Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2007, 10:18 AM   #1

autofocus blocked on 21mm

I bought a 21mm at friday, today, between two shots, the friction in the focusring increased so much that the autofucus-motor couldnt dial in correct focus anymore. There seems to be focusproblems too. Sharpness seems to be a little ahead of focuspoint.

Any of you experienced this before?

04-29-2007, 11:25 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There's been reports of Front/Back Focus. My recommendation is to just use manaul focus to fine tune what you want.

Pentax was never really known for its AF abilities. Plus they didn't make such a bright and crisp viewfinder for nothing.
04-29-2007, 12:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

21 Limited...Defective.

QuoteOriginally posted by chals Quote
I bought a 21mm at friday, today, between two shots, the friction in the focusring increased so much that the autofucus-motor couldnt dial in correct focus anymore. There seems to be focusproblems too. Sharpness seems to be a little ahead of focuspoint.

Any of you experienced this before?
Take it back. I am on my third 21 Limited. The first had exactly the problem you are describing. It is not normal. The focussing ring is so stiff that you are concerned that something might break..I know. The second had FF and BF issues and the third seems fine. I will add that it is the lens that I feel the least secure using and am constantly double checking it's performance. When it works well it is very sharp.

Your lens is defective. Exchange it for another one.

PS..Perhaps you got the one I returned to Pentax...LOL.

Ben
04-29-2007, 12:58 PM   #4

Yeah, thats not normal. I would take that one back and get an exchange.

04-29-2007, 01:14 PM   #5

Original Poster
Your replies will make it easier for me when I get in contact with Pentax tomorrow. Thank you.
04-29-2007, 01:28 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think this has something to do with the Quick Shift.
This is some kind of friction clutch and perhaps something got stuck.