Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2009, 09:25 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Smc 1.4/50

Recently bought an ESII with SMC/1.4/50 just for the lens to put on my older M42 bodies. Some say it is the best 1.4/50 ever!!! Turns out the camera worked fine when I put batteries in it but the lens is sluggish to re-open.

Anyone willing to help me get into the mechanicals of this thing or send me a link to a repair manual or instructions for SMC 1.4/50?

PS: I have hammer and cold chisel ready!

06-18-2009, 09:43 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax 50mm f/1.4 strip-down instructions

Try this - H2
06-18-2009, 10:50 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Those instructions should work well for your lens. You'll probably see phillips screws instead of slotted ones, that's about it. Go to where the instructions say "The front group can be removed at this stage..." Take out that front group and you can see the top of the aperture blades. If there is obvious oil (they look shiny) clean them with naptha and a cotton swab until they move better and look dry.

If that doesn't help, set the focus ring to infinity, then follow the instructions for removing the focus ring, but stop there and don't take anything else off. Turn the brass ring that the focus ring was attached to maybe 45 clockwise and look on the side of the tube that is extending for three tiny slotted screws. These grub screws hold the aperture mechanism inside this barrel. Loosen them and you can remove it. When reinstalling, align the single slot in its rim with a small hole in the lens barrel. This step keeps the aperture mechanism in proper relationship with the aperture ring.

Now you can get to both sides of the blades. If you want to remove individual blades, first scratch an index mark on the side across the seam. Take out the three screws on the side and the halves come apart. All the blades fall out. Getting them back in is an exercise in patience.

You might follow the instructions further and check the mechanism within the lens mount. I have this lens right in front of me with clean blades and a well-functioning mechanism, but a similar problem, slow return. It is just a bit slower than it should be and I can't tell why. On the ESII, it might matter more, but it won't affect use on a DSLR.

Last edited by Just1MoreDave; 06-18-2009 at 10:55 AM.