Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-16-2009, 10:01 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
M42 Adapter Question

Hi All,

Well, I've been a member for all of five minutes, and I'm already making a nuisance of myself with a question:

I've been using my old Takumars (encouraging results so far) on my *istDL with a proper Pentax-brand M42->K adapter. I'm having an issue with the adapter: when it's installed on the camera, there's significant back-and-forth rotational play - a few mm each way.

There's no such play evident when I have a k-mount lens mounted directly to the body - either the kit lens that came with the outfit or my old manual-focus k-mount lenses.

In addition, by way of attempting a diagnosis, I've installed the M42->K adapter on my old K2 body. It seems much more secure on that camera; if I really try I can induce a little bit of play, but it's negligible compared to what I'm experiencing with the DSLR.

The adapter is old - about the same vintage as my first-generation k-mount cameras.

Any suggestions for further diagnosing this issue? My initial thought was to purchase a new adapter, just to see if the old one is the problem. Of course, if the only possible solution is a later-generation DSLR, I guess I could adjust to that reality....

Thanks in advance for your help!

Cheers,

Jon

06-16-2009, 12:02 PM   #2
Damn Brit

Are you using Pentax lenses or third party lenses with the adapter? I've noticed with mine that if I use a TP lens, there is a little play but Pentax lenses are fine.
If this is an old adapter, it's possible that wear and tear has affected it I suppose.

Moved to Lens Discussion.
06-16-2009, 12:12 PM   #3
Igilligan

I remember a thread...

that talked about bending the flange ears of on older loose adaptor a bit to get a 'snugger' fit... Of course I can not find any hint of it now, so it may have been a dream...

Please do not try bending anything unless you find the thread... if I remember correctly there was description of tools and 'how to'...

Hopefully someone with facts or with the link...

But mine have a little play in them, and I have not found it to be an issue... And some lenses with smaller mount flanges like the helios 44-2 do not actually sit against the lens mount and only sit on the adaptor, so the "play" is more obvious.
06-16-2009, 12:14 PM   #4
Veteran Member

the adapter has no play on my *istDs, but I remember a similar post at dpreview where people had answered that a bit of a play is 'normal'

06-16-2009, 01:52 PM   #5

Original Poster
Hi,

Thanks very much for the replies. (Thanks, too, for relocating this thread appropriately.)

I've been using both Takumars (of several vintages and focal lengths) and other-brand lenses - everything from a Yashica 20mm 3.3, to an ancient Jena 50mm 3.5 Tessar, to a fairly recent-production Jupiter-9.

The photographs (except for user error) have been fine, but the feeling of the play as one focuses is disconcerting.

I suppose it might be worthwhile to give another adapter a try, since I'm basing my inferences on a sample of one - and an elderly one at that. Am I right in assuming that if I go that route, I should avoid the inexpensive adapters populating eBay?

Cheers,

Jon
06-16-2009, 03:09 PM   #6
Veteran Member

My Jupiter-9 has a bit of a wobble when mounted on my K20D and a genuine M42->K adapter, but it's the only lens that does. It's annoying, but I've mostly gotten used to it.
06-16-2009, 03:23 PM   #7
Igilligan

Get the original one here

A link to the pentax webstore

PentaxWebstore Mount Adapter B (35mm Screwmount to Bayonet)
06-16-2009, 03:28 PM   #8
Forum Member

I have lenses that have free play and others that don't. The ones with free play are where the lens actually is not wide enough to sit on the body and is only supported by the adapter. If the lens makes proper contact with the camera body they form a solid mount.

cheers

Greg