Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2009, 06:20 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What next?

So, I have amassed a decent collection of manual lenses.

In addition to the kit lens, I have the Zenitar 16mm fisheye which is fun.
Kiron 28mm 2.8
50mm 1.7
Sears 135mm 2.8 (I wish it focused closer, but... )
75-205mm Vivitar (Kiron) Not the fastest, but takes nice pictures.
a set of cheap macro tubes.
a horrible 2x teleconverter.

Photography isn't a cheap past time, but I like the challenge of manual lenses, and that's good since they can be had for less.

I shoot a lot of family candids, and concert-lighting events. I like my K100D. I know it's not the newest, or highest resolution, but it's fine for what I do. A K10 would be nice, but...

So, what's next? Save for some autofocus lenses? New body? I find myself wishing for a walkaround zoom sometimes. But I understand their quality is average... I would like a fast long lens, but which one?

Suggestions? What's missing from my kit?

06-15-2009, 07:02 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mediaslinky Quote
So, I have amassed a decent collection of manual lenses.

In addition to the kit lens, I have the Zenitar 16mm fisheye which is fun.
Kiron 28mm 2.8
50mm 1.7
75-205mm Vivitar (Kiron) Not the fastest, but takes nice pictures.
a set of cheap macro tubes.
a horrible 2x teleconverter.

Photography isn't a cheap past time, but I like the challenge of manual lenses, and that's good since they can be had for less.

I shoot a lot of family candids, and concert-lighting events. I like my K100D. I know it's not the newest, or highest resolution, but it's fine for what I do. A K10 would be nice, but...

So, what's next? Save for some autofocus lenses? New body? I find myself wishing for a walkaround zoom sometimes. But I understand their quality is average... I would like a fast long lens, but which one?

Suggestions? What's missing from my kit?
What I see as missing from your lens list is a rectilinear lens between your 16mm fisheye and the 28/2.8, which is almost a normal lens on digital. That's a really big gap. Given a pile of money, my choice is the DA 12-24/4, but it might be out of your budget. The Sigma 10-20 used, maybe? That still leaves a big gap between 20 and 28 ....
06-15-2009, 07:06 PM   #3
Pentaxian

If you're unhappy with the kit lens in the 18-28 range, then yes, a prime in that range makes sense. I personally woud be more uncomfortable with the gap between 50 and 135 when it comes to concerts & events, and would be thinking about 70, 77, 85, or 100mm primes, or else something like the 50-135.
06-15-2009, 07:13 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Actually, I really like the kit lens. Not so good in low light, but OK.

I would like a true wide angle...

The 50-135 range is light. I normally grab the zoom for the 75mm range, but a faster option would be good.

06-15-2009, 07:42 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Maybe a 100 or 105mm f2.8 macro, because of this:

QuoteOriginally posted by mediaslinky Quote
Or maybe you don't need anything. You could be actually happy with your current lenses and that's why you don't know what to get. Plugging every hole with a mathematical progression of Limited primes and f2.8 zooms is not an actual requirement for everyone.

The thing about new bodies is that if you find a reason to delay for a while, something else is always coming up or the price drops or someone discovers a horrible defect in the new camera.