Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2009, 10:45 AM   #1
Moderator
Site Supporter
photolady95's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Cruising PentaxForums and watching your back.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,650
I searched the data base for this lens

but couldn't find where it had been asked about before.

70-300 F4-5.6 SIGMA DG MACRO (58)

I'd like any comments on this lens as I am thinking about purchasing it. Since it does say DG, will it be ok on my two cameras in my sig?

06-15-2009, 12:03 PM   #2
Veteran Member
deejjjaaaa's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: steel city / rust belt
Posts: 2,046
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
Since it does say DG, will it be ok on my two cameras in my sig?
in Sigma-land "DG" means full frame, "DC" means crop... however DG lenses might (not sure if all of them) also be w/o the aperture ring.
06-15-2009, 01:15 PM   #3
Moderator
Site Supporter
photolady95's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Cruising PentaxForums and watching your back.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,650
Original Poster
Thanks. I looked again on the web (keh doesn't show a photo of this lens) but could not see an aperture ring in any of the photos I found of this lens.

I'm now looking at one similar but has a "DL" and this does show an aperture ring. Although, the other lens was rated LN- this other one is rated EX.
06-15-2009, 01:22 PM   #4
Banned




Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Savannah, U.S./Baguio City, P.H.
Posts: 5,979
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
Thanks. I looked again on the web (keh doesn't show a photo of this lens) but could not see an aperture ring in any of the photos I found of this lens.

I'm now looking at one similar but has a "DL" and this does show an aperture ring. Although, the other lens was rated LN- this other one is rated EX.

not having an aperture ring shouldn't be a problem with either bodies in your signature. it will be like using a lens thats permanently in 'A' mode. you would be able to control the aperture from the body, the same way you would do if you were to use a Pentax DA lens. or an A, F , FA, DFA lens for that matter.

06-15-2009, 02:37 PM   #5
Senior Member




Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: London
Posts: 103
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
but couldn't find where it had been asked about before.

70-300 F4-5.6 SIGMA DG MACRO (58)

I'd like any comments on this lens as I am thinking about purchasing it. Since it does say DG, will it be ok on my two cameras in my sig?
I have the sigma 70-300, Like in the other thread I posted the 70-300 is super, everyone say it is bad but then I found that as good as my DA* 50-135. I think it either must be I have a super good copy of sigma DG70-300 macro or I have a bad copy of 50-135.

Anyhow I do not have any problem using the sigma 70-300, unless in low light indoor condition
06-15-2009, 04:20 PM   #6
Moderator
Site Supporter
photolady95's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Cruising PentaxForums and watching your back.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,650
Original Poster
No aperture, no manual settings? But even using the av and tv controls, I want a lens with an Aperture ring. Call me stubborn.
06-15-2009, 06:29 PM   #7
Senior Member




Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: London
Posts: 103
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
No aperture, no manual settings? But even using the av and tv controls, I want a lens with an Aperture ring. Call me stubborn.
The sigma 70-300 has the aperture ring fitted, so it is possible to use on super old cameras
06-15-2009, 06:58 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Canada_Rockies's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sparwood, BC, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,529
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
No aperture, no manual settings? But even using the av and tv controls, I want a lens with an Aperture ring. Call me stubborn.
You have manual settings ma'am. You just turn a little wheel while looking through the viewfinder instead of taking the camera away from your eye to look at the ring or (as I do with the M400 and M100) counting clicks from wide open. That said, there is a feel to the antiques that cannot be matched. I'm about to spring $100 or so on my 400 to have it tuned up. (Loose tripod shoe and slow aperture).

06-15-2009, 07:17 PM   #9
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter
Ash's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toowoomba, Queensland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 22,695
If you're going to get this lens, be sure it's the APO version.
The non-APO version really isn't worth the money you would spend on it.
I've had both and find both sub-par (flat colours and contrast, soft images) unless there are perfect lighting conditions.
Sorry m42geo, I disagree that there is not much difference between the Sigma 70-300 (either of them) and the Pentax DA* 50-135. There is a WORLD of difference - in every aspect.

My suggestion would be to consider the DA 55-300 for much better IQ and colour rendition, for just a few extra bucks. Otherwise, I'd say to get Sigma's or Tamron's chunky 70-200/2.8 lens for even better results.
06-15-2009, 07:50 PM   #10
Moderator
Site Supporter
photolady95's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Cruising PentaxForums and watching your back.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,650
Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
originally posted by Albert....
You have manual settings ma'am. You just turn a little wheel while looking through the viewfinder instead of taking the camera away from your eye to look at the ring or (as I do with the M400 and M100) counting clicks from wide open. That said, there is a feel to the antiques that cannot be matched.
And thanks for that and the smile.

How about this one:

Pentax Smcp-fa 80-320 4.5/5.6

And I couldn't afford that APO lens. Low income puts a dent in buying the best equipment. I had most of the best when I lived up north. I should have kept it.
06-15-2009, 07:58 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Canada_Rockies's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sparwood, BC, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,529
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
And thanks for that and the smile.

How about this one:

Pentax Smcp-fa 80-320 4.5/5.6

And I couldn't afford that APO lens. Low income puts a dent in buying the best equipment. I had most of the best when I lived up north. I should have kept it.
That one should be in the review database. Some of the lower priced Pentax lenses will do in the interim while you wait for your lottery ticket to come up.
06-15-2009, 08:06 PM   #12
Banned




Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Savannah, U.S./Baguio City, P.H.
Posts: 5,979
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
No aperture, no manual settings? But even using the av and tv controls, I want a lens with an Aperture ring. Call me stubborn.
got nothing against aperture rings ma'am. just giving the facts.
06-15-2009, 08:18 PM   #13
Senior Member




Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: London
Posts: 103
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
If you're going to get this lens, be sure it's the APO version.
The non-APO version really isn't worth the money you would spend on it.
I've had both and find both sub-par (flat colours and contrast, soft images) unless there are perfect lighting conditions.
Sorry m42geo, I disagree that there is not much difference between the Sigma 70-300 (either of them) and the Pentax DA* 50-135. There is a WORLD of difference - in every aspect.

My suggestion would be to consider the DA 55-300 for much better IQ and colour rendition, for just a few extra bucks. Otherwise, I'd say to get Sigma's or Tamron's chunky 70-200/2.8 lens for even better results.
Maybe you are right and I hope that you are right as I paid alot more for the 50-135 as well. I am going to test it out more. However the 70-300 non apo did gave me very good image overall
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
data base, dg, k-mount, lens, pentax lens, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I have searched and not yet found, zoom that is sharp at f2.8? AndrewJ Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 36 07-09-2010 01:54 PM
DA Lens data and EXIF GeneV Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 9 04-21-2010 07:29 AM
EXIF data on 50mm lens deludel Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 5 06-04-2009 01:30 PM
Lens exif data problem slowpez Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 0 02-18-2009 10:06 AM
Editing EXIF lens data RobA_Oz Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 0 11-08-2008 02:17 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:18 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top