Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-16-2009, 11:54 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
got tagged by LBA recently...

consider me as one of those Pentax sickos here.

I had acquired 5 Pentax items in a matter of 2 weeks. that would be the K-7 and 4 lenses.

as for the lenses, I got the 50mm f2, A 50mm 1.2, FA 50mm 1.7, and just recently an FA 100 2.8 macro. as you've noticed, these are all primes. I kinda have this fetish with prime lenses and besides it wouldn't be fitting of my stature as a prime lens person if I bought a zoom lens, eventhough a zoom lens can come in handy. but anyway, that's it.

since I got the 1.2 and 1.7 50s' for my portraitures (one for bokeh, indoor and outdoor slow shooting and one for outdoor fast and sharp shooting) , I have no practical use for the 50 f2 anymore but rather put it on display and have it enclosed on a glass box as an artifact (lol). got the FA 100 for long and macro shots, luckily I saw this sitting on a shop with no buyers on sight, grabbed it before anyone else realized that it's an FA 2.8. I have to think Peter Zack for this one, for giving me some thoughts and insights and hope that this lens do extremely great on the K-7's sensor.

anyway, I'm not done yet and I have F*/FA* 300mm 4.5 for my next target probably on x'mas after all the had settled and receive a x'mas bonus, or if someone could offer me a really good price for it, I might consider buying it as an early x'mas present for myself. lol.

anyway, I believe buying these lenses is a better idea rather than buying some cheap and above average lenses and alternatives. after all, what's the sense of buying something that you would patiently use temporarily, if you could replenish your resources on buying better ones now or in the future.

Ok, I believe I need my panacea now.

06-17-2009, 08:30 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
...as for the lenses, I got the 50mm f2, A 50mm 1.2, FA 50mm 1.7, and just recently an FA 100 2.8 macro. as you've noticed, these are all primes. I kinda have this fetish with prime lenses and besides it wouldn't be fitting of my stature as a prime lens person if I bought a zoom lens, eventhough a zoom lens can come in handy. but anyway, that's it.
I think of myself as a prime and manual focus person, and my last LBA purchase was an AF zoom. All those recent threads about cheap wide angle lenses reawakened my desire for the DA 16-45 f4, and one appeared like magic in the marketplace. I'm sure I won't discover anything unknown about that lens, but I might discover something new about my photography.

Just to keep things real, I bought four manual focus primes as well. Can't wait for the mail man.
06-17-2009, 08:53 AM   #3
Veteran Member

OP, you got too many of the same focal length... you don't need the 50mm f/2 and 50mm f/1.7. Buy lenses according to focal length and right now you lack a decent wideangle lens, something that is probably more practical than a long 300mm tele. I know you prefer primes but don't discount zooms, zooms lenses today are pretty good and offer great versatility especially if you're shooting from a fixed position. The DA* 16-50mm, DA 14mm, DA 21mm or DA 12-24mm are all good lenses limited only by how you use them.
06-17-2009, 09:09 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You are lucky!

I get hot every time I read or hear "A 50mm 1.2" sentence. And guess what? There is no way I`m selling my PK Cosina 55mm 1.2 to fund it since they are completely different!

This LBA is costly.

06-17-2009, 09:14 AM   #5

Well... I may be interested on selling my FA*300mm... probably...
06-17-2009, 10:37 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
OP, you got too many of the same focal length... you don't need the 50mm f/2 and 50mm f/1.7. Buy lenses according to focal length and right now you lack a decent wideangle lens, something that is probably more practical than a long 300mm tele. I know you prefer primes but don't discount zooms, zooms lenses today are pretty good and offer great versatility especially if you're shooting from a fixed position. The DA* 16-50mm, DA 14mm, DA 21mm or DA 12-24mm are all good lenses limited only by how you use them.

thanks creampuff. I will consider those choices as well regarding the wide angle lenses.

't worry about the 50mm f/2 coz I got it for a real bargain (almost free) . I will use it as a souvenir or as a model sample for my shoots (see, it still has a purpose in a sort of way). though I find the FA f/1.7 of practical use considering that my not-so-good vision could affect my focusing speed, especially during those situations where an AF lens could come in handy. atleast when using the 1.2, I have the time in the world to even blink for a minute or 2.
06-17-2009, 10:39 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ilya80 Quote
You are lucky!

I get hot every time I read or hear "A 50mm 1.2" sentence. And guess what? There is no way I`m selling my PK Cosina 55mm 1.2 to fund it since they are completely different!

This LBA is costly.
yes it is costly, but I believe it's worth it.
06-17-2009, 10:40 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cooldude14es Quote
Well... I may be interested on selling my FA*300mm... probably...
to sell or not to sell? that is the question and please stop teasing me.