that was in the following thread, but this is the one I always post regarding filter use/non-use.

Filter recommendation - Digital Camera Resource Page - Forums
05-01-2007, 12:26 AM   #21

UV filter does not degrade image uqality

I found this as an interesting info.

http://www.pbase.com/lightrules/uvtest

BR,
kyrios
05-01-2007, 06:26 AM   #22
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Ummm as most mentioned there are 'campers' on both sides, akin to the are Zooms better than Primes ? I guess at this point I am in the camp that most of the time , for most of the pictures a filter is not going to degrade the image to the point is is noticeable to the average person. If pp is done the difference if any would even be less so.

As for protection I also believe it is a good general pratice - I don't know anyone who has had a filter save their lens - however most of us buy Life Insurance and just hope not to die

The delima for me now is does the quality (re: price) of a filter make a significant enough difference to justify the price ? This is certainly the case for 'most things'. The last link provided seems to idicate not so much however I am sure some of you here have links and reports that will show the difference.

Once my Tamron lens arrives (sans filter) perhaps I will pick up a higher end filter (see if I can get a 14 day return policy) - I hate to spend a $100.00 when $25 would so just as fine.

Some nice alternative filter choices were presented here as well - so thanks for that.
05-01-2007, 09:46 AM   #23
Forum Member

I find a lens cap protects my lens better than a filter. It goes on immediately when I'm done taking a picture and comes off before the next one.

The reason to not use filters has more to do with glare than haze or optical quality. All filters are flat, and as such they will cause a ghost image of any bright or specular light source. Its just physics. Also, if lit strongly from the side, they will cause a lot of veiling glare which can ruin a picture even more than the "ufos" you get from the specular reflections.

Yes, even the best multi-coated filters suffer from these problems. Not as much as poorly coated filters, of course.

05-01-2007, 10:59 AM   #24
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jbarnhart Quote
I find a lens cap protects my lens better than a filter. It goes on immediately when I'm done taking a picture and comes off before the next one.
Funny thing is they don't protect while you are taking the picture, and lens caps can fall off in transit as well.
05-01-2007, 04:34 PM   #25
Veteran Member

And the rain, dust and food scraps can get onto the front element easily as well.

My bigma does not have a filter screwed on as I cannot bother to spend another 80 US dollars or so to get a filter for it. While I was trying to take a shot of a bird in the park, I got a car passing by splashing all the dirty water onto the lens itself. I guess it happened far too often not to have something to protect the front element
05-01-2007, 04:36 PM   #26
Veteran Member

I also got some pigeon pooh dropping onto the UV filter which is screwed onto the front element of Fa 31 ltd while I was photographying flowers!
05-02-2007, 12:08 AM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by jbarnhart Quote
Hey, whaddayaknow, I happen to have a transparent Hoya lens cap :-P
But seriously - I find it very tedious to fiddle with lens cap all the time. Especially when I use lens hood, then it's absolute pain in the butt.
05-02-2007, 02:57 AM   #28
Veteran Member

I haven't had a lens SAVED from destruction by a filter. But I have had a lens scratched that didn't have a filter (early on) and I have had plenty of filters scratched.

I have sold a number of lenses and the fact that they always had a filter on them and had not the slightest mark on the glass may have helped the resell value ;-)

I do know someone who dropped a lens off a side table and it impacted on the filter cracking the filter and no mark on the lens.

Some lenses are very unprotected by the hood (others have good hoods and need no filter) if you check out the Sigma 10-20 you will see what I mean, the hood provides almost zero protection for the glass...
05-02-2007, 05:16 AM   #29
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
I also got some pigeon pooh dropping onto the UV filter which is screwed onto the front element of Fa 31 ltd while I was photographying flowers!
Wow the odds of that are pretty high - never would have considered that a risk factor - I can see the commercial now - " ... and crap resistant as well ...."