Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2009, 08:10 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Samples from the $5.99 special...

Late this afternoon I took receipt of my "new" lens - a Osawa MC 28mm f/2.8 MF lens... and darn it, it was gloomy and raining outside. My 1st MF lens - and for $12/shipped, why not?

ISO 400, f/2.8, 1/8 sec:

ISO 400, f/2.8, 1/6 sec:

Focusing is a little tough with the K2000's VF... would the O-ME53 loupe be much help?

06-18-2009, 08:13 PM   #2
F16

Saw this lens on Ebay, nice deal but I already have a couple of 28mm lenses I'm happy with so let it go to a better home. Looks like it's doing a nice job for you.
06-18-2009, 09:40 PM   #3
Veteran Member

That's pretty incredible considering the price, the wide-open aperture, and the longish exposure.

Great buy, I'd say!
06-18-2009, 11:00 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
That's pretty incredible considering the price, the wide-open aperture, and the longish exposure.

Great buy, I'd say!
Funny thing is, the fleabay seller (claimed he) didn't know what camera the lens fit.

Focusing mechanism feels really nice.

Would the Pentax O-ME53 loupe help me out with focusing?

06-18-2009, 11:51 PM   #5
F16

A magnifying eyepiece would help some, but I think you'd probably find a split prism focus screen more effective, they sell on Ebay for about $30. If you've ever used an older manual focus SLR, you'll know what kind of focusing screen I'm talking about. These focusing screens can cause some metering issues though, so they're not without their downsides. Since you only have 1 manual focus lens, you might want to just try working on your manual focus skills before investing in anything else. I have a K100Ds that I believe has the same viewfinder specs as the K2000, and while it is small and not ideal, even with my less than great eyesight I have decent results with manual focusing. I have plenty of previous experience with older SLRs though, but with a DSLR at least it's not going to cost anything to practice. I'm often letting the DSLR confirm focus, then I will finely twitch the focus ring back and forth a couple times until I think it looks exactly into focus.
06-19-2009, 10:21 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by flippedgazelle Quote
Funny thing is, the fleabay seller (claimed he) didn't know what camera the lens fit.

Focusing mechanism feels really nice.

Would the Pentax O-ME53 loupe help me out with focusing?
The way eBay search is set up, most people won't see these lenses. You can configure a search to look for listings that fall outside all of the predefined categories. You'll see thousands of listings, lots of listings that you can't figure out what is being sold, very few will be something you can use, and all from uninformed or deliberately ignorant sellers. But the items will be cheap, if you're willing to go to the trouble. That's how I like to shop eBay. Warning: a tolerant significant other is required.

I have both a split-prism and a viewfinder magnifier. The viewfinder magnifier helps but it won't knock you over dead with the difference. I would say it's 10-20% better.
06-19-2009, 11:26 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
The way eBay search is set up, most people won't see these lenses. You can configure a search to look for listings that fall outside all of the predefined categories. You'll see thousands of listings, lots of listings that you can't figure out what is being sold, very few will be something you can use, and all from uninformed or deliberately ignorant sellers. But the items will be cheap, if you're willing to go to the trouble. That's how I like to shop eBay. Warning: a tolerant significant other is required.

I have both a split-prism and a viewfinder magnifier. The viewfinder magnifier helps but it won't knock you over dead with the difference. I would say it's 10-20% better.
Yeah, there's quite a few somewhat confusing and mysterious postings on eBay... over the years I've managed to glom a few deals because of that.

Thanks, guys, for the advice regarding MF. I might get the Pentax loupe, as it may improve my overall viewing pleasure... and if I don't find it worthwhile, I'll eBay it!

I did a comparison between the Osawa and my kit lens (DA L 18-55), both at 28mm, f/5.6. The lenses are comparably sharp in the center, with the Osawa a little softer at the edges. The Pentax lens is warmer and more contrasty.

Interestingly, the Osawa is only a little less sharp at f/2.8 than at f/5.6.

Right now, I'm looking for a cheap, fast 50mm, and that will satisfy my "cheap" LBA... for now.

06-19-2009, 12:12 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Looks like a candidate for the "Cheap Lens Club".