Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2009, 01:42 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Which *DA Lens to pick...looking for suggestions

HI,

I want to pick up a *DA lens and not sure which one to go with. I would like to consider this a prime or kit lens to leave on the camera for general use. Of course when I have something specific going on I would have my other zooms with me.

1st lens is the 16-50mm f2.8, my issues are the following. I already have quite a bit of zoom capacity and not sure if I should really get yet another zoom. My biggest issue is that their seems to be a lot of issues with quality on this lens. I have read thru the threads on this lens and it still seems their are bad copies out in the marketplace. Yet if you get a good one it takes fantastic shots.

2nd lens I was considering was the 55mm f1.4, I read thru the review on the forum on this lens and the pics looked good.

Like I said I want to use this for general use. I tend to leave the camera in the car in case something comes up and don't want to have to keep a bunch of zooms with me at all times.
Any suggestions or insight on either lens is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Kevin

06-15-2009, 02:01 PM   #2
Forum Member

Seems you just need a small normal prime? How do you like the FA limiteds such as 31mm and 43mm? 55m on a digital body could be too long for a normal lens.
06-15-2009, 02:06 PM   #3
D W
Veteran Member

If you are looking for a DA prime to leave on the camera as a grab and shoot lens the 55f1.4 might be a little long IMHO.
I use the DA21 for this purpose.
I keep a DA21 on the istD as my grab and shoot combo. The istD is lighter and smaller than the K10, 20D.
06-15-2009, 02:14 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Had not really considered one of the two you mentioned. Your right on about the 55 possibly being too long which is why i was thinking about the 16-50, but then their seems to be so many folks that have gotten bad copies of this lens and have to return multiple times trying to get a good one.

06-15-2009, 02:18 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
*DA Lens

Thanks DW, I will start looking at some of the limiteds and of course pricing them.

QuoteOriginally posted by D W Quote
If you are looking for a DA prime to leave on the camera as a grab and shoot lens the 55f1.4 might be a little long IMHO.
I keep a DA21 on the istD as my grab and shoot combo. The istD is lighter and smaller than the K10, 20D.
06-15-2009, 02:19 PM   #6
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If money is no object the FA 31 ltd is top notch.
I wouldn't worry too much about the 16-50's QA issues - most of them had been sorted out halfway through production. It's a very versatile and great zoom lens for general purpose.
06-15-2009, 02:36 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
*DA Lens

Thanks Ash,

I wish money was no object and that lens is certainly a pricey one.
Thanks for your suggestion...

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
I wouldn't worry too much about the 16-50's QA issues - most of them had been sorted out halfway through production. It's a very versatile and great zoom lens for general purpose.

06-15-2009, 02:57 PM   #8
Ari
Veteran Member

Which *DA Lens to pick...looking for suggestions

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Ash is right - sold my beauty to fund a DA*16-50. Pretty happy with it. Needed it to keep the DA*50-135 company in my bag........but the FA 31mm ltd may be one of the best lenses ever made by any camera company. Not the most ideal walkaround lens, but when you use it, you can't help but be delighted by the results......
06-15-2009, 03:00 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by D W Quote
I thinking about getting the 21mm and keep it on my camera as well.. as I found the focal length to be perfect for me

how often do you find 3.2 too slow with this lens?
06-15-2009, 03:14 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
*DA Lens choice

Ari,

You say you sold your 31 for the 16-50 and your pretty happy with it. Any insight on that lens, your experience with it so far?
For now the 31 is a bit out my price range.

Thanks,

QuoteOriginally posted by Ari Quote
Ash is right - sold my beauty to fund a DA*16-50. Pretty happy with it. Needed it to keep the DA*50-135 company in my bag........but the FA 31mm ltd may be one of the best lenses ever made by any camera company. Not the most ideal walkaround lens, but when you use it, you can't help but be delighted by the results......
06-15-2009, 04:03 PM   #11
Ari
Veteran Member

stl09:
I needed the focal length for weddings and events. Not sure if the IQ is as good as the 50-135, but I haven't really had a chance to use it as much as I'd like. In hindsight, I wish I would have kept the 31mm for portraiture and waited quite a bit longer to get the 16-50.