Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2009, 08:26 PM   #61
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey, Andrew, I'm with you. I've never (that is at no time in my life) have I ever owned a 50mm prime lens, and I have used Pentax as my only SLR brand for some 48 years now. I have owned two (2) 55mm lenses. They both came with an included camera body. I find that I nearly always want to
  • Keep the subject size the same and diminish the background, or
  • Keep the subject size the same and enlarge the background, or
  • Keep the background the same and diminish the subject, or
  • Keep the background the same and enlarge the subject.
With the normal zooms, this is a piece of cake. Zoom out, walk in, Zoom in walk out, zoom in walk out, zoom out walk in.

I know, I am just not a true Pentax geek.

06-24-2009, 03:32 PM   #62
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I just don't get all you lens-junkies. There are bad lenses and good lenses, zooms and primes, but I just can't understand why anyone would want to have several almost identical lenses. I mean, if the lens is s**t, get rid of it, and if it's good, keep it. But why really want to get another one? I mean, there will be only one you'll using at the same time in each body. None of the 50's are really that different to really justify having several.

And as for the subject, I have two. FA 50/1.4 for my k20d and old Porst M42 50/1.7 for my film body. So far I've never missed a shot because of those two and both of them are supersharp/sharpenough for me with sweet bokehs too. Maybe the 50 is a bit tight for some situations in a crop-body, but at the same time in a crop it's almost perfect portrait lens, so I don't think I'd swap it for anything.

Also, maybe some lenses are worth all the masturbation, but most of the people here in the PentaxForum should go out and improve they're shooting skills rather than just stay in and browse ebay for the next collectible item. And that's after a quick browse on the gallery and on the contest-photos.

And yes, I know I'm not any better than all of you, I'm just having too much spare time at work and browsing all the photoforums makes me sad: Bad pictures and too much random and useless chitchat on "technical" issues.
06-24-2009, 05:35 PM   #63
Site Supporter

Unless you count 55s and 58s, I only have about 8. So 7 isn't too many.
06-24-2009, 06:01 PM   #64
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by emilf Quote
I'm looking for arguments on how many and what 50mm lenses you really need in your bag.
One more than you already have in your bag.

Rinse.

Repeat.

The following all have the attribute of wonderful construction. I keep them as much for the feel as for anything:

Spotmatic F
SMC Takumar 55/1.8 - all around normal lens that just fits the body well.
S-M-C Takumar 50/1.4 - The best color of all my 50's

KX
K50/1.2 - bokeh, bragging rights.
K50/1.4 - my original lens - bokeh, sentimental value

MESuper
M50/1.4 - my second lens - That special M lens feel, Bokeh, sentimental value
M50/1.7 - sharpest 50 I own

The construction of these is not as good, but other qualities are ->

K10D
A50/1.4 - "A" contacts, bokeh
FA50/1.4 AF, sharp enough, good enough bokeh. My quick 'n dirty all-around lens.

06-24-2009, 11:09 PM   #65
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sealisthenewbeaver Quote
...Bad pictures and too much random and useless chitchat on "technical" issues.
Awww, come on! Our pictures are not really that bad are they?

I guess collecting lenses is a little like collecting wine. All are capable of getting you drunk, though the connoisseur may argue that the journey to that point is more important than the end destination.

There really are differences between the 50s I own and I keep each of them for a different reason. Most are just type appropriate for the bodies they are mounted on most of the time. One (the M42 Rikenon), I go to for a particular type of image, though even it "belongs" to the Singlex TLS body it came with.

Do I like them all? Yep.

Will I part with any of them? Yep, most likely as part of body/lens combo.

Do I need all of them? Nope.

Would I be happy with one for the K-mount bodies and another for the M42 bodies? Maybe.

Steve

(Should probably just get rid of all the extra bodies. That would take care of the excess lens problem. Let me see...how many M42 bodies should you have...?)

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-25-2009 at 09:02 AM.
06-25-2009, 08:40 AM   #66
Site Supporter

I just don't get all you lens-junkies. There are bad lenses and good lenses, zooms and primes, but I just can't understand why anyone would want to have several almost identical lenses. I mean, if the lens is s**t, get rid of it, and if it's good, keep it. But why really want to get another one? I mean, there will be only one you'll using at the same time in each body. None of the 50's are really that different to really justify having several.

And as for the subject, I have two. FA 50/1.4 for my k20d and old Porst M42 50/1.7 for my film body. So far I've never missed a shot because of those two and both of them are supersharp/sharpenough for me with sweet bokehs too. Maybe the 50 is a bit tight for some situations in a crop-body, but at the same time in a crop it's almost perfect portrait lens, so I don't think I'd swap it for anything.

Also, maybe some lenses are worth all the masturbation, but most of the people here in the PentaxForum should go out and improve they're shooting skills rather than just stay in and browse ebay for the next collectible item. And that's after a quick browse on the gallery and on the contest-photos.

And yes, I know I'm not any better than all of you, I'm just having too much spare time at work and browsing all the photoforums makes me sad: Bad pictures and too much random and useless chitchat on "technical" issues.
Perhaps there are reasons we aren't out taking pics. Many of us take a lot of pics but you don't like them anyway so go to dpreview and hang their if boring is more your style.

However, as Stevebrot pointed out, there are some differences among 50mm lenses. Granted there are some that are very close. However I have a film body collection and most of my 50s are paired with a body. As far as m42 goes, 2 of my lenses are for those, one is a 50mm f1.4 and the other is a 1:1 macro. 2 are Canon macros, 1 is for my Mamiya. The other 3 are for my K-mount bodies. The FA 50mm f1.4 is for my 2 digital bodies and SuperProgram and the M 50mm f1.4 and f1.7 are for my k2 bodies.
06-25-2009, 10:38 PM   #67
Veteran Member

You wouldn't ask a stamp collector why they need another 3c stamp, would you?
It's kinda the same thing - a low-level collection urge, the rush of the 'find', the
fun of shooting each and looking for slight differences in rendering... All part of
the hobby.

06-25-2009, 11:55 PM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
You wouldn't ask a stamp collector why they need another 3c stamp, would you?
It's kinda the same thing - a low-level collection urge, the rush of the 'find', the
fun of shooting each and looking for slight differences in rendering... All part of
the hobby.
Exactly. It's the same with every hobby, some people are as interested in the gear as in the craft. I don't think it's a bad thing. Also, I do quite a bit of web browsing at work, so it's not eating into my "picture taking" time, whatever that is...

06-26-2009, 01:36 AM   #69
Inactive Account

Sure collecting whateverstuff is another case, I understand that very well. But I'd still compare collecting photographic gear rather to collecting cars than to collecting stamps. You can still use the cars, but you can only have those stamps. And if I had a nice collection of cars, I'd really love to drive them around, not just keep the in the garage and swipe them!

But if the question is "how many 50mm should you have", I find the only answer to be one. I mean, even if those 50s are different, they're not THAT different to really justify having several copies unless there are several bodies, or well, if you're a collector.
06-26-2009, 03:52 AM   #70
Veteran Member

Sure collecting whateverstuff is another case, I understand that very well. But I'd still compare collecting photographic gear rather to collecting cars than to collecting stamps. You can still use the cars, but you can only have those stamps. And if I had a nice collection of cars, I'd really love to drive them around, not just keep the in the garage and swipe them!

But if the question is "how many 50mm should you have", I find the only answer to be one. I mean, even if those 50s are different, they're not THAT different to really justify having several copies unless there are several bodies, or well, if you're a collector.
It comes down to nuances, I guess. I'm a guitarist as well, and nobody understands why I need 10 different guitars, 5 different distortion pedals and 3 amplifiers!
I don't have time to play all of them as much as I want, but I still would not like to part with a single one of them.
06-26-2009, 07:21 AM   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Keep them all!

I have four,

K50/1.2
K50/1.4
K50/4 Macro
K55/1.8
Aah, someone with great taste in lenses! I like every original K I have ever held. My list is similar to yours but I don't have the macro... and the 1.2 is on it's jolly way home to me

Recently sold two M 50 2.0 lenses that I didn't use nor like that much. Still in the cabinet is a Super Takumar 55mm 1.8 and a Auto Takumar 55mm 2.2... that should be it.
06-26-2009, 07:32 AM   #72
Site Supporter

Think of owning several fast 50mm as having a 1958 Corvette, 1958 T-bird, Original Shelby Cobra, a Deuce Coup and an original Eleanor.
06-26-2009, 07:35 AM   #73
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimfear Quote
Aah, someone with great taste in lenses! I like every original K I have ever held. My list is similar to yours but I don't have the macro... and the 1.2 is on it's jolly way home to me

Recently sold two M 50 2.0 lenses that I didn't use nor like that much. Still in the cabinet is a Super Takumar 55mm 1.8 and a Auto Takumar 55mm 2.2... that should be it.
Hey, the 55mm don't count in this discussion or I'll have to go back and adjust my "count" and rationale.
06-26-2009, 07:50 AM   #74

*sigh*....alas, I have only one.
But, as soon as my money tree blooms, I'll get another.
06-26-2009, 10:40 AM   #75
Pentaxian

They may not be that different to you, but they might be that different to someone else. Who knows why someone has 10 different 50's, or why. Maybe just because they can. Personally, I only have 2.