Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2009, 12:27 PM   #1
Veteran Member

voigtlander 40mm

I have been interested by the 40mm and was wondering if anyone has one? have tried the search function and gone throuhgt the Voitlander thread but have not seen many pics from the 40mm. I have the 58 and love the feel of it so am tempted by the 40 but am just curious what the images look like from it.
Curious also for a comparison between it and the 43ltd other than one is manual and the other is autofocus? I have the FA 43 ltd so looking to see if it was very different from that lens. sorry for the disorganized rambling post

06-18-2009, 01:05 PM   #2
Forum Member

Have it, love it. Manual focus feels and works great with this lens and the incredible build quality makes it tons of fun to use. It is absolutely sharp wide open, reproduces great colours and contrarily to what I've read I think that the bokeh looks good. I use it as my ultra-compact fast normal on my K-m, mostly for street shots at night.

The second shot is not entirely sharp due to motion etc., but then again it's only ISO400.

I highly recommend this lens for its compact size and fast, sharp maximum aperture. Manual focus is pure bliss and the build quality and design make it a joy to have it on your camera (don't have any shots of it due to lack of second camera but it looks awesome on the K-m). The price is fair, too, in my opinion.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-m  Photo     
06-18-2009, 01:25 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There are some samples here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/50084-voigtlan...tron-slii.html

and here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/22944-test-run...mm-f2-0-a.html

I also have the FA43 (and the Nokton), but am tempted by this one too. Never tried one though.

The FA43 is fantastic, but at some apertures the bokeh has some odd shapes. The Ultron has rounded blades which might help in that area.
06-18-2009, 05:17 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have to admit the photos from roentarre really make me want this lens doesnt make LBA any easier

06-18-2009, 10:46 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Due to my site being revamped and sub-galleries being amputated, apology for pictures not showing up!

However, this lens is really a gimmicky thing. What I can really say about this lens is that it renders amazing colour at f2. Night time photography with this lens is really a winner using ISO 800 (stopping down by 1 2/3 stops)

The later bokeh can manifest in metallic surface in close up focusing distances.

Otherwise, it is a nice small lens to own and play with. Yes, a playful lens