Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-16-2009, 03:18 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Another way to look at the 800mm mirror, think of it as a very nice 400mm that you zoomed up 200% so it looks less sharp. OR....take the 800mm shot and resize it to 50% and after a little PP you may have a pretty hot looking 400mm shot for a $200 lens. I have often taken shots with my 300mm and then the 800mm and resized both to compare quality and I feel pretty good about the 800 when I do that.

It lets me get some shots large enough to be useful that otherwise I would just have to pass on with my 300mm.

Maybe I have too much time on my hands.

06-16-2009, 06:00 PM   #17
Marketplace Reseller

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
Another way to look at the 800mm mirror, think of it as a very nice 400mm that you zoomed up 200% so it looks less sharp. OR....take the 800mm shot and resize it to 50% and after a little PP you may have a pretty hot looking 400mm shot for a $200 lens. I have often taken shots with my 300mm and then the 800mm and resized both to compare quality and I feel pretty good about the 800 when I do that.

It lets me get some shots large enough to be useful that otherwise I would just have to pass on with my 300mm.

Maybe I have too much time on my hands.
Yes it can be seen that way, i already decided its a keeper, now i have to go out and shoot some more with it
06-17-2009, 01:45 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MightyMike Quote
be careful you know what you're getting into if you dare to buy... i'll provide full unedited samples of any of the shots from 800mm F8.0 just so you know what the quality is straight from the camera
I would be curious. But I do know about the contrast issues with a mirror lens, and that somewhat more aggressive than usual sharpening helps. Like I said, I had positive experiences with the Sigma 600/8 mirror I used, but not necessarily straight from the camera!

On the other hand, when I said my wallet is itching, it is actually for one of the lighter 500mm mirrors. If I was going to spend over $200 on a 2 lb mirror, I'd probably just get the Sigma. The value of your post for me was in seeing that good results *are* possible from relatively cheap mirror lenses, if one finds a decent one and is willing to spend the time to understand it and process the images appropriately. So I'm thinking the 500mm version of the same lens could potentially be as good, even if I've seen samples from what appear to be dud copies that are nowhere near as good.
06-17-2009, 06:59 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Nice composition on some of those Rokinon shots. The image quality seems on a par with the price though. But then again, it is 800mm. A lot of noise.

I prefer the shots from the Sigma. Much cleaner. A bit smaller (subject), but filling the frame isn't critical, and a touch of uprezzing won't be noticed.

Choose any two: inexpensive, long focal length, excellent image quality.

06-18-2009, 07:47 AM   #20
Marketplace Reseller

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
I would be curious. But I do know about the contrast issues with a mirror lens, and that somewhat more aggressive than usual sharpening helps. Like I said, I had positive experiences with the Sigma 600/8 mirror I used, but not necessarily straight from the camera!

On the other hand, when I said my wallet is itching, it is actually for one of the lighter 500mm mirrors. If I was going to spend over $200 on a 2 lb mirror, I'd probably just get the Sigma. The value of your post for me was in seeing that good results *are* possible from relatively cheap mirror lenses, if one finds a decent one and is willing to spend the time to understand it and process the images appropriately. So I'm thinking the 500mm version of the same lens could potentially be as good, even if I've seen samples from what appear to be dud copies that are nowhere near as good.
Well th other one i was interested in was the 500mm F6.3 but with my Sigma 100-300mm F4 and 1.7x AFA adapter i can get 510mm F6.8 so there is no real advantage, but i never had a lens at 800mm making it a worthwhile choice
06-18-2009, 07:49 AM   #21
Marketplace Reseller

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kcmadr Quote
Nice composition on some of those Rokinon shots. The image quality seems on a par with the price though. But then again, it is 800mm. A lot of noise.

I prefer the shots from the Sigma. Much cleaner. A bit smaller (subject), but filling the frame isn't critical, and a touch of uprezzing won't be noticed.

Choose any two: inexpensive, long focal length, excellent image quality.
well the noise comes from high ISO, heavy sharpening and heavy contrast in camera i decided not to choose... thats why i have both
07-02-2009, 01:57 PM   #22
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Anybody with a Rok, or for that matter any T-mount lens, might be interested in my post in the Lens forum. You may not be able to contribute but the outcome might help you some day.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/65110-t-mount-...next-week.html

Last edited by imtheguy; 07-11-2009 at 12:55 AM.