Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2007, 11:19 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Purple Fringing

Well, i decided to get a few shots of a family of birds today, and broke out the Tamron 70-300MM LD DI. And noticed the dreaded "purple fringing"

My question is, is this just a fact of life with this lens? Or, was it me not having the correct settings on the camera?

Here is a link to one of the photos: Flickr Photo Download: IMGP1251

Seems to be worse near the mama birds feet.

04-29-2007, 11:44 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi Stratman!

This is a great picture. The baby birds with their mouths wide open - I can hear their squealing!!

The purple fringing is really not noticeable to me. I've seen much, MUCH worse. I looked at the large version of your picture. I don't have that lens, so I can't tell you if it's just from that lens.

I get it horribly when I use the Vivitar 2X macro focusing teleconverter:

I didn't do it with this picture because I didn't notice it until after I'd finished uploading the picture, but the Power Retouche tools (Photoshop plugins) have an excellent purple fringe remover. I'll have to redo this picture and show you the difference. Don't know if there are any other tools like this around...
04-29-2007, 11:56 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Hmm, does that plug in also work in Photoshop Elements?
04-29-2007, 12:11 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Stratman Quote
Hmm, does that plug in also work in Photoshop Elements?
Hi again!

Yes, that's what I use - Photoshop Elements 3 (on laptop) and 5 (on desktop w/Vista). You can only use the 8-bit version, though. Here's the link:
Photoshop plugins for professional photo retouching

04-29-2007, 12:43 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Pentax Photo Lab also has aberation removal.
04-29-2007, 12:55 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Before and After Fringe removal...

Hi again!

Okay, I edited the photo. Here's the original:

and here's the edited version:

I started from the original for the edited version. Selected the bird's feet and used the tool. Then I selected the branch and used the tool. Don't use it on the entire photo or you'll remove areas that aren't fringes.

You're right, CBRFreak, but I can't stand photo_lab, though. I use BibblePro to convert from RAW to 8-bit TIFF and then go to Photoshop. One of these days I'm going to break down and buy the full Photoshop. I just keep finding lenses and bodies that I want more. HA!

Hope this helps!
04-29-2007, 01:03 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Hi again!

Okay, I edited the photo. Here's the original:

and here's the edited version:

I started from the original for the edited version. Selected the bird's feet and used the tool. Then I selected the branch and used the tool. Don't use it on the entire photo or you'll remove areas that aren't fringes.

You're right, CBRFreak, but I can't stand photo_lab, though. I use BibblePro to convert from RAW to 8-bit TIFF and then go to Photoshop. One of these days I'm going to break down and buy the full Photoshop. I just keep finding lenses and bodies that I want more. HA!

Hope this helps!

04-29-2007, 01:07 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Sorry about the double post...

I tried to edit the first one to fix the link and the 'Save' button doesn't work. Don't know if this is me or the site in general. I logged out and rebooted my system, but it still doesn't work. Can't insert smiley's either, unless I type them specifically.