Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2009, 11:20 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Accessories for FA50

Hi,

I am looking for a hood and a pouch for my FA50 f/1.4. Any suggestions? I searched this forum and found a nice Katz metal hood, but you cannot use a filter when it's on. I love this lens and I think it's a shame to carry it loose in my bag and use it without the additional protection offered by a hood (plus the control of difraction of course)

Thanks!

Last edited by SylBer; 06-15-2009 at 11:31 AM.
06-15-2009, 11:46 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I have a metal hood for mine I bought from B&H (or was it Adorama?). The hood is definitely recommended as that lens suffers from flare. It is screw-on, if you use filters the filter goes between the lens and hood. Just search for "49mm hood metal" and you should find a few.
06-16-2009, 09:52 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks. I did not think you could put a filter first and then screw the hood on the filter. Sounds logical.
06-16-2009, 11:07 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SylBer Quote
Hi,

I am looking for a hood and a pouch for my FA50 f/1.4. Any suggestions? I searched this forum and found a nice Katz metal hood, but you cannot use a filter when it's on. I love this lens and I think it's a shame to carry it loose in my bag and use it without the additional protection offered by a hood (plus the control of difraction of course)

Thanks!
BTW, you can use a hood that's intended for a ~75mm lens, if you're shooting on a DSLR.

06-16-2009, 12:42 PM   #5
Forum Member

Doesn't flare usually cause a lowering of contrast across the entire image circle? Thus wouldn't the size of the hood required depend on the size of the lens opening and nothing else? I ask this not rhetorically, but because I'm not sure. It seems to me like a lens hood designed for a 75mm might still let some flare in on the 50.

[edit] Ah, a later response showed where I wasn't thinking right. A 75mm hood would actually cover the element more, which would be fine because of the reduced image circle. It makes perfect sense to me now. Disregard my earlier thoughts.

Last edited by lunelson; 06-16-2009 at 02:18 PM.
06-16-2009, 12:52 PM   #6
pbo
Veteran Member

I'll pitch in - I've always been using my Takumar 135/3.5 hood on the 50's - never vignetted.
06-16-2009, 01:10 PM   #7

Photos: Gallery
A cheap second hand one from eBay should be fine, as long as you don't mind the screw-on type. You can usually find both solid ones and flexible rubber types. Don't forget to search for job lots of accessories too, as they can sometimes be full of unexpected useful bits that don't come up on a search.
06-16-2009, 07:01 PM   #8
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a collapsable rubber hood over a UV filter on my fast fifty, which is taken off for a CP-L with metal hood (for ease of rotating the CP-L) when needed. The rubber hood is great as it can stay on the lens the whole time without taking up any extra room in the bag.

06-16-2009, 07:27 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks to those of you who took the time to answer my question seriously. Didn't Forest Gump once said something about behaving this way?
06-16-2009, 07:50 PM   #10
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by asdf Quote
BTW, you can use a hood that's intended for a ~75mm lens, if you're shooting on a DSLR.
Explain?
06-16-2009, 08:27 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by _who_ Quote
Explain?
What I meant was this: If an ebay seller claims the hood is a "telephoto hood" meant for a ~75mm lens when used on a 35mm camera, then you can screw it onto a 50mm lens when it's on a DSLR and you won't get vignetting. An ebay hood that is labelled "normal" may in fact work on a ~28mm lens without vignetting (on the cropped DSLR sensor).
06-17-2009, 06:20 AM   #12
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by asdf Quote
What I meant was this: If an ebay seller claims the hood is a "telephoto hood" meant for a ~75mm lens when used on a 35mm camera, then you can screw it onto a 50mm lens when it's on a DSLR and you won't get vignetting. An ebay hood that is labelled "normal" may in fact work on a ~28mm lens without vignetting (on the cropped DSLR sensor).
If I understand correctly, and I'm not sure that I do, using an APS-c sensor simply give the field of view of a 75mm lens when using a 50mm lens. So, a hood designed for a 50mm lens would not cause vignetting because the sensor is not using the lens, or hood, edge to edge but simply a portion of the lens.

Is that not correct????