Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-16-2009, 09:23 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote

Since you seem to like old zooms there is one I got for almost nuthing that has blown me away from day 1... that is the Tamron adaptal 103a 80-210 F3.8...
l
Hi Gus,
Got it , love it . goes everywhere with me! Other than something ex long that really pulls my trigger I'm pretty well set for zooms now so it's time to fill in the primes and that niche is probably gonna be all MF and possibly in a large way M42 so I'm seriously considering that Tair 135 you speak so highly of.

Last edited by seacapt; 06-16-2009 at 08:08 PM.
06-16-2009, 09:38 AM   #32
Inactive Account

Absolutely

AF has its place and is invaluable for certain circumstances, but the rest can be aptly handled via MF.

There are some real MF gems out there that far surpass the AF versions. The beauty of Pentax, is that you always get focus confirmation, metering, and at least the green button for even the oldest most primitive fully manual lenses.
06-16-2009, 09:41 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by augustmoon Quote
AF has its place and is invaluable for certain circumstances, but the rest can be aptly handled via MF.

There are some real MF gems out there that far surpass the AF versions. The beauty of Pentax, is that you always get focus confirmation, metering, and at least the green button for even the oldest most primitive fully manual lenses.
Not to mention snap-in-focus/catch-in-focus with any K mount manual focus lens. I use this extensively with my two M series lenses. With the macro it is the best thing going for catching butterflies and such. Set the camera to AF.S, set the exposure, hold down the shutter release all the way, keep the centre AF point on the target. "Click!" Got it.
06-16-2009, 09:52 AM   #34
Veteran Member

FWIW, my zooms are all AF, and I am unlikely to buy a manual zooms for three reasons:

1. The whole point of a zoom for me is the extra convenience that occasionally comes in handy; if I'm buying a lens for convenience, that doesn't seem like a time to give up AF.
2. SR focal length has to either be compromised upon or changed every time you zoom, further reducing the convenience.
3. Zoom technology has improved a lot over the years (meaning many older ones are not very good, although *some* of course are).

My primes, on the other hand, are mostly MF. Not because I have any illusions that they are *better* than modern equivalents, but simply because they are cheaper. But my AF primes are both DA Limiteds (40 & 70) - known for especially fast AF, but more importantly, they also feature qick shift, allowing me to manually focus them with ease as well (despite the funky focus ring on the 40).

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 06-17-2009 at 01:15 PM.
06-16-2009, 04:17 PM   #35
Veteran Member

In my own case I waited a long time before going digital. I already had a number of really good manual Pentax primes (see signature) and staying with Pentax was a no brainer for me. I’m glad I did. I only have one AF lens – the Pentax DA 70/2.4 I got when I purchased the K10. The addition of the Katz Eye screen made focusing a cinch. I shoot manual almost all the time and only pull out the DA 70 when I get lazy.

Does this mean I won’t ever buy any more AF lenses? Not at all. There are many AF Pentax primes I hope to add as time and money permits. The FA 31, DA 14 and DA* 300 come to mind. Till then the “old glass” still delivers remarkable images if I do my job right.

Tom G
06-16-2009, 06:50 PM   #36
Inactive Account

QSF Manual Focus

QuoteOriginally posted by seacapt Quote
My question is this ; who else prefers high quality old tech glass to consumer grade new stuff.
I only buy digital lenses for my digital camera because I'm too lazy to carry old, oversized metal and am a firm believer in buying components that are properly 'matched.' But, I would never use a lens not a Limited; without QSF, that I use alot. Does that count?
06-16-2009, 09:51 PM   #37

Looking at my "keeper" photos, both on the K100D and now the K20D, it seems that most have come from the SMC A 35-105 with a polarizer. Don't know why that is, the photos are just more compelling in color and detail.

06-17-2009, 03:22 AM   #38
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr. The Guy Quote
I only buy digital lenses for my digital camera because I'm too lazy to carry old, oversized metal and am a firm believer in buying components that are properly 'matched.' But, I would never use a lens not a Limited; without QSF, that I use alot. Does that count?
no. no, it does not.
06-17-2009, 11:38 AM   #39
Forum Member

My travel/all-round kit is a Pelican waterproof case with my Takumar 400/5.6, 200/3.5, 105/2.8, 50/1.4, and 28/3.5, as well as a couple of extension rings for macro and lessening the min. focus distance of the longer lenses... Total weight, around 20 lbs, more or less.

That's the direction I went right after buying the camera, and there is nothing about those lenses, or using MF primes as my primary kit that I don't like... for indoors shots I MF, for street shots and landscapes I use the HF point and don't focus. Seems like using MF for tele shots is almost faster than AF...

Having said all that, I used my girlfriend's 50-135* last weekend for wedding portraits, and WOW.

That's the sort of task that I just don't think I'd be up to doing with the Takumars unless I had hands of lightning and nerves of steel...
06-17-2009, 01:01 PM   #40
Veteran Member

on the rare occasions I mount my only AF lens taking photos just becomes boring as compared to when I am using my MF lenses.
True, I do miss focus more often than I wished for, but old lenses have 'character' which make photos taken with the modern AF lens look sterile.
06-26-2009, 05:40 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Zooms make you lazy. Rather than walk to compose your shot, one tends to zoom for framing, with little regard for the effect of focal length.

Using zooms I eventually realized that I usually shot at one extreme or the other, seldom using anything in between.
My solution was easy: Get fixed focal length lenses. Better optical quality, faster speed and lighter weight sweeten the deal.

Chris
06-26-2009, 06:33 PM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Zooms make you lazy. Rather than walk to compose your shot, one tends to zoom for framing, with little regard for the effect of focal length.

Using zooms I eventually realized that I usually shot at one extreme or the other, seldom using anything in between.
My solution was easy: Get fixed focal length lenses. Better optical quality, faster speed and lighter weight sweeten the deal.

Chris
One can, however, train oneself to use the zoom capability of a lens to good effect. Change position slightly, change the zoom wider, then go closer, change the zoom narrower and back up a bit. The focal length of a lens combined with the position and framing are the same. With my 16-50, I can have 19mm if it gives me the subject size, perspective and framing that I want - or 17.87mm if that is better.

One can use a zoom lens in lazy fashion, true, but one can also use it for creative perspective control.
06-27-2009, 12:23 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
that's simply wrong, if i had a dolar every time i heard that.. walking to frame is fundamentally wrong, focal length has no effect whatsoever on anything else but framing (and dof, but not the point right now). a zoom is good because, as albert pointed out, it allows you to frame precisely what you want from where you want it, because perspective is given by your distance to the subject: if you walk to change your framing, you will also change perspective, and most probably the angle of view as well, so you are changing too many parameters to be in control. one should choose the distance first (for the wanted perspective), the angle (and thus point to shoot from) next, and the lens focal length after all this.

maybe i'm an old timer, but it's just the way i understand things, fwiw

QuoteQuote:

Chris
interestingly, i have realized something similar, though not exactly (i do use stuff in between), what i don't notice though when i make this assesment is that the zoom allows me to frame precisely, yeah, it was a "30-ish focal length", but choosing 27 instead of 31 allowed me to frame exactly how i wanted.

funny enough, though, i prefer fixed focal lengths myself ("old timer" again, i guess)
07-04-2009, 01:35 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nanok Quote
...focal length has no effect whatsoever on anything else but framing (and dof, but not the point right now)...
Wikipedia: Perspective distortion in photography
07-04-2009, 02:08 PM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr. The Guy Quote
You insult your own intelligence by even asking. Of course it doesn't.

If someone asked, "Does anyone here ride a horse to work?" would you answer back "I have genuine leather seat covers in my car. Does that count?"

People would scratch their heads wondering if you're really so obtuse as to think it would count or are just starved for human interaction.