Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2006, 05:24 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Should I keep these lenses?

Hi all,

I am having trouble making a decision here so I am hoping you will be able to help me here. Currently I have some FA28/2.8, M28/3.5, FA35/2, M35/2.8, FA50/1.4 and M50/1.7, ie duplicate lenses in the same focal length. I am thinking of selling the manual focus lenses but I have read that M28/3.5 and M50/1.7 are sharper wide-open than their AF counterparts, not to mention their fabulous MF feel (always get a kick out of it when I use them!). However, I am finding myself using the AF lenses more often than the MF lenses due to the convenience of AF.

So what do you think? Should I keep the MF lenses as a backup for my AF lenses? Or should I sell/trade/swap the lenses?

Thanks
Kenny

11-02-2006, 05:41 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Believe it or not, I say yes - sell the lenses.

How can a guy toting around 9 50mm lenses advocate getting rid of one out of two? Well, I simply don't like using the M (or K) series lenses. I am glad I sought the A version of these old manual focus beauties, because it really is a clunky implementation on the pre-A lenses.

If you want to fill the space with some fine manual focus lenses, give the screw mount Super-Multi-Coated Takumars a try. They're as nice or nicer than their K-mount counterparts and are a bit cheaper.

--Sean

(PS - If the M50/1.7 is or is not sharper than the FA50/1.4 doesn't really matter unless you're planning to shoot, print and hang USAF test charts on your wall!)
11-03-2006, 01:40 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kjao Quote
[...]
I am thinking of selling the manual focus lenses but I have read that M28/3.5 and M50/1.7 are sharper wide-open than their AF counterparts
[...]
Why don't you just make some test shots instead of reading someones subjective opinions?
11-03-2006, 03:40 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi Kjao

Ultimatly Thats your call. I however am keeping mine only beacuse all my Pentax M Lenses Were purchased For my ME. I am trying To get my Son interested In photography and the ME would make a great learning Tool.
I Did initally use them with My DS, However my eyesight Is getting Worse and i just cannot Focus as well. So i just use my AF lenses.

BK

11-03-2006, 05:58 PM   #5
Inactive Account

I would say keep the lenses. But then again if you would want to give up the K mt M lenses to some one who is just starting out, and can't afford the more expensive lenses. Or a student who would value the lens as gold and use them as a learning experience. Then I would eithe sell them or donate them to a worthy cause.
Just my two pennys.

Good Shooting.
Cheers: David
11-04-2006, 02:51 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone! Looks like I might be selling some of the manual focus lenses to make room in my camera bag! I was thinking I might keep them for my MZ-5 but with K10D coming out and good price of K100D, I don't think MZ-5 will see much use since I will be picking up either K10D or K100D next year.

Carpents: I would have liked to have a few more 'A' lenses but they are generally more expensive, harder to find, and/or don't perform as well as the M or K. Eg K85/1.8 and K135/2.5

Edvinas: no formal tests but I did find that, for example, M28/3.5 sharper than FA28/2.8 in their wide-open performance but only if you're pixel-peeping.

BK: pls see my reply above regarding MZ-5

Photo Tramp: I was thinking of donating part of the money to another free Pentax forum (in Chineses) I visit quite regularly (alreadly made a donation to this forum).

Thanks!

Kenny
11-16-2006, 01:38 AM   #7
Inactive Account

M42's

I like using the old screwmounts, but they do limit the features of your Digital available to you.

Question, after you sell them, will you miss them? If so, keep them! The optics are fantastic never mind fun to use. There is also a big resurgence in collecting the older Pentax lenses!

If purchasing a new lens for the Pentax Digitals, I would pay the extra and get what Pentax or other brands are bringing out in made-for-digital lenses.

11-17-2006, 06:27 PM   #8
Forum Member

M42

I have M42 zeiss lenses and they are great. I also have a couple of M's and A's besides my DAs. I primarily use my M42s on my old Praktica and my Ms on my Me Super.

My go to lens has become my DA 50-200 with my 2x converter if necessary.