Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-16-2009, 11:12 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Travel lens?

Hi all,

I'm about to go on a 2 week trip to Turkey and I've got some questions about lenses to take.

Here's the situation.

The customs information on the Turkey website says that they'll allow

"one camera with 5 rolls of film"

Of course, my K10D doesn't take film and they also don't say anything about detachable lenses.

I would bring my 16-50 and 50-135, ideally. However, I'm worried that carrying two lenses (or even 3 if I take my 50) may be too much of a hassle to bring and use, or even bring into the country!

I'm considering a rush order of the 18-250 zoom, but am reluctant to make the sacrifice given the poor performance of this lens.

Anyone have suggestions regarding a good travel lens choice? Should I stick with what I've got or look to spend more $$.

06-16-2009, 11:21 AM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by smigol Quote
Hi all,

I'm about to go on a 2 week trip to Turkey and I've got some questions about lenses to take.

Here's the situation.

Of course, my K10D doesn't take film and they also don't say anything about detachable lenses.

I would bring my 16-50 and 50-135, ideally. However, I'm worried that carrying two lenses (or even 3 if I take my 50) may be too much of a hassle to bring and use, or even bring into the country!

I'm considering a rush order of the 18-250 zoom, but am reluctant to make the sacrifice given the poor performance of this lens.

Anyone have suggestions regarding a good travel lens choice? Should I stick with what I've got or look to spend more $$.
Don't buy pentax 18-250, it is not worth the money, if you need 18-250 make sure you buy the tamron one.

But I would say you will have no problem going to turkey with 2-3 lenses and the custom will not care since it is clear that you are using them to take photo and not to sell them in there.

I think you got nice glass to bring with you to turkey already, I am sure you would like good quilty photo to see when you are back home and I am sure you care about IQ or not you will not buy *grade lens.

Anyway pentax 18-250 is not to be considered, the only acceptable super zoom lens is the 18-250 tamron but they are still no way near your * quilty lens

P.S. you might want to consider buying a 1.4x convertor to bring alone with you.
06-16-2009, 02:51 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by m42geo Quote
Don't buy pentax 18-250, it is not worth the money, if you need 18-250 make sure you buy the tamron one...

Anyway pentax 18-250 is not to be considered, the only acceptable super zoom lens is the 18-250 tamron ...
Those statements are strange. Those two lenses are either identical or close enough to being identical that it doesn't matter.

As for Turkey, customs laws can be so vague on one thing and specific on another that I would contact the Turkish Embassy for a definitive answer. This is for Washington:

contact@turkishembassy.org

If they tell you it's OK, keep the email and their name with you when you go through customs as backup.
06-16-2009, 02:55 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Dave, to be safe you may wish to consider registering your gear with customs before you leave. This ensures no issues on your return and the gear you are bringing.

Regards,
Marc

06-16-2009, 06:56 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
Those statements are strange. Those two lenses are either identical or close enough to being identical that it doesn't matter.

As for Turkey, customs laws can be so vague on one thing and specific on another that I would contact the Turkish Embassy for a definitive answer. This is for Washington:

contact@turkishembassy.org

If they tell you it's OK, keep the email and their name with you when you go through customs as backup.
He might be saying that due to people's reports that the two lenses are basically identical (even to the SMC) and that Tamron has 6 year warranty instead of 1 from Pentax.

I think Pentax would have a better QC. I haven't heard of a bad Tamron 18-250 but their other lenses often have QC issues.

Last edited by Andi Lo; 06-16-2009 at 07:47 PM.
06-16-2009, 07:49 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you have the kit lens, 18-55mm then I would buy the DA55-300mm to match it.
06-16-2009, 10:16 PM   #7
Veteran Member

"18-250 zoom, but am reluctant to make the sacrifice given the poor performance of this lens"

???? The Pentax version has a 8.3 average rating (13 reviewers) in the "lens review" section of this forum (a pretty good grade for a zoom), very good reviews on amazon and elsewhere... Plus, numerous reports from people who really like it (including myself). But I guess it depends on your expectations.
06-17-2009, 09:56 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies, all.

I'm going to register my two zooms that I mentioned in the original post as I go through customs. I've tried contacting the embassy and am waiting to hear back from them.

I understand that the real concern for the customs check is to make sure that I'm not trying to import items that haven't gone through the proper channels (re: taxes).

Regarding my comment about the performance of the 18-250, some of the reviews noted a vignette effect that didn't disappear until stopped down to F8 to F11.

06-17-2009, 10:05 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Yes. that's true: the vignetting effect can be pretty bad (especially in low or harsh light). But DxO Pro Optics Standard takes care of it + improves the overall quality of the pictures.
06-17-2009, 01:27 PM   #10
Pentaxian

And really, you should look at the images themselves not just test chart results and see just how bad you find the vignetting. The 16-50 vignettes pretty significantly too, but you haven't mentioned being dissatisfied with that one. Personally, I'm more sensitive to distortion than vignetting, and again, both lenses distort at the wide end enough to be noticeable. but whether it's a problem in practice or not is another matter.
06-17-2009, 02:40 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Hi all,

Here's the situation.

Millions and millions of people go to Turkey for their vacation every year, you'll find many, many west and east Europeans there. Experience tells us that Turkish customs are very strict on drugs, but everything else goes through without problems. They have long borders as well, it is not like entering the USA. Nobody will be confiscating your lenses. Don't worry.

I have the 18-250mm Tamron, excellent travel companion, make sure you have some software to correct the vignetting at 18mm all open. Its only noticeable then and with blue skies. That is the only real issue with the lens.
You will appreciate its weigth and versitality when moving around.

- Bert
06-17-2009, 03:08 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Hi all,

Here's the situation.

Don't worry. I was in Istanbul 2 years ago and as always everywhere else I had 3 lenses with me. Istanbul, May 2007 Photo Gallery by Piotr Sobolewski at pbase.com
06-17-2009, 03:17 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Langille Quote
To be safe you may wish to consider registering your gear with customs before you leave. This ensures no issues on your return and the gear you are bringing.

Regards,
Marc

This was a good tip. I mught have a chance to use it next year.
06-18-2009, 07:51 AM   #14
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I heard back from the embassy -- they said it was ok to take "one of each."

I'm thinking that this means that so long as I don't take a duplicate lens to avoid resale problems.

Now I'm wondering if I should take my 50mm 1.4 for night time shots...
06-18-2009, 08:03 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
He might be saying that due to people's reports that the two lenses are basically identical (even to the SMC) and that Tamron has 6 year warranty instead of 1 from Pentax.
FYI, 6 year Tamron warranty is only for USA, everywhere else gets the International Warranty which is 1 year.