Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2009, 07:08 AM   #76
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Sounds great J! Many would be very happy with such a kit.

07-12-2009, 07:37 AM   #77
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 24X36NOW Quote
Every lens I own is MF. Quite frankly, most of the Pentax AF lenses were cheap crap, with the exceptions of the "*" lenses, which usually had poor availability and/or excessive prices. All of my cameras except for my dSLRs are manual focus anyway, and I wouldn't buy any APS-C lenses since I couldn't use those on my film bodies.
F 50mm 1.4, F 50mm 1.7, FA 50mm 1.4, FA 50mm 1.7, F 135 mm 2.8, FA 135m 2.8, F 50mm 2.8 Macro, F 100 mm 2.8 Macro. Just about all the F and FA series primes are not "cheap crap"; they're not "*" lenses; they had plenty of availability; and reasonable prices when new.

I do agree with you on the DA lenses. I won't buy them either, due to their non backward compatibility and high prices.

QuoteOriginally posted by 24X36NOW Quote
With just a couple of exceptions, a "standard" 50mm and a 15mm (so I had SOMETHING that vaguely resembled a "wide" angle on the damn APS-C dSLRs), I have nothing but zooms, since I prefer the framing control and the "seamless" focal length coverage. I prefer MF lenses, since many of the AF lenses had those godawful skinny little focusing rings that you could hardly find, much less actually use, and many were poorly damped due to the need to accommodate the AF mechanisms. While I think that recent vintage AF lenses are much better in that regard, I prefer my entire range of lenses to work in a similar fashion, so I stick with MF lenses, and I've gone to the used market to fill out my lens collection as necessary. My old MF glass will last as long as I do; I doubt I would be confident that AF lenses would have similar durability - too many "features" to malfunction like motors, chips, drive screws, etc.
You can get the same thing by taking a step forward or backward. A 35-70 is useless, IMO, especially since a standard 50mm will always be sharper, and you can obtain the 35mm by taking a step back, and the 70mm by taking a step forward. Too many photographers suffer from the "let's stand still and zoom in and out" syndrome. Try moving your feet and being a part of the action, not just a scarecrow.
07-12-2009, 08:29 AM   #78
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by K-9 Quote
F 50mm 1.4, F 50mm 1.7, FA 50mm 1.4, FA 50mm 1.7, F 135 mm 2.8, FA 135m 2.8, F 50mm 2.8 Macro, F 100 mm 2.8 Macro. Just about all the F and FA series primes are not "cheap crap"; they're not "*" lenses; they had plenty of availability; and reasonable prices when new.

I do agree with you on the DA lenses. I won't buy them either, due to their non backward compatibility and high prices.
I have three DA lenses. They were pricey but not exorbitantly so. All one need do is check our the price of the Nikon 12-24 and 14-24 lenses to realize that the prices I paid were not serious drawbacks.
QuoteQuote:
You can get the same thing by taking a step forward or backward. A 35-70 is useless, IMO, especially since a standard 50mm will always be sharper, and you can obtain the 35mm by taking a step back, and the 70mm by taking a step forward. Too many photographers suffer from the "let's stand still and zoom in and out" syndrome. Try moving your feet and being a part of the action, not just a scarecrow.
Sometimes, you cannot step forward or back. Check out the Spineback 2007 photo set here, most taken with the MZ-S and 24-90. I would have very much liked to have gotten somewhat closer to Island Lake, visible in the far down on some images, but as you can see from others, that was not an option.
http://ca.groups.yahoo.com/group/sparwood-hiking-club/photos/album/0/list

Also, perspective changes when you move forward and back. Sometimes I want the huge daisy in front of tiny mountains, sometimes I want big mountains. If you are happy with prime lenses, that is your prerogative, your personal choice of equipment. I spent many years happily photographing with a manual camera and two lenses: 55 mm and 135 mm. I found, however, that scenics sometimes demand lenses of wider view than the 55 mm, and it was very difficult to take a photograph of an Osprey with a 135mm lens.

Of my current lens list, only one is crap (FA 28-80) mechanically, if not optically. The other seven are optically and mechanically at least decent. I still own and use two prime lenses - my 100 macro and my 400. Using my zooms, I have possibilities of framing the way I want with the perspective I want with the other six lenses.

Do not assign mindless framing habits to those of us who appreciate the ability to get the exact perspective and framing we want. I recall apologizing to a friend of mine at a garden park for taking so much time on a photograph of water lilies with the FA 24-90 on MZ-S. He said he was pleasantly amused by the up/down/forward/back I did while zooming and framing to get the exact image I wanted. I am absolutely certain that there are numerous other members of these fora who also carefully select the perspective and framing to give the image desired. Sometimes the neither 28mm nor 55mm gives the desired image.

I respect your choice of equipment, and your choice of what you want to use for your photography. Please respect the choices of those of us who have different priorities.

07-12-2009, 01:13 PM   #79
K-9
Veteran Member

I brought up a 35 to 70mm and called it useless. I never said anything about a 24-90 or something like that, because obviously you can't get as wide a perspective with a 50mm, even taking a step back, as you can with a 24mm focal length. You also can't compare a prime 50mm to an 18-270. There are always exceptions. I was merely offering a perspective to someone who uses nothing but zoom lenses, as I've encountered many photographers who are too lazy to work with primes when all it took was a few simple steps forward or back. It's a staple of most how to's and instructional courses in photography, about moving to get the shot you want, rather than zooming. It's a typical and sound suggestion and practice.

I didn't specifically say you or "those of you" or anyone in particular. I'm sure there are many like you who use zooms and move all around to get that precise framing. However, there are those who do not and will not. My comments were to them (if they're reading this ). Sorry you took it so personally.

07-12-2009, 01:23 PM   #80
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by K-9 Quote
...<snip>... I'm sure there are many like you who use zooms and move all around to get that precise framing. However, there are those who do not and will not. My comments were to them (if they're reading this ). Sorry you took it so personally.
I'm sorry my post was offensive. I apologize.
07-12-2009, 03:25 PM   #81
K-9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I'm sorry my post was offensive. I apologize.
No problem.

Getting back on topic, I just scored a Pentax-A 35mm f2.8 on craigslist pretty cheap. Can't wait to test it out. I don't know why some criticize the A series and says it's not as nice as the M. This one is nearly the same build quality as my M 50f1.4, and it should have no issues with exposure on my k20.
07-13-2009, 06:16 AM   #82
Pentaxian

I now have a nice series of primes that I am using for personal work.
I plan to get an 85mm at some point but use the following on a regular basis:
28/2.8 Vivitar K02
35/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/4 Macro, 105/2.8, 135/3.5, 200/4 Super Takumars
360/5.5 Schneider Kreuznach
Less used are 28/2.8 Tokina, 50/2.8 CZJ Tessar, and 135/3.5 Isco Tele Westenar
All but the 28 are M42
When trying to get some PJ Sports shots or an event with unpredictable movement I take the autozooms: 16-45, 50-200 or if on a rugby field the 80-400 Tokina
I have tried to stick with a single lens for an extended period but end up needing to swap out to something else. I try to stick with one mount for a specific gig as it is a hassle moving between ks and adaptor.

07-13-2009, 07:19 AM   #83

I do. Only because my tak's have tainted the build quality of my 18-55mm IS lens therefore currently refuse to use it.

Don't get me wrong, it's sharp at optimal apertures and the IS can be a life saver but the wobbly focus ring and 'sticky'/undampened zoom ring is shockingly terrible.

Damn you Asahi Pentax and your tank-like lenses.
07-13-2009, 07:26 AM   #84
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by 2Thumbs Quote
I do. Only because my tak's have tainted the build quality of my 18-55mm IS lens therefore currently refuse to use it.

Don't get me wrong, it's sharp at optimal apertures and the IS can be a life saver but the wobbly focus ring and 'sticky'/undampened zoom ring is shockingly terrible.

Damn you Asahi Pentax and your tank-like lenses.
I assume you shoot canon?
07-13-2009, 07:29 AM   #85

I do indeed.

Body I use is a 20D.
07-14-2009, 03:28 AM   #86
Inactive Account

IS?

Sorry, but I'm confused. Are you saying you use Tak's on your Canon?
07-14-2009, 07:54 AM   #87

Image stablisation. Like SR but it's in the lens, not the body.

Yes I do use tak's on it, using an AF confirm adapter. Works excellently on Av mode with some exposure compensation.

A Canon 50mm f/1.4 would have cost me £280, I picked up a mint Tak' 50mm f/1.4 for £60 including shipping. That's less than what I sold my Canon 50mm f/1.8 for.
07-14-2009, 09:46 AM   #88
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by 2Thumbs Quote
Image stablisation. Like SR but it's in the lens, not the body.

Yes I do use tak's on it, using an AF confirm adapter. Works excellently on Av mode with some exposure compensation.

A Canon 50mm f/1.4 would have cost me £280, I picked up a mint Tak' 50mm f/1.4 for £60 including shipping. That's less than what I sold my Canon 50mm f/1.8 for.

but god forbid, you try and tell a canon fanboy how good that little 50 really is.
07-14-2009, 09:48 AM   #89
Igilligan

Shhhh

QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
IS?

Sorry, but I'm confused. Are you saying you use Tak's on your Canon?

Yes it is one of the 'unspoken' truths... We talk about pentax and the backwards compatability like it is somehow special among cameras. But actually most bodies can use old lenses and some have even more lens mount options than Pentax.

My good friend in SF, has a Canon DSLR. He saw the results I was getting with all these old lenses and was envious to say the least... He had a two kit combo.
I told him how great the Pentax was because of the backwards compatability... And the fact that I could get these wonderful lenses on craigslist and ebay, cheap!

We did an online search and found out the Canon has even more backwards compatibilty than the Pentax. We got him a couple of adaptors with AF confirm... He now has more Pentax lenses than I do! Rich Bastard!
07-14-2009, 10:06 AM   #90

Indeed, the advantage to having the mirror so far back on crop body EOS camera's is they're compatible with almost all old maunal lenses without any adverse effect on image quality (ironically this doesn't include Canon FD mount lenses)

Using old AI/AI-S Nikkor lenses on a Canon body sends shivvers down both hardcore Nikon and Canon users. The look of digust is only marginally better than the results you get.

The EF 50mm f/1.8 is good optically for the price, but yeah some people think it's some second-coming of jesus or similar. It's really not worth the praise it gets IMO, good for dipping your toe though.