Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2009, 02:09 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by K McCall Quote
I have the DA* 200, and I have no complaints except the weight. I realize that in the grand scheme of things, it isn't a heavy lens, but compared to my other lenses, it's the heaviest.

But I find myself in plenty of situations where I wish I HAD brought it out with me. The times I do take it out, it performs admirably.

I don't take a lot of portraits in general, but I've enjoyed the few times I've used it for my self-portrait project:

#326 of 365: Never Going Back Again on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I generally stick more to nature subjects, and I find it performs well there as well:

Keitha, is it? Welcome to the forum, and nice job.

06-18-2009, 02:10 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks

I have the DA* 200, and I have no complaints except the weight. I realize that in the grand scheme of things, it isn't a heavy lens, but compared to my other lenses, it's the heaviest.

But I find myself in plenty of situations where I wish I HAD brought it out with me. The times I do take it out, it performs admirably.

I don't take a lot of portraits in general, but I've enjoyed the few times I've used it for my self-portrait project:

I generally stick more to nature subjects, and I find it performs well there as well:

Rainy Day Red Leaves #5 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Froggy Froggy Frog Frog on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I find it sharp and contrasty even wide-open:

Underwater on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Thanks!
And welcome to the forum!
Big fan of your work and I am always sure to check out your posts at the "other" forum.
Look forward to seeing your work here too
06-18-2009, 03:29 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Does anyone have examples of images at infinity for this lens? I'm curious if the performance would make it a modern swap for my 200 f2.5.
06-18-2009, 03:37 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Rainy Day Red Leaves #5 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Froggy Froggy Frog Frog on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I find it sharp and contrasty even wide-open:

Underwater on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Keitha... good to see you here finally!!

your 200mm pics are amazing!!

06-18-2009, 03:45 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Very sharp fun glass the DA*200mm

K10D with DA*200mm @ f2.8

06-18-2009, 03:54 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So this is where you found me! Thanks so much for the warm welcome! I hope I can contribute something here
06-18-2009, 03:55 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Thanks so much! I've been more of a lurker here, but I'm trying to change that

06-18-2009, 03:56 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Thanks!

Thank you! I really need to take this lens out more, though. Maybe tomorrow....
06-18-2009, 04:00 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bwield Quote
Seems to be the forgotten DA*.
Only 3 reviews in the lens review section and barely ever a mention on the forum.
Is it because its a awkward focal length on a DSLR?
To expensive?
From all accounts it seems to be a good performer, however even in PPG it is under-represented in comparison with the other DA*'s.
You may be aware the the DA*200mm is relatively new. You should also look at FA*200mm which has the same optical formula as the DA version.

Its wide open performance comparable to the best of other prime. Its sharpness is undisputed

Wide open at F2.8

Almost wide open at F3.2

Almost wide open at F3.2

QuoteQuote:
I am looking at getting it and than later the DA*300mm, however though I can find lots of reviews / thoughts on the 300mm the 200mm seems almost forgotten.

Any proud DA*200mm owners out there?
Maybe we can showcase the forgotten DA*200mm

This is a big statement : why bother with DA*300mm if you have DA*200mm?

One of the biggest deal of DA200mm is that itis the best lens for you to skip 300mm entirely. Get the SDM 1.4 or 1.5 TC and it will match to a considerable degree the optical performance of the F4 DA*300mm. Make sure you get the right TC though.

I hardly do that as I do have A300mmF4 - an earlier purchase. But for someone who has none of both, get the DA200mm is the best setup. Save you a bundle.

QuoteOriginally posted by smigol Quote
Does anyone have examples of images at infinity for this lens? I'm curious if the performance would make it a modern swap for my 200 f2.5.
I hardly shoot that in infinity. This is the infinity at F5.6. Absolutely creamy

I use the lens almost as a semi macro with its very close min focus distance. This image is uncropped

Daniel

Last edited by danielchtong; 06-18-2009 at 04:18 PM.
06-18-2009, 04:45 PM   #25
Veteran Member

For those who has it... is DA* 200 FF compatible? And it would be nice if you can add this information in the "da lenses on full frame" thread
06-18-2009, 05:17 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
For those who has it... is DA* 200 FF compatible? And it would be nice if you can add this information in the "da lenses on full frame" thread
It is confirmed as it has exactly the FA* optics

Sorry it is in Chinese and I am sure there are numerous comparison with the FA* version

[PENTAX DA?200F2.8???]DA?200F2.8?FA?200F2.8????? - Pentax Fans Club

Daniel
06-18-2009, 05:58 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Optically identical, c'mon Pentax, where is the rest of the FA* line-up in DA* clothing at? And while you are at it, can I have BIG GOLD PENTAX LETTERING on my lens hood!
06-18-2009, 06:13 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
Optically identical, c'mon Pentax, where is the rest of the FA* line-up in DA* clothing at? And while you are at it, can I have BIG GOLD PENTAX LETTERING on my lens hood!
YES! what he said!!
are they not reading this forum ?
06-18-2009, 06:15 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
I would love Pentax to reissue FA135mm. Of course with weather seal and SDM.

I have been eyeing the FA*200mm for years and years in ebay and about to pull the trigger at around $1500. Then it dropped to $1200. All of a sudden DA*200mm came out exactly the same except Pentax threw in weather seal and SDM. It was just a no brainer at $1100. I probably got the 2nd or the 3 rd one in N Am judging from posting in various Pentax forums.

Daniel
06-18-2009, 06:51 PM   #30

I hesitated a long time before buying my DA*200. At first, I wanted a DA*300. However, since I wanted to use this lens for indoor sports in gymnasiums and pools, I figured 300mm would be a little long and f/4 a little slow (I have a K10D and it's not as good as the K20D in high ISO). Finally got the DA*200 and never regreted it. IQ is fantastic and it focuses quickly, much faster than my DA*50-135 in fact. Recetly, I bought a 1.7X adapter. I am amazed by the IQ of this combo. Almost as good as my DA*200 alone. I also saw pictures of the DA*300 + 1.7X adapter on this forum and on the other forum (DPR) and the results are also very good. Thus, I'm keeping my DA*200 for sure, but that leaves me with a question. Should I now buy the DA*300 for birding with the 1.7X adapter or should I wait for Pentax's next supertelephoto lens to come out? Another tough dilema. Anybody know what this lens should be? A 400mm f/5.6 maybe?